Improve Power Factor of Circuit to 1: Calculations and Troubleshooting | AJUBI

In summary, in order to improve the power factor of the circuit, the load needs to appear resistive. The calculations for the capacitor value seem to be incorrect, as they result in a very small value. Further assistance in understanding the error would be appreciated.
timfoster
In an assignment I was asked to improve the power factor of a certain circuit to 1. The supply is 240V peek-to-peek @ 60Hz. Rs = 58 ohm, Rl = 2 ohm and L = 8 mH. Below are my calculations but I can't seem to get the right answer. Indicating where I am going wrong would be a huge help :)

http://ajubi.com/pf.png

Xl = 2 * pi * f * l = 3.0159j Ω
Z = 60 + 3.0159j = 60.0758 phase-angle 2.8776

I = 240 / 60.0758 = 3.995 A

True Power = I^2 * R = 15.9596 * 60 = 957.576 W
Reactive Power = I^2 * X = 15.9596 * 3.0159 = 48.1326 VAR
Apparent Power = I^2 * Z = 15.9596 * 60.0758 = 958.7857 VA

Then for the capacitor:

Xc = V^2 / Q = 57600 / 48.1326 = 1196.6941 Ω;
C = 1 / ( 2 * pi * f * Xc) = 1 / ( 2 * pi * 60 * 1196.6941) = 2.3557 nF

But this value for the capacitor seems way too small :/ Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make the load appear resistive. The impedance of the load does not include the 60 Ohms.

What is power factor and why is it important?

Power factor is a measure of how efficiently a circuit uses electrical power. It is important because a low power factor can result in increased energy costs and can cause stress on the electrical system.

How can I calculate the power factor of a circuit?

The power factor is calculated by dividing the active power (measured in watts) by the apparent power (measured in volt-amperes). This can be done using a power factor meter or by using the formula: power factor = cos(θ) = P / (V x I), where θ is the phase angle, P is the active power, V is the voltage, and I is the current.

What is a desirable power factor for a circuit?

A desirable power factor is 1, which indicates that the circuit is using electrical power efficiently. A power factor below 1 can result in additional energy costs and potential damage to the electrical system.

How can I troubleshoot a low power factor in a circuit?

If you have a low power factor, you can troubleshoot by checking for any faulty equipment or connections, adjusting the power factor correction capacitors, and balancing the load across all phases of the circuit. It may be helpful to consult with a licensed electrician for assistance.

Can power factor be improved in an existing circuit?

Yes, power factor can be improved in an existing circuit by adding power factor correction capacitors, balancing the load, and making sure all equipment and connections are functioning properly. However, it is recommended to consult with a licensed electrician for any modifications to an electrical system.