AC Circuit Power/impedance question

The horizontal component is called the resistance and the vertical component is called the reactance. In this case, you have a resistor and some reactive component in series. You need to find the resistance and reactance of the reactive component in order to find the total impedance.Hope this helps clarify things a bit.
james123

Homework Statement

For the circuit given in FIGURE 1 the power factor is 0.72 lagging and the power dissipated is 375 W.

12-jpg.jpg

Determine the:

1. (i) apparent power
  2. (ii) reactive power
  1. (iii) the magnitude of the current flowing in the circuit
  2. (iv) the value of the impedance Z and state whether circuit is inductive or capacitive.

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)Power factor=true power/apparent power
So, Apparent power =true power/power factor
=375/0.72= 520.83 VA

(ii) Reactive power= √Apparent power^2-truepower^2
=√520.83^2-375^2
=361.44 VAR

(iii) P=VI
So, I=P/V
=520.83/120
=4.34 A

(iiii) Impedance= Vs/I
=120/4.34
=27.658 Ω

The circuit is inductive because it has a lagging power factor.Can anybody confirm if I am along the right lines with this/ where I've messed up?
Any help is appreciated!
Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
P is, by convention, the symbol for real power. The symbol for apparent power is S.

If it asks for impedance, you need to give not just magnitude but also angle.

Otherwise, it seems okay.

If the 375W is the total power dissipated in the circuit,
james123 said:
Power factor=true power/apparent power
So, Apparent power =true power/power factor
=375/0.72= 520.83 VA
..this is correct.
james123 said:
iii) P=VI
So, I=P/V
=520.83/120
=4.34 A
Correct.
james123 said:
Impedance= Vs/I
=120/4.34
=27.658 Ω
No. That would the "total" impedance seen by the source, considering the 10 ohm resistance. You need to find the value of Z only.

Likes NascentOxygen
Thanks for the replies!

So would Z=Impedance-Resistance
=27.658-10=17.658 Ω ??

And phase angle:

Cosθ=R/Z
=10/17.658
=0.5663

θ=Cos^-1*0.5663
=55.5

So Z=17.658∠55.5°

Does this look better?

james123 said:
=27.658-10=17.658 Ω
No.
First compute the resistance and reactance in Z using active and reactive power values. You know the current.

Is the reactance the total resistance *power factor ??

So, 27.658*0.72=19.92 ??

I really don't where I'm going from here, I've just followed the ways my learning materials have shown me

james123 said:
Is the reactance the total resistance **impedance** power factor ??
Yes, that would be an easier way to go. No need of active and reactive power.

So what is the resistance in Z?

10 Ω ?

james123 said:
Is the reactance the total resistance *power factor ??

So, 27.658*0.72=19.92 ??

I really don't where I'm going from here, I've just followed the ways my learning materials have shown me
cnh1995 said:
Yes, that would be an easier way to go. No need of active and reactive power.

So what is the resistance in Z?
Oh, I misread that. This actually gives you the total resistance. What is the resistance in Z then?
Similarly find the reactance in Z. You know Z and phi.

Sorry but I don't know what method you're getting at?

The formula I have for impedance is Z=Vs/I

And to get the phase angle I have Cosθ*R/Z

Are these wrong?

james123 said:
Sorry but I don't know what method you're getting at?

The formula I have for impedance is Z=Vs/I

Are these wrong?
That gives the "total impedance" including the 10 ohm resistance, which is not same as Z in your diagram. You need to find only Z.
james123 said:
It should be cosθ=Rtotal/Ztotal and Ztotal is not equal to Z.

You need to separate the resistive component of Z from the total resistance. What you calculated in #6 gives the "total resistance". So what is the resistive component of Z?

Do I need to work out the resistance across the resistor?

So, Vr=IR
Vr=4.34*10=43.4 V ??

Last edited by a moderator:
james123 said:
So, Vr=IR
Vr=4.34*10=43.4 Ω ??
That is meaningless.

First of all, understand how the components are connected.

You have an "impedance" Z in series with a 10 ohm "resistance". That Z contains a resistive component, say r, and an inductive component, say X.
So, you need to find r and X.

You have calculated the "total resistance" in the circuit in #6. How do you get r from that?

Im sorry I really don't understand what you're getting at, my materials always give impedance as a single value in ohms.

Only thing I can think of is subtracting the 10Ω resistor from the total impedance giving 27.658-10=17.658 Ω

james123 said:
my materials always give impedance as a single value in ohms.
And that value is the phasor sum of the resistive and reactive components of the impedance. You can't add (or subtract) impedance with resistance like that.

One last hint (I'm going to bed:sleep:):
Say you have two impedances Z1=R1+jX1 and Z2=R2+jX2,
then you can write
Z1+Z2=(R1+R2)+j(X1+X2).

If anything is still unclear, maybe you should look up some stuff on impedance.

Okay, well thanks for the help mate, it's always appreciated. Think you're right, I'll go away and do some more revision.

james123 said:
=27.658-10=17.658 Ω ??
Impedance is like a vector, so you have to first break it into its horizontal and vertical components before doing any calculations.

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current (AC) to transfer electrical energy. Unlike a DC circuit, which uses direct current, an AC circuit has a constantly changing direction of current flow, resulting in an oscillating voltage and current. AC circuits are commonly used in household and industrial applications for powering devices and transmitting electricity over long distances.

2. What is power in an AC circuit?

Power in an AC circuit is the rate at which electrical energy is transferred. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I). In an AC circuit, power constantly changes as the direction and magnitude of the current and voltage change.

3. What is impedance in an AC circuit?

Impedance is the total opposition to the flow of alternating current in an AC circuit. It is a combination of resistance, which is the opposition to current flow in a circuit, and reactance, which is the opposition to current flow caused by inductance and capacitance. Impedance is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol Z.

4. How is power calculated in an AC circuit with impedance?

To calculate power in an AC circuit with impedance, you can use the formula P = VIcos(θ), where V is the voltage, I is the current, and cos(θ) is the power factor. The power factor takes into account the phase difference between the voltage and current in an AC circuit. It is a value between 0 and 1, with a higher value indicating a more efficient use of power.

5. How does impedance affect power in an AC circuit?

Impedance affects power in an AC circuit by causing a voltage drop and a phase shift between the voltage and current. This results in a decrease in power, as some of the electrical energy is lost due to the opposition of the impedance. The higher the impedance, the greater the voltage drop and phase shift, leading to a lower power output in the circuit.