Which species of Fe are considered dissolved Fe?

In summary, the question asks if Fe(OH)42- is considered a dissolved species of Fe with an activity of 0.1M. It is assumed that all dissolved iron species will have an activity of 0.1M for the purpose of drawing a simplified Eh-Ph diagram, but this assumption is not generally correct. The context and intention behind this statement is unclear without further information.
1question

Homework Statement

The question tells me that all dissolved iron species will have an activity of 0.1M. So is Fe(OH)42- considered a dissolved species of Fe, and if so, it will have an activity of 0.1M?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to say that it is not considered as such, but the fact that it is an ion troubles me.

Physics news on Phys.org
1question said:
The question tells me that all dissolved iron species will have an activity of 0.1M.

Doesn't sound correct to me, can you post entire question?

It's an assumption so that I can draw a simplified Eh-Ph diagram. It is not meant to be generally correct I believe.

Every water solution containing iron ions will also have many equilibria present, with numerous products of Fe(II) and Fe(III) reactions with water. You can assume activity of the main (dominating) form present in the solution to be 0.1 M, or you can assume sum of all forms present to be 0.1 M (it will be just a mass balance then), but in neither case activities of other forms will be 0.1 M.

Chances are this is just a lousy wording and there is a viable idea behind the statement, but without the context I can't see it.

I asked my Prof. It does not have an activity of 0.1M. Thanks for your help Borek.

What is the definition of dissolved iron (Fe) in relation to species?

Dissolved iron refers to the form of iron that is present in a solution, rather than being in solid form. This can include various species of Fe, such as Fe(II) and Fe(III).

Which species of Fe are commonly found in dissolved form?

The most common species of dissolved Fe are Fe(II) and Fe(III). These are the most thermodynamically stable forms of iron in aqueous environments.

How do you measure the concentration of dissolved Fe species?

The concentration of dissolved Fe species can be measured using techniques such as spectrophotometry, colorimetry, or atomic absorption spectroscopy. These methods rely on the characteristic absorption or emission of light by the iron species.

Why is it important to determine the species of Fe that are considered dissolved?

Knowing the species of Fe that are dissolved is important because different species have different chemical and biological reactivity. This can affect processes such as nutrient availability, redox reactions, and the bioavailability of Fe to organisms.

What factors can influence the speciation of dissolved Fe in a solution?

The speciation of dissolved Fe can be influenced by factors such as pH, temperature, oxygen levels, and the presence of other ions. These factors can impact the stability and reactivity of different Fe species in a solution.