Register to reply

Finding resistor's voltage with current and voltage sources present

Share this thread:
JJBladester
Jul16-12, 09:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 287
What is the voltage across R2? You should convert the 4 V source and resistor into a current source as your first step.

The first thing I did is create a second current source out of the 4 V voltage source and the series resistor R2. I called it I_2.

I_2 = E/R_2 = 4V/100Ω = 40 mA

This gives us:

We can combine the parallel current sources I_1 and I_2:

I = I_1 + I_2 = 10 mA + 40 mA = 50 mA

By the current divider rule,

I_R2 = (R_T*I)/R2 = (20Ω*50mA)/100Ω = 10 mA

V_R2 = I_R2*R2 = 10mA * 100Ω = 1 V

However, when I run a simulation of the original circuit using MultiSim, I get 3 V through R2. Where am I going wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
SammyS
Jul16-12, 09:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,819
Quote Quote by JJBladester View Post
What is the voltage across R2? You should convert the 4 V source and resistor into a current source as your first step.

The first thing I did is create a second current source out of the 4 V voltage source and the series resistor R2. I called it I_2.

I_2 = E/R_2 = 4V/100Ω = 40 mA

This gives us:

V_R2 = I_R2*R2 = 10mA * 100Ω = 1 V

However, when I run a simulation of the original circuit using MultiSim, I get 3 V through R2. Where am I going wrong?
If you get 3 V across R2 in the original circuit, that means that there voltage dropped across R1 in the original circuit is 1 V, which makes sense.

The difficulty appears to be that you are assuming the resistor, R2 in the original circuit has the same voltage across it as the resistor, R2, in the last two circuits.
JJBladester
Jul17-12, 07:54 AM
PF Gold
I'm stuck. I think I understand what you mean that R2 in the new (simplified) circuit cannot be treated the same as R2 in the original circuit. Am I correct up to the point where I found a combined 50 mA current source acting on two parallel resistors R1 and R2?

If so, how do I get back to finding the voltage for R2 in the original circuit.

SammyS
Jul17-12, 08:07 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,819
Finding resistor's voltage with current and voltage sources present

I'm stuck. I think I understand what you mean that R2 in the new (simplified) circuit cannot be treated the same as R2 in the original circuit. Am I correct up to the point where I found a combined 50 mA current source acting on two parallel resistors R1 and R2?

If so, how do I get back to finding the voltage for R2 in the original circuit.
Find the voltage across R1 in the simplified circuit. It hasn't been changed. Then use that to find the voltage across R2 in the original circuit.
NascentOxygen
Jul17-12, 08:56 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,465

There are two mistakes in this line, yet you end up with 10 mA and that's the right answer
Oops, my mistake. What you are using is not what I think of as current divider rule, but it's okay.
JJBladester
Jul17-12, 09:06 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by SammyS View Post
Find the voltage across R1 in the simplified circuit. It hasn't been changed. Then use that to find the voltage across R2 in the original circuit.
So I can't use the "new" R2 even though it is the same R2 as before?

Anyway, using your advice to find the voltage across R1 in the simplified circuit, I've found the voltage across R2 using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law on the original circuit:

Using the current divider rule:

[tex]I_{R1}=\frac{(20\Omega )(.05 A)}{(25 \Omega )}=.04A[/tex]

[tex]V_{R1}=\left (I_{R1} \right )\left (R_1 \right )=\left ( .04A \right )\left (25\Omega \right )=1V[/tex]

E - VR2 - VR1 = 0
VR2 = E - VR1 = 4V - 1V = 3V

Register to reply