Register to reply

Why bending iron nails causes it to corrode faster?

by GuMing
Tags: bending, corrode, faster, iron, nails
Share this thread:
GuMing
May2-12, 08:37 AM
P: 15
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
When bending iron nails, the corrosion rate increases. Does anyone knows, why is that?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Pkruse
May2-12, 11:07 AM
P: 490
I've bent over many nails in a salt water environment, some of them I've been able to observe for as long as 40 years. I've never noticed an increased corrosion rate, except when I damaged the zinc coating.
jacksonpeeble
May2-12, 12:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 122
Oxidation occurs most easily at points of stress in a metal. This point becomes an anode for the reaction of Iron with Oxygen, yielding the half-reaction of Fe→Fe2++2e-. The reduction half-reaction, therefore, is O2+2H2O+4e-→4OH-.

There are some nice illustrations of this on pages 816-817 of Chemistry, 9th Edition by Whitten, Davis, Peck, & Stanley.

The reason for this increased oxidation at the points of stress is that the atomic structure allows the process to occur more readily. The section on Cold Worked Corrosion at http://www.efunda.com/materials/corr...sion_types.cfm has some minimal information on this, and you can always look it up in more depth if you're interested/this is the information that you need.

GuMing
May2-12, 07:47 PM
P: 15
Why bending iron nails causes it to corrode faster?

Thanks for your help, guys :D

Register to reply