Three-phase power factor correction

In summary, the problem involves calculating the capacity of capacitors to rephase the load ZL to a power factor of 1. The formula for capacity in this case is given, and the attempt at a solution involved converting the delta load to a star load and calculating the initial and final phases. However, the source voltages were not given, leading to a doubt about whether the capacity should be dependent on power and root mean square voltage or if there are more calculations to be made. The solution ultimately involved finding the equivalent impedance per phase and equating the imaginary part to 0 to find the capacitive reactance and then calculating the capacity based on the frequency. This is a method for improving power factor in a power system.
Frank-95
Hello. I have a doubt regarding the following problem:

1. Homework Statement

Calculate capacitors' capacity to rephase (cos(φF) = 1) the load ZL

image.jpg

Homework Equations

The formula to calculate capacity in this case is:

CY = P(tan(φi) - tan(φF))/ωVrms2

or

CΔ = P(tan(φi) - tan(φF))/3ωVrms2

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I converted the delta load in a star load:

ZLY = ZLΔ / 3 = 9 + 12 j Ω = 15e53,13j

The load phase is then 53,13. The final phase must be cos(φF) = 1 -> φF = 0.
In the image I posted I made an error: the pulsation isn't 50 Hz, the frequency is; hence pulsation ω = 100 π Hz.

Now I have initial and final phase, pulsation and I should apply the formula for finding capacitor, but the problem voluntarly do not give source voltages, so my doubt is: should I leave capacity dependent from power and root mean square voltage, or am I not considering something and I can make some more calculation? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you don't need to convert delta to star here. To make the pf unity, the circuit must be seen as purely resistive by the source. So, inductive reactance per phase must be canceled out by capacitive reactance per phase, connected in parallel. I think you should just calculate the equivalent impedance per phase and equate it's imaginary part to 0.You will get Xc. Given the frequency, you can find C from it.
This is a way of pf improvement in a power system.

Last edited:
Thanks I did it this way :)

1. What is three-phase power factor correction?

Three-phase power factor correction is a technique used to improve the power factor of a three-phase electrical system. The power factor is a measure of how efficiently electrical power is being used, and a low power factor can result in higher energy costs and potential damage to electrical equipment.

2. Why is power factor correction important?

Power factor correction is important because it helps to optimize the use of electrical power, resulting in cost savings and improved efficiency. It can also help to reduce strain on electrical equipment and prevent power outages.

3. How is three-phase power factor correction achieved?

Three-phase power factor correction is achieved by adding capacitive or inductive elements to the electrical system. These elements help to balance out the reactive power and improve the power factor. This can be done using specialized equipment such as capacitors, inductors, or power factor correction controllers.

4. What are the benefits of three-phase power factor correction?

The benefits of three-phase power factor correction include improved energy efficiency, reduced energy costs, increased capacity of electrical systems, and extended lifespan of electrical equipment. It can also help to meet regulatory requirements and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

5. When is three-phase power factor correction necessary?

Three-phase power factor correction is necessary when the power factor of a three-phase electrical system falls below a certain threshold, usually 0.95. This is often the case in industrial settings where there is a high demand for electrical power and a mix of inductive and capacitive loads. It may also be necessary for businesses seeking to reduce their energy costs and improve the efficiency of their electrical systems.