How am I susposed to find the active power here?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter sylent33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, a reactive power compensation can be carried out with a parallel capacitor. The value of this capacitor to achieve a power factor of 0.9 is -264.71 var.
sylent33
Homework Statement
Multiple questions
Relevant Equations
AC Power
Hi everybody;

With a halogen transformer with the data U = 230 V, f = 50 Hz, I = 1.5 A and cos ϕ = 0.35
a reactive power compensation can be carried out with a parallel capacitor Cp. ¨
(a) Calculate the value of Cp to achieve a power factor cos ϕk = 0.9.

I did that like this;

First I calculated the active power without compensation ; $$ P = U \cdot I \cdot cos \phi $$ and the reactive power without compensation $$ P = U \cdot I \cdot sin \phi $$ and I get ;
P = 120,75 W and Q = 323,15 var

Now the active power remains the same with or without compensation,so I used that to calculated the new current that will flow when we add the capacitor to the circuit;
$$ I_{new} = \frac{P}{U \cdot cos \phi_k } $$ and it should be; I = 0,583A than I calculated Q with compensation; Qcomp = 58,44 var

And we can use this equation ; Qcomp = Qc+ Q to get the Qc value,that should be Qc = -264,71 var

$$Qc = \frac{U^2}{Xc} $$ we can find Xc out of that to be equall Xc = -200 Ohm and now;

$$ Xc = \frac{1}{\omega C} $$ we can find C to be ## C = 15,3µF ##

b)Represent all relevant powers with and without compensation graphically (correct angles) in the complex plane and state the scale used for thisDidnt really have any problems with this one;

c)
The capacitor Cp calculated in point (a) is wrongly connected in series with the halo gentrafo. Calculate the active power P of this arrangement.
Hint: If you cannot solve point (a), use Cp = 10 µF.

Now here is where I am having problems;

I tried calculating the Impedanz as ## Z = \frac{U}{I} ## where the I is the 0,583A I calculated in A. I am assuming that the voltage remains the same because its a series connection. Z comes around to be 394,5 Ohm. Now I tried calculating R and maybe trying to find P that way but that didnt work.I calculated R like this;

R = |Z| cos phi = 355,05 Ohm

And than ## P = \frac{R}{I^2} ## but that gives me the wrong result;

P should be (when we use 15mF) equall to 470,3W.

Any help would be appriciated (part a) I think is correct since that is the solution in the book)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
halo gentrafo? What is var? ##P=\frac R {I^2}## ?

If I am not mistaken var should be the unit for the reactive power, (volt ampere reactive).

Likes hutchphd
As arhzz stated var is just the unit for the reactive power,thought that wasnt anytinh too out of the ordinary.halo gentrafo is the halogen transformator from a),I guess in the translation google ate some words and it came out like that.

And the quation was a latex error I wanted to type in ## P = I^2 * R ## but it just came to my realization that this only works for DC.

arhzz said:
If I am not mistaken var should be the unit for the reactive power, (volt ampere reactive).
Thanks. Never seen that unit (and I'm old). I believe I can live without it !

hutchphd said:
Never seen that unit (and I'm old). I believe I can live without it !
The real watt is the VA where Volts and Amps are in phase.
The VAR is the voltage multiplied by the Reactive current (in quadrature), which can have no real power, only circulating energy.
There is still W = I²·r heat generated in the resistance, r, of the circuit by the vector sum of the real and reactive currents.
VA and VAR should be capitalised.

Likes berkeman
I looked it up. It is apparently common practice, and the capitalization is optional!

from Wikipedia:

Volt-ampere reactive [edit]​

In electric power transmission and distribution, volt-ampere reactive (var) is a unit of measurement of reactive power. Reactive power exists in an AC circuit when the current and voltage are not in phase. The term var was proposed by the Romanian electrical engineer Constantin Budeanu and introduced in 1930 by the IEC in Stockholm, which has adopted it as the unit for reactive power.

Special instruments called varmeters are available to measure the reactive power in a circuit.[6]

The unit "var" is allowed by the International System of Units (SI) even though the unit var is representative of a form of power.[7] SI allows one to specify units to indicate common sense physical considerations. Per EU directive 80/181/EEC (the "metric directive"), the correct symbol is lower-case "var",[8] although the spellings "Var" and "VAr" are commonly seen, and "VAR" is widely used throughout the power industry.

Live and learn.

hutchphd said:
... and "VAR" is widely used throughout the power industry.
The power industry tends to use MVAR on transmission line networks.

Likes hutchphd
sylent33 said:
With a halogen transformer ...
That is an electrical transformer that generates a low voltage for use in halogen filled incandescent globes.
The expired patent covers the maintenance of the partial pressure of a halogen gas in an excimer laser.

1. How do I determine the active power in a circuit?

The active power in a circuit can be determined by multiplying the voltage and current in the circuit. This can be calculated using Ohm's law, where power (P) equals voltage (V) multiplied by current (I): P = V x I.

2. What is the difference between active power and reactive power?

Active power is the power that is actually consumed by a device or circuit, while reactive power is the power that is stored and released by inductors and capacitors in the circuit. Reactive power does not contribute to the actual work being done by the circuit, but it is necessary for the circuit to function properly.

3. How can I measure the active power in a three-phase system?

To measure the active power in a three-phase system, you will need to use a wattmeter. This device measures the voltage and current in each phase and calculates the total active power by adding the individual measurements together.

4. Can the active power in a circuit be negative?

Yes, the active power in a circuit can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the current and voltage are opposite, resulting in a negative value for power. Negative active power is often seen in circuits with inductive or capacitive loads.

5. How does the power factor affect the active power in a circuit?

The power factor is the ratio of the active power to the apparent power in a circuit. A lower power factor means that more reactive power is present in the circuit, reducing the overall active power. In order to maximize the active power in a circuit, it is important to have a high power factor, ideally close to 1.