Register to reply

Regarding LM324OP-AMP output

by ultimateaim
Tags: lm324opamp, output
Share this thread:
ultimateaim
Apr12-12, 10:30 AM
P: 5
At output of LM324, 50 mV low frequency (Around 5 to 10 Hz) oscillations were observed when it was used as attenuator for pure DC application........what could be the reason?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
berkeman
Apr12-12, 12:11 PM
Mentor
P: 41,113
Quote Quote by ultimateaim View Post
At output of LM324, 50 mV low frequency (Around 5 to 10 Hz) oscillations were observed when it was used as attenuator for pure DC application........what could be the reason?
Welcome to the PF.

Could you please post your schematic showing all connections and power supplies, and describe how you made this measurement?
ultimateaim
Apr12-12, 12:25 PM
it is just difference amplifier with gain of 1/5
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (260.6 KB, 16 views)

yungman
Apr12-12, 12:38 PM
P: 3,898
Regarding LM324OP-AMP output

You have not post the value of the components. BUT LM324 is unity gain stable, your circuit cannot cause oscillation. It must be something else. For low frequency oscillation, most likely is power supply. Do you have by pass cap on the power supply?

Take a picture of your circuit. Layout is everything, circuit is always very simple. Your circuit has no problem on the schematic.
ultimateaim
Apr12-12, 12:47 PM
Value of components are R119 =R110=99k , R112=R117=499k....gain is 1/5 ...it is atteneuator...and input is 3.2 V DC
yungman
Apr12-12, 01:39 PM
Quote Quote by ultimateaim View Post
Value of components are R119 =R110=99k , R112=R117=499k....gain is 1/5 ...it is atteneuator...and input is 3.2 V DC
Your resistor value is a little high for my taste unless it is necessary.

this is just a simple differential amp. You have a cap C93 that make the circuit unbalance, take it off and see whether the noise goes away. If you need the cap, you have to put one across R110 to balance to get common mode cancellation. But this is only affecting high frequency end, I don't think this is a problem. But worth a try.

If that don't solve the problem, take a picture. With such high resistance, layout is very critical, long leads in the wrong spot can pick up all sort of noise.
ultimateaim
Apr12-12, 01:47 PM
Capacitor is Not connected(NC)...is that noise?
what it should be called? I have attached o/p waveform ....Each division is 50 mV....is that noise? what it should be called?
Attached Thumbnails
vlcsnap-2012-04-13-00h13m53s155.png  
ultimateaim
Apr12-12, 01:51 PM
Waveform is captured in CRO AC coupling mode...Even in multimeter oscillation was clearly visible as digits kept on changing...
AlephZero
Apr12-12, 02:06 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,177
Have you tried swapping the op-amp? Occasionally you get a defective one that "works" but has a high noise level.
yungman
Apr12-12, 03:21 PM
I need a picture of your physical circuit. I want to see your layout. The waveform don't look oscillation, it is some noise you pickup.

I also need a scope picture with longer time scale to see the repetition. Tell me the time scale as I can't see it. It looks like some periodic signal from the picture, but need wider time scale to tell.

Picture first, talk is cheap at this point, if you did it right, the circuit should work, no if and buts about it.

Register to reply