Register to reply

Problem balancing equation to be able to write net ionic equation. Please help!

by Democritus_
Tags: balancing, equation, ionic, write
Share this thread:
Democritus_
Mar5-12, 05:05 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write balanced molecular and net ionic equations for the reaction of aqueous sulfuric acid with sodium hydroxide.

2. Relevant equations

H2SO4 + NaOH -->

3. The attempt at a solution

H2SO4 + NaOH --> H2O + NaSO4

Please apologize any mistakes I make in trying to post this question, I don't frequent forums. Regarding my question, I'm fairly certain I understand the basis of the reaction being made, and I am confident in writing the net ionic equation and cancelling the spectator ions. The problem I am having though (which I don't usually have a problem with), is balancing this equation. I have everything balanced except when it comes to the oxygens, and I am one off on the product side. I've tried things such as using a "1/2" number, then multiplying by 2, but it just doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone help me please?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Borek
Mar5-12, 05:16 PM
Admin
P: 23,578
Oxygens are balanced, but sodium and hydrogen are not.

Before trying to balance check what is a correct formula of sodium sulfate, otherwise you will be wasting time.

Instead of formatting subscripts with font size, use subscript and superscript tags/buttons (quote my post to see details, or look for X2 and X2 buttons in the advanced editor).
Democritus_
Mar5-12, 05:18 PM
P: 2
Ah, thank you. I realize now my mistake I made with sodium sulfate. Thank you!

Register to reply