What Vcc value should I typically use on an LM324 in PSpice?

In summary: V- at most ~0.7 volts below negative supply.When analyzing this following circuit in PSpice, changing the power supply to the LM324's (even between 3 and 30) drastically changes the output voltages.In summary, when using a LM324 to analyze a circuit, it's important to make sure the power supply is high enough to supply the opamp's demands and to avoid exceeding the opamp's linear region.
kostoglotov
I've checked documentation and it says anywhere between 3 and 30V to supply the LM324. But I couldn't find further guidelines.

My text explained that op amps need external power supplies, but provided no guidelines as to what value to make that supply value.

When analyzing this following circuit in PSpice, changing the power supply to the LM324's (even between 3 and 30) drastically changes the output voltages.

EguR5nx.png

imgur link:

The top op amp has no feedback loop, so I figure its power supply should be higher than 5V to get to a saturation response.

This is my circuit in PSpice as drawn up in PSpice with some values shown next to Voltage sources.

1h76t3y.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/1h76t3y.png

According to the text, v0 should be -4.992V.

Now, if I take those op amp power supplies both to 30V, v0 becomes -5.005V...much closer to the text answer. Increasing op amp power supply beyond 30V causes no further changes, it seems to max out at -5.005V.

How are you supposed to know what power supply to use on an op amp? How does it depend on the circuit you're analyzing? What are some general guidelines?

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone can give :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
First off, both op amps have feedback. They share components in their feedback loops, that's all.

As to what power supply you should use with an op amp the first place to start is with the datasheet for the op amp. That will tell you what values of supply it will accommodate. Then you can choose the supplies based on the dynamic range you need in the circuit. You want to be sure that all the op amps stay within their linear regions (usually some fraction of the supply voltage) under all conditions.

The LM324 can handle 32V between its rails. Since the "text answer" is negative, the textbook is assuming split rails. Try VCC = 15V and VSS = -15V (instead of 0V) and see what happens.

Likes kostoglotov
analogdesign said:
First off, both op amps have feedback. They share components in their feedback loops, that's all.

As to what power supply you should use with an op amp the first place to start is with the datasheet for the op amp. That will tell you what values of supply it will accommodate. Then you can choose the supplies based on the dynamic range you need in the circuit. You want to be sure that all the op amps stay within their linear regions (usually some fraction of the supply voltage) under all conditions.

The LM324 can handle 32V between its rails. Since the "text answer" is negative, the textbook is assuming split rails. Try VCC = 15V and VSS = -15V (instead of 0V) and see what happens.

It didn't change the result by much :P

UIMvUap.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/UIMvUap.png

kostoglotov said:
It didn't change the result by much :P
what that does tell you about Op amps?

hint. this is why Op-amps are very very useful.

donpacino said:
what that does tell you about Op amps?

hint. this is why Op-amps are very very useful.

Well, actually, the output voltage changed an order of magnitude when I halved the voltage at the power supply. What didn't change the output much was switching the power terminals on the op amp from (+30 to 0) to (15 to -15).

kostoglotov said:
My text explained that op amps need external power supplies, but provided no guidelines as to what value to make that supply value.

When analyzing this following circuit in PSpice, changing the power supply to the LM324's (even between 3 and 30) drastically changes the output voltages.
Just using calculations and ignoring the power supply values at first, what do you get for the input and output voltages of the opamps in your first schematic?

Then you just need to ensure that your power supplies for the opamps are wide enough to stay away from those input and output voltages. As pointed out, you can refer to the LM324 datasheet to see what the input and output voltage ranges are with respect to the power supply voltages. :smile:

Likes kostoglotov
EDIT oops Berkeman got there first ! Right On ...

kostoglotov said:
How are you supposed to know what power supply to use on an op amp? How does it depend on the circuit you're analyzing? What are some general guidelines?

Find by analyzing your circuit the most positive and ,most negative input voltages your opamp will 'feel' at its inputs.
Also the most positive and most negative output voltages your circuit will need from the opamp .

LM324 can drive its output to within ~1.5 volts of positive supply, so V+ needs to be at least that much above most positive output you'll need.
LM324 can drive its output to negative supply but only at low current, so give it a volt or so "headroom" there, too . Make V- a volt or so more negative than most negative output. In a pinch you could get away with less negative side headroom provided the opamp only has to accept a few microamps into its output pin. See chart beow.

LM324 has similar headroom requirements on its inputs. That's why you have to consider both input and output.
From LM324 datasheet
upload_2016-2-18_16-32-50.png

upload_2016-2-18_16-38-54.png

Spend some time with datasheets they're a wealth of practical information

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is Vcc and why is it important to consider when using an LM324 in PSpice?

Vcc refers to the supply voltage for a circuit, and it is important to consider when using an LM324 in PSpice because it affects the performance and functionality of the LM324. The correct Vcc value is crucial for proper operation and to prevent damage to the LM324.

2. What is the recommended Vcc value for an LM324 in PSpice?

The recommended Vcc value for an LM324 in PSpice is typically between 3V to 36V, depending on the specific model and the desired performance of the circuit. It is important to consult the LM324 datasheet for the recommended Vcc range for the particular model being used.

3. Can I use a Vcc value lower than the recommended range for an LM324 in PSpice?

It is possible to use a Vcc value lower than the recommended range for an LM324 in PSpice, but it may result in reduced performance and functionality. It is important to carefully consider the requirements of the circuit and consult the LM324 datasheet before using a lower Vcc value.

4. What happens if I use a Vcc value higher than the recommended range for an LM324 in PSpice?

Using a Vcc value higher than the recommended range for an LM324 in PSpice can cause damage to the LM324 and other components in the circuit. It is important to never exceed the maximum supply voltage specified in the LM324 datasheet.

5. How do I simulate different Vcc values for an LM324 in PSpice?

In PSpice, you can specify the Vcc value for an LM324 by adding a voltage source and connecting it to the appropriate pin of the LM324. You can then change the value of the voltage source to simulate different Vcc values and observe the effects on the circuit's performance. It is important to remember to use the appropriate voltage source type and set the value within the recommended range for the LM324 model being used.