Can I Catch Up on Years of Math in Two Years for a High School Exam?

• Thread starter levimaroc
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to catch up on years of math in two years in preparation for a high school exam, but it will require dedication and hard work. It is important to identify any knowledge gaps and seek help from teachers or tutors to fill them in. Consistent practice and review are also crucial in mastering math concepts. With determination and a strategic study plan, it is possible to make significant progress in a short amount of time.
levimaroc
hello everyone !
here a bit of my life story !
I'll try not to turn this into an autobiography.

back when I was in elementary I was what you could describe a talented student, I barely put an effort yet I was top of my class, I even got some awards for having such high grades.

later on i started to realize that I actually have to put in an effort because I wasn't as great in math, and I did, all on my own, not that my parents couldn't help, they definitely could if they wanted to, they just didn't, my father could perfectly read and write but that's it, and had serious anger management issues.
my mother even graduated high school so she was able to help with some subjects like French and math, but she wanted to start her own business ( that failed miserably leaving her in a ton of dept. ) so she wasn't around that much, yet she helped when she had the time,
but to make things worst at age 9, my mother started having some psychological issues that I don't know what to call even right now, the point is she was not a "normal person" anymore, often loses the ability to speak, freezes in spot for hours etc. as a result we had to move to the big city so that she can be near her family so we could get help quicker if she has an episode again, and this is where I started losing my academic level as a result of problems at home that resulted in severe anxiety and insomnia( that is still around now), and also one other reason.

the school we moved to was an absolute joke, the math teacher was literally a senile old man that can barely make the students shut up, so here goes one year of math, the year that would haunt my life because it was apparently one of the most important years for math, where were supposed to learn some of the most important stuff.
I was never able to recover from that year, I literally wasn't able to get above 7/20 in any math exam from that year on, and math was like 40 percent of the grades, which resulted in even more anxiety, i stopped doing well in even other subjects.
I failed high school multiple times yet i never lost hope, always binged YouTube videos on old math subjects in hopes of actually catching up, but the straw that broke the camel's back was that one time i asked the math teacher an apparently dumb question, so dumb in fact that she felt the need to tell me : " son, you obviously lack a huge part of the math baggage that every student suppose to have, I don't even know why you still try. ", this line was what finally made me lose hope, stopped going to school after that, even got a part time job, until i finally left school for good, i apparently lack too much math stuff to actually make it in.
so here i am, 20 years old, no high school degree and a terrible job, this is my life now, forever poor, forever bad at math.

in my country, there's this exam called " bac libre ",it basically means taking every high school national exam all at once to get your high school degree.
the exams cover physics and chemistry, philosophy French, English, history, geography, biology, religion, and of course MATH.
i applied for this exam of course, after i spent the last 2 years catching up on all the things i missed in math and physics, a ton of work, i even Brough books with me to work and did exercises during lunch breaks yet I'm still not there yet

this test in in June 2021! and I'm going to need all the help i can get, and this is why i am here.

( sorry if this wasn't very comprehensive, English isn't my first nor second language )

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. We will help as much as we can. :smile:

Just remember that when you post a question in the Homework Help forums, be sure to show as much work as you can. Once you show your attempt on a problem, we can offer tutorial help. :smile: