Net Ionic Equation of Four Solutions

The only relevant ones are the ones that make up the insoluble salt, which are the barium and chromate ions. The net ionic equation would be: $$Ba^{2+}+CrO_4^{2-}\rightarrow BaCrO_{4(s)}$$In summary, the problem involves mixing solutions of various compounds and finding the net ionic equation. The driving force of the reaction is the formation of an insoluble salt, and the net ionic equation only includes the relevant ions that make up the salt. The proper approach to solving this type of problem involves considering solubility rules and identifying the insoluble salt.
END
The problem statement

The solutions of ##NaC_2H_3O_3 + BaCl_2 +NH_4NO_3 + K_2CrO_4## are mixed together.

1. Write the Net Ionic Equation.

2. What is the driving force of the reaction?

The attempt

I'm not sure how to solve for the net ionic equation without a balanced equation. My professor showed us a way that involves only finding the ions and discarding the unneeded ones, but I haven't yet grasped the concept.

As of now, I have the following net ionic equation: $$Na{_{}}^{+}+C_2H_3O_3{_{}}^{-}+CrO_4{_{}}^{2-}\rightarrow Na_2CrO_{4(s)}+H_2O_{(l)}+CO_{2(g)}$$

Assuming this NIE is correct (I'm sure it isn't), then the driving forces would be all three products.

Any insight into the proper approach to this and similar problems would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: think about solubility rules (sodium chromate is well soluble, so it is not a product here).

Most of the ions are just spectators.

What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the relevant ions and molecules that are involved in a chemical reaction. It excludes spectator ions, which are present in the reaction but do not participate in the actual chemical change.

Why is writing a net ionic equation important?

Writing a net ionic equation helps to simplify and clarify the chemical reaction by showing only the essential components. It also allows for the identification of the specific ions and molecules that undergo a chemical change, making it easier to understand and analyze the reaction.

How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write out the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify and cancel out any spectator ions that appear on both sides of the equation. Lastly, write the remaining ions and molecules as the net ionic equation.

What are the key differences between a net ionic equation and a molecular equation?

The main difference between a net ionic equation and a molecular equation is that the net ionic equation only includes the participating ions and molecules, while the molecular equation includes all the reactants and products in their complete molecular forms. Additionally, the net ionic equation excludes spectator ions, while the molecular equation does not.

What are some common mistakes when writing net ionic equations?

Some common mistakes when writing net ionic equations include not balancing the equation correctly, not identifying and canceling out spectator ions, and not writing the net ionic equation in its simplest form. It is also important to accurately represent the charges of the ions and to include the correct states of matter for each substance.