Specific Heat Problem (did something wrong?)

In summary, the initial temperature of the iron in this system can be calculated by setting the heat of the iron equal to the negative heat of the water, and using the specific heat capacities of each substance. By solving for the initial temperature of the iron, it is found to be -9497.68 degrees Celsius. However, this value is incorrect as the negative sign was lost in the calculations. The correct initial temperature of the iron should be 37.8 degrees Celsius.
Lori

Homework Statement

Heated iron with mass of 55.0 g was added to 100 mL of water at 20 degree Celsius. Assuming no energy transfer to the surroundings and that the final temperature of the system is 42.7 degrees C, calculate initial temperature of the iron.

Mass of Iron = 55.0 g
mass of Water = 100g
initial Temp of Water = 20 degrees C
Final temp of Water/Fe = 42.7 degrees
Want: initial temp of Fe

Given Cs of Fe = 0.451 J/gC
Cs of Water = 4.184 J/gC

Homework Equations

heat of Iron = -heat of water (q=-q)

mCT = mCT

The Attempt at a Solution

mCT of Fe = -mCT of water
[/B]
plug in:
X= initial temp of Fe
55 * 0.451*(42.7-X) = 100*4.184*(42.7-20)

When i solve for X , i get a large negative number = -9497.68 which is clearly not the final temperature!

Was wondering where i went wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you lost the negative sign. It should be
$$55 \cdot 0.451\cdot(42.7-X) = -100\cdot 4.184\cdot (42.7-20)$$

NFuller said:
It looks like you lost the negative sign. It should be
$$55 \cdot 0.451\cdot(42.7-X) = -100\cdot 4.184\cdot (42.7-20)$$
Wow, didn't realize that. Thanks !

What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is important because it helps us understand how different materials respond to changes in temperature and how much energy is needed to heat or cool them.

What is the formula for calculating specific heat?

The formula for calculating specific heat is Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What are some common mistakes when solving specific heat problems?

Some common mistakes when solving specific heat problems include using the wrong units for mass or temperature, forgetting to convert units, and using the wrong specific heat value for the substance.

What is the difference between specific heat capacity and specific heat?

Specific heat capacity and specific heat are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a specific amount of a substance, while specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance.

How can I check if I did my specific heat calculations correctly?

You can check your specific heat calculations by comparing your answer to the expected value for the substance. You can also double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.