Complete and Net Ionic Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the mixing of an aqueous solution of chromium(III) iodide with an aqueous solution of lead(II) nitrate. The resulting molecular equation is 2CrI3 (aq) + 3Pb(NO3)2 (aq) -----> 2Cr(NO3)3 (aq) + 3PbI2 (s). The complete ionic equation is 2(Cr)3+ (aq) + 6(I)- (aq) + 3(Pb)2+ (aq) + 6(NO3)- (aq) -----> 3PbI2 (s) + 2(Cr)3+ (aq) +
maceng7

Homework Statement

An aqueous solution of chromium(III) iodide is mixed with an aqueous solution of lead(II) nitrate

(a) Write the molecular equation for this reaction
(b) Write a complete ionic equation for this reaction
(c)If this reaction occurs, write the net ionic equation

I'm kinda lost on how to balance the complete and net ionic equations, this is what I've done so far:

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) 2CrI3 (aq) + 3Pb(NO3)2 (aq) -----> 2Cr(NO3)3 (aq) + 3PbI2 (s)

(b) 2(Cr)3+ (aq) + 6(I)- (aq) + 3(Pb)2+ (aq) + 6(NO3)- -----> 3PbI2 (s) + 2(Cr)3+ (aq) + 6(NO3)- (aq)

(c) 3(Pb)2+ (aq) + 6(I)- (aq) -----> 3PbI2 (s)
and if i divide all the coefficients by 3 then the cofficients are 1,2,1

I'm just sort of lost on writing the complete balance ionic equation. I would greatly appreciate someone looking over my work and tell me where I've gone wrong, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong. The reduced equation in c) is exactly the normal production of lead(II) iodide from ions, so it is a good thing to reduce to.

Please note: you can format your equations using subscripts and superscripts. You can use X2 and X2 icons in the advanced editor, or [noparse] and [/noparse] tags.

For example

[noparse]NO3-[/noparse]

is displayed as

NO3-.

Thanks a lot guys, Borek I'll keep that in mind in the future thank you and Dchair thanks for looking over my work

!
Your molecular equation looks correct, but your complete ionic equation is not balanced. Here is the correct complete ionic equation:

2Cr3+ (aq) + 6I- (aq) + 3Pb2+ (aq) + 6NO3- (aq) -----> 2Cr3+ (aq) + 6NO3- (aq) + 3PbI2 (s)

To balance the equation, you need to make sure that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides of the equation. In this case, you can see that there are 6 nitrate ions on both sides, so that part is already balanced. To balance the chromium ions, you need to add a coefficient of 2 in front of the chromium ions on the right side. This will give you 4 chromium ions on both sides. Similarly, to balance the iodide ions, you need to add a coefficient of 3 in front of the iodide ions on the left side. This will give you 6 iodide ions on both sides. The final balanced complete ionic equation is:

2Cr3+ (aq) + 6I- (aq) + 3Pb2+ (aq) + 6NO3- (aq) -----> 2Cr3+ (aq) + 6NO3- (aq) + 3PbI2 (s)

To write the net ionic equation, you need to eliminate any spectator ions, which are ions that are present on both sides of the equation and do not participate in the reaction. In this case, the nitrate ions are spectator ions, so they can be eliminated. The final balanced net ionic equation is:

2Cr3+ (aq) + 6I- (aq) + 3Pb2+ (aq) -----> 3PbI2 (s)

I hope this helps clarify the process of balancing complete and net ionic equations. Remember to always check that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides of the equation and to eliminate spectator ions when writing the net ionic equation.

1. What is a complete ionic equation?

A complete ionic equation is a chemical equation that includes all of the ions present in a solution as either reactants or products. It shows the dissociation of soluble ionic compounds into their constituent ions.

2. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a simplified version of a complete ionic equation that only includes the ions that participate in a chemical reaction. It eliminates spectator ions, which are present in the solution but do not actually participate in the reaction.

3. How do you write a complete ionic equation?

To write a complete ionic equation, first write the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, break apart any soluble ionic compounds into their individual ions. Finally, balance the charges on each side of the equation and include the physical states of the reactants and products.

4. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, start with the complete ionic equation and eliminate any spectator ions by canceling out ions that appear on both sides of the equation. The remaining ions are the ones that participate in the reaction and should be included in the net ionic equation.

5. Why are complete and net ionic equations useful?

Complete and net ionic equations allow us to better understand the chemical reactions taking place in solution. They show the specific ions involved in a reaction and how they combine to form new substances. They also help to identify the limiting reactant and predict the products of a reaction.