Finding balanced net ionic equation of reaction with three reactants

In summary, the conversation discussed writing a balanced net ionic equation for a chemical reaction involving Cr^{3+}, NH3 (aq), H2O (l), and NH4^{+} (aq). The balanced molecular equation was provided, but the type of reaction was not specified. However, the rules for writing net ionic equations were mentioned, which involves removing spectator ions. The final net ionic equation was determined to be Cr3+ + 3 NH3 (aq) + 3 H2O (l) → Cr(OH)3 (s) + 3 NH4^{+} (aq).
Aaron H.

Homework Statement

Write a balanced net ionic equation for the following chemical reaction

Homework Equations

Cr[itex]^{3+}[/itex] + ___NH3 (aq) + ____H2O (l) → Cr(OH)3 (s) + ___NH4[itex]^{+}[/itex] (aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

The balanced molecular equation is

Cr[itex]^{3+}[/itex] + 3 NH3 (aq) + 3 H2O (l) → Cr(OH)3 (s) + 3 NH4[itex]^{+}[/itex] (aq)

I'm not sure what type of reaction this is. Consequently, I don't know how to go about finding the net ionic equation. I can write net ionic equations for precipitation reactions with only two reactants, those aren't hard, but I'm a bit lost on the type presented above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aaron H. said:
I'm not sure what type of reaction this is. Consequently, I don't know how to go about finding the net ionic equation.

Type of the reaction doesn't matter, there are simple rules to follow when writing net ionic equation. Actually there is one rule - remove all spectators.

Cr[itex]^{3+}[/itex] + 3 NH3 (aq) + 3 H2O (l) → Cr(OH)3 (s) + 3 NH4[itex]^{+}[/itex] (aq)

And that's the correct answer.

Please note - it is better to not mix normal text and LaTeX for formatting. Instead of writing [noparse]Cr[itеx]^{3+}[/itеx][/noparse] (which yields Cr[itex]^{3+}[/itex]) write [noparse]Cr3+[/noparse] (which yields Cr3+).

1. How do I identify the spectator ions in a reaction with three reactants?

In order to identify the spectator ions, you must first write out the full ionic equation for the reaction. Then, compare the ions present on both the reactant and product sides. The ions that are present on both sides and do not undergo any changes are the spectator ions.

2. Can a balanced net ionic equation have more than one spectator ion?

Yes, a balanced net ionic equation can have more than one spectator ion. In fact, it is common for reactions with three or more reactants to have multiple spectator ions.

3. What is the purpose of finding the balanced net ionic equation in a reaction with three reactants?

The balanced net ionic equation allows you to focus on the essential components of the reaction and remove the spectator ions. This helps simplify the equation and makes it easier to understand the actual chemical reactions taking place.

4. Is it always necessary to find the balanced net ionic equation in a reaction with three reactants?

No, it is not always necessary to find the balanced net ionic equation. It is most commonly used when studying acid-base reactions or precipitation reactions, where spectator ions play a significant role.

5. Can the balanced net ionic equation change if the reaction conditions are altered?

Yes, the balanced net ionic equation can change if the reaction conditions are altered. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants can affect the reactants and products, thus changing the spectator ions in the reaction.