Need some tips about solving confusing Stoic Problem

In summary, the problem requires finding the mass of iron(3) chloride that should be added to 450 ml of 0.132 M CaCl2 to achieve a final chloride concentration of 0.555 M. To solve this, we can create a before-after matrix and use the formulas for moles and mass. We have all the given information except for the initial chloride concentration, which can be calculated by multiplying the molarity of CaCl2 by 2 (since it contains two chloride ions per molecule). Using this information, we can find the number of moles of chloride needed to reach 0.555 M and then use the mole-to-mole ratio to calculate the number of moles of FeCl3 needed. Finally
Lori

Homework Statement

What mass of iron(3) chloride should be added to 450 ml of 0.132 M CaCl2 to give a solution with final chloride concentration of 0.555M

There are a lot of numbers, and I get confused on how to convert it to get mass of iron(3) chloride!

Homework Equations

M = n/L

The Attempt at a Solution

? g iron(3) chloride (162.2 g/mol)
.450 L of 0.132 M CaCl2 gives 0.0594 mols
0.555 M Cl- = 0.555 mols/L

I know the mole to mole ratio we would use is 2:3 but like, i get stuck at trying to start with the right numbers in my dimensional analyst...

my attempt:

0.555 mols/ L Cl- * (0.45 L CaCl2) * (3 mols Cl/2molsCl) *(1mol FeCl3/3molsCl ) = 0.12 (which is wrong).

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you must find how many mols of Cl- you must add to the existing solution to achieve chloride concentration of 0,555 M.

Then, you must think how many moles of FeCl3 are needed to provide these mols.

Finally, using the molar mass you can calculate the respective mass of FeCl3.

Likes Lori and Chestermiller
Even before that you'd have to know what is the molarity of chloride in the existing CaCl2 solution?

Of course,

CaCl2 disassociates by the reaction:

CaCl2 ## \to ## Ca2+ + 2Cl-.

So, the molarity of chloride is two times the molarity of CaCl2. Right?

Right enough - so give it a number.

Likes DoItForYourself
DoItForYourself said:
Firstly, you must find how many mols of Cl- you must add to the existing solution to achieve chloride concentration of 0,555 M.

Then, you must think how many moles of FeCl3 are needed to provide these mols.

Finally, using the molar mass you can calculate the respective mass of FeCl3.
I figured out that there are 0.1188 mols of Cl- in the solution but how do I know how many moles Cl to achieve .555 M cl?

epenguin said:
Even before that you'd have to know what is the molarity of chloride in the existing CaCl2 solution?
Hi. I just started the problem again and I'm still confused. I got the moles of Cl that's in the current solution but I'm not sure how to find how many more moles we need to get the .555 M Cl concentration

Typically all you need in such situations is subtraction.

Borek said:
Typically all you need in such situations is subtraction.
I know that but isn't. .555 M like .555 mols per liter? How can I get mols so that I can subtract it by .1188

You can think in moles or you can think in molarity which is as you say moles per litre, and usually you will have to go a bit back and forth between them.

There is not just one right way. However I would find just a bit easier since you are given a molarity to start with, and you aim to finish with another molarity, to answer my question with molarity of chloride 0.132 × 2 = 0.264 M. You are asked to achieve final molarity of 0.555 M - so what's the molarity in chloride you need to add - see Borek, and it does that make sense?

Likes Lori
epenguin said:
You can think in moles or you can think in molarity which is as you say moles per litre, and usually you will have to go a bit back and forth between them.

There is not just one right way. However I would find just a bit easier since you are given a molarity to start with, and you aim to finish with another molarity, to answer my question with molarity of chloride 0.132 × 2 = 0.264 M. You are asked to achieve final molarity of 0.555 M - so what's the molarity in chloride you need to add - see Borek, and it does that make sense?
So. I should start with .555 M of chlorine ?

I'm am still lost ;(. Here's what I got

Untitled-1.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 480
Sorry I just can't read that. In future if you must post Photos of homework pages, which is discouraged and certainly not necessary for such a simple problem as this, please use an app like the free DocScanHD to render them readable and post them the right way up.

OK, so for a litre you want there to be 0.555 moles of chloride, you have got 0.264 moles of chloride (see #10) - how many more moles of chloride do you need there to be in that litre? How difficult is that?

Hey Lori! :)

I have trouble reading what you've got as well, and moreover, I have trouble making sense what everything is, and how they are connected.

To solve a problem like this, it usually helps to write down all given information first, and make a before-after matrix.

Something like:
$$\begin{array}{ll} V=450\text{ mL}\\
c(CaCl_2)=0.132\text{ mol/L}\\
c_{after}(Cl^-)=0.555\text{ mol/L}\\
M(FeCl_3)=162.2\text{ g/mol}\\
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|}
\hline
&Before & After & Delta \\
\hline
c(Cl^-) & ? & 0.555\text{ mol/L} & - \\
n(Cl^-) & ? & ? & ?\\
n(FeCl_3) & ? & - & -\\
\hline
\end{array} \\
m(FeCl_3) =?\end{array}$$
Relevant formulas:
- moles are concentration times volume (##n=c\cdot V##),
- mass is moles times molar mass (##m=n\cdot M##).

Can we find all the question marks?

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Hey Lori! :)

I have trouble reading what you've got as well, and moreover, I have trouble making sense what everything is, and how they are connected.

To solve a problem like this, it usually helps to write down all given information first, and make a before-after matrix.

Something like:
$$V=450\text{ mL}\\
c(CaCl_2)=0.132\text{ mol/L}\\
c_{after}(Cl^-)=0.555\text{ mol/L}\\
M(FeCl_3)=162.2\text{ g/mol}\\
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|}
\hline
&Before & After & Delta \\
\hline
c(Cl^-) & ? & 0.555\text{ mol/L} & - \\
n(Cl^-) & ? & ? & ?\\
n(FeCl_3) & ? & - & -\\
\hline
\end{array} \\
m(FeCl_3) =?$$
Relevant formulas:
- moles are concentration times volume (##n=c\cdot V##),
- mass is moles times molar mass (##m=n\cdot M##).

Can we find all the question marks?
I'm Sorry, but I expected that there would be confusion cause my calculation is all over the place! I will follow your strategy. I'll let you know what I get!

epenguin said:

Ok, i got that we need 0.291 mols Cl- /literOh i see! We need .291 mols Cl- /liter, but we have 0.450 L of CaCl2, so if we multiply these numbers together , we get the mols we need of Cl-. With 0.13095 mols Cl-, calculate moles of FeCl3 we need by using ration 1 fecl3 to 3 moles cl-. Converting to grams in FeCl3 with molar mass, we get 7.08 grams?

Is it is 7.08 grams of FeCl3? :OI'm pretty sure i spent like 3 hours on this problem, but i realize that i just need to think about and ask the same questions that you guys asked. Sigh!

Thanks for your guys patients >.<

Last edited by a moderator:
7.08 g of FeCl3 it is.

Lori said:
i just need to think about and ask the same questions that you guys asked

We don't ask them without reason.

Note: in the real lab you would have serious problems finding anhydrous FeCl3, as this compound is typically sold as hexahydrate (FeCl3⋅6H2O). That means you would need almost 12 g of the solid.

1. How can I approach solving a confusing Stoic problem?

The first step is to clearly define the problem and understand its context. Then, use logical reasoning to break down the problem into smaller parts and consider all possible perspectives. Finally, use Stoic principles such as virtue, reason, and nature to guide your thinking and decision making process.

2. What are some practical tips for solving a Stoic problem?

Some practical tips include taking a step back and viewing the problem from a different angle, seeking advice from other Stoic practitioners, practicing detachment from emotions, and using mindfulness techniques to stay focused and calm.

3. How can I apply Stoic teachings to solve modern-day problems?

The core principles of Stoicism, such as self-control, wisdom, and courage, are still relevant and applicable to modern-day problems. By understanding and practicing these principles, you can approach any problem with a rational and virtuous mindset.

4. What should I do if I am struggling to find a solution to a Stoic problem?

If you are having trouble finding a solution, take a break and revisit the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with other Stoic practitioners or consulting Stoic literature for inspiration and guidance.

5. Is there a right or wrong way to solve a Stoic problem?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to solving a Stoic problem. However, it is important to approach the problem with a rational and virtuous mindset, and to stay true to Stoic principles such as logic, reason, and moral virtue in the decision making process.