Drop out of PhD in fluid mechanics and switch to Mres in mathematical physics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether it is beneficial to do a post-doc in a different area from one's PhD. Some cases have shown that having specific connections between the two areas can be desirable, while others have shown that strong grades and publications may be more important. However, there is no clear answer as everyone's circumstances and outcomes are different. The individual is advised to take a break from asking these questions and do their own research.
binbagsss
A post doc in an area that differs from my PhD?

I am currently doing a PhD in fluid mechanics but want to do mathematical physics tbh. In another thread I got an answer about a user who had done a PhD in accelerator physics and went to do a post-doc in condensed matter, vice versa even, but in their case, it seemed like it was largely about there being specific connections between the two that were desired at the times,

I've read around other cases, e.g one in biology where the areas did not relate in such a way (or so that's the impression that comes across on a first read of the story), and where in this case the student mentions how she read a lot more of this other subject she ended up going to do a post-doc in, than her current PhD topic.

But my question is, despite everyone in this forum saying otherwise, that mathematical physics programmes are harder to get into than applied maths, and, if one wasn't considered a good enough candidate to be offered a position in mathematical physics to start with- for a PhD- why would they then be for the case of a post-doc? I mean with the biology story above, I do not know about the fields enough to guess whether the situation would have been this - her grades were strong enough in the first place.

I mean having a PhD in a different area is definitely not going to make you a stronger candidate, would be my guess, would that be correct? In which case, would I be better of dropping out and going for a Mres in mathematical physics, hope to get a publication or two, which would make me a significantly stronger candidate I guess, and I would also guess with publications prior degrees would not matter as much or? Many thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have tried over and over to answer your questions.

The bottom line is everyone has a different set of circumstances and different outcomes. There is just no way of answering it for your case.

Please take a respite from these questions now. Research them online if you must but stop asking here as we simply can't answer them to your satisfaction.

We are all volunteers here and we try but sometimes we just can't provide the right answer that will make sense to you and this is one of those times.

Having said that, its time to close this thread.

1. Why did you decide to drop out of your PhD in fluid mechanics and switch to an Mres in mathematical physics?

There are a variety of reasons why someone might choose to drop out of a PhD program and switch to a different field of study. For me, I found that I was more passionate about mathematical physics and felt that it aligned better with my long-term career goals. I also realized that I was struggling to make progress in my PhD program and wanted to explore other options.

2. What is the difference between a PhD in fluid mechanics and an Mres in mathematical physics?

A PhD in fluid mechanics focuses specifically on the study of fluids and their behavior, while an Mres in mathematical physics is a more broad field that combines principles from both mathematics and physics. In an Mres program, I will have the opportunity to explore a wider range of topics and may have more flexibility in my research focus.

3. Will you have to start over completely in your new program?

No, I will not have to start over completely. Many of the courses I took during my PhD program will still be applicable to my Mres program, and I will also be able to transfer some of my research experience and skills. However, I will likely have to take additional courses and adjust my research focus to align with the requirements of the Mres program.

4. How do you think your background in fluid mechanics will benefit you in your Mres program?

Studying fluid mechanics has given me a strong foundation in mathematical and physical principles, which will be highly applicable in my Mres program. Additionally, my experience in conducting research and analyzing data will also be valuable in my new field of study.

5. What are your career goals after completing your Mres in mathematical physics?

After completing my Mres, I hope to pursue a career in research or academia, where I can continue to explore the intersection of mathematics and physics. I am also interested in applying my skills to real-world problems in industries such as engineering or technology. Ultimately, I want to use my knowledge and passion for mathematical physics to make a positive impact in the world.