Why is my calculated resistance higher than the resistor used

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine why the calculated total resistance of their series circuit is higher than the theoretical total resistance. They used a 100Ω resistor and measured the current at 1.0v intervals from 1.0-5.0v, with the current measured at 8.70mA at 1.0v and 17.60mA at 2.0v. The resistor measured 97Ω using a DMM and a DC circuit was used. The theoretical total resistance of the series circuit is equal to the sum of resistor(s) (97Ω). However, when calculating total resistance at different voltage outputs, the values exceeded 98Ω. Upon further questioning, it was
Daniel2244

Homework Statement

Why is my calculated total resistance of the circuit higher than the resistor used in series and the theoretical total resistance? In a series circuit I used a 100Ω resistor and measured the current at 1.0v intervals from 1.0-5.0v.
At 1.0v the current was 8.70mA using a 100Ω resistor
2.0v - 17.60mA
The 100Ω resistor measured 97Ω using a DMM
DC circuit was used.

Homework Equations

R=V/I, Rt=R1+R2+R3+Rn...

The Attempt at a Solution

The theoretical total resistance of the series circuit is equal to the sum of resistor(s) (97Ω).
Calculating total resistance at different voltage outputs: 8.70mA x 0.001=0.0087A
at 1.0V total resistance = 1/0.0087=114.9Ω
17.60x0.001= 0.0176 at 2.0V total resistance = 2v/0.0176A=113.63Ω

I have no explanation on how the total resistance can exceed the 98Ω resistor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you measure the actual resistance of the resistor (with an ohmmeter), or did you assume that its value was exactly its labeled value? What tolerance was it labeled to have?

Likes FactChecker
gneill said:
Did you measure the actual resistance of the resistor (with an ohmmeter), or did you assume that its value was exactly its labeled value? What tolerance was it labeled to have?
It was a 100Ω resistor and I used a digital mulimeter on ohmnmeter setting to measure the resistance of 98Ω.

Okay. How were the voltage levels established? Did you measure them each time? If so, with what instrument?

gneill said:
Okay. How were the voltage levels established? Did you measure them each time? If so, with what instrument?
voltage were measured in 1.0v steps - 1.0v, 2.0v, 3.0v, 4.0v, 5.0v

Daniel2244 said:
voltage were measured in 1.0v steps - 1.0v, 2.0v, 3.0v, 4.0v, 5.0v
With your DMM? How about the current?

gneill said:
With your DMM? How about the current?
yes with the DMM and the current for 1.0v - 8.70mA and 2.0v -17.60mA

You had a single DMM to measure all the values? So you couldn't measure the voltage and current at the same time?

gneill said:
You had a single DMM to measure all the values? So you couldn't measure the voltage and current at the same time?
I used two DMM one for current and one for voltage

Daniel2244 said:
I used two DMM one for current and one for voltage
Did you measure the voltage across the supply or across the resistor? In other words, was the current-measuring DMM included as part of the "load resistance"?
upload_2018-2-25_9-56-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-25_9-56-28.png
    upload_2018-2-25_9-56-28.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,542
Have you got a make and model for the dmm?

gneill said:
Did you measure the voltage across the supply or across the resistor? In other words, was the current-measuring DMM included as part of the "load resistance"?
View attachment 221043
I measured the voltage across both power pack and resistor

CWatters said:
Have you got a make and model for the dmm?
no. I am not sure why both of you are talking about the DMM.

Daniel2244 said:
There are four "variables" in your circuit: The power supply, the resistor, and two meters. One meter is inserted in series to measure the current. If it happened to be a really poor meter, it might present more resistance than you expect.

Daniel2244 said:
I measured the voltage across both power pack and resistor
You took both readings in each case? Were the two readings the same in each case?

What did you find for the other voltage values (3,4, and 5 volts)?

gneill said:
There are four "variables" in your circuit: The power supply, the resistor, and two meters. One meter is inserted in series to measure the current. If it happened to be a really poor meter, it might present more resistance than you expect.You took both readings in each case? Were the two readings the same in each case?
No, the voltage across the resistors decrease (isn't this potential difference?) at 1v- 0.89across component (ac for short) 2v- 1.20v, 3v-2.80v, 4v-3.72v, 5v-4.65v
What did you find for the other voltage values (3,4, and 5 volts)?
3v- 28.2mA, 4v- 38mA, 5v-48.3mA

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel2244 said:
No, the voltage across the resistors decrease (isn't this potential difference?) at 1v- 0.89across component (ac for short) 2v- 1.20v, 3v-2.80v, 4v-3.72v, 5v-4.65v
Okay. So there's an additional potential drop occurring somewhere else in your circuit. The candidates include unexpected connector resistance, and the current meter. Did you ever measure the potential across the current meter for any of the setups?

Are you certain that both of your DMMs were set on DC ranges and not AC by accident?

gneill said:
Okay. So there's an additional potential drop occurring somewhere else in your circuit. The candidates include unexpected connector resistance, and the current meter. Did you ever measure the potential across the current meter for any of the setups?
No, I didn't measure p.d across DMM (used to measure current)
Are you certain that both of your DMMs were set on DC ranges and not AC by accident?
No, I positive that they were set of DC

Daniel2244 said:
No, I didn't measure p.d across DMM (used to measure current)
Too bad. It would be interesting to track down where the unexpected potential drop occurred.

gneill said:
Too bad. It would be interesting to track down where the unexpected potential drop occurred.
This is how I set up my circuit: https://gyazo.com/72f50f46557719cabcdd93b9a31cc3dd.
So, Have I calculated the total resistance right? using the voltage output from power pack and dividing it by the current Rt=V1/A1? And the reason the calculated total resistance is higher than the theoretical total resistance and the resistor used is because there is added resistance from the DMM and power pack?

Daniel2244 said:
This is how I set up my circuit: https://gyazo.com/72f50f46557719cabcdd93b9a31cc3dd.
So, Have I calculated the total resistance right? using the voltage output from power pack and dividing it by the current Rt=V1/A1? And the reason the calculated total resistance is higher than the theoretical total resistance and the resistor used is because there is added resistance from the DMM and power pack?

Yes, the total load resistance is ##R_t = V_1/A_1##. This would include any resistance in the connectors, wires, and current meter DMM. It would not, however, include the internal resistance of the battery (power pack) as presumably ##V_1## is being measured at its external terminals. Any voltage drop due to its internal resistance takes place where you can't see it. All you can "see" is the voltage at its terminals, which presumably you are manually adjusting to read 1 V, 2 V, 3 V, ...

gneill said:
Yes, the total load resistance is ##R_t = V_1/A_1

This can't be correct as for the 2nd resistor I used 220Ω with the measured value of 218Ω on the ohmmeter (in series). If a voltage output 1.0v the current was 03.1mA. Using the equation R=V/I changing mA to A 03.1 becomes 0.0031. Putting the numbers into equation R=1/0.0031= 322.58Ω which cannot be correct that's 104Ω higher than the actual value

Daniel2244 said:
This can't be correct as for the 2nd resistor I used 220Ω with the measured value of 218Ω on the ohmmeter (in series). If a voltage output 1.0v the current was 03.1mA. Using the equation R=V/I changing mA to A 03.1 becomes 0.0031. Putting the numbers into equation R=1/0.0031= 322.58Ω which cannot be correct that's 104Ω higher than the actual value

If you are measuring the voltage across the power supply and the current in the circuit, then the load is everything connected to the power supply:
upload_2018-2-25_16-5-26.png

So something must be fishy with that DMM you're using for the current readings. Is it autoranging or do you have to select particular ranges manually for the current?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-25_16-5-26.png
    upload_2018-2-25_16-5-26.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 704
gneill said:
So something must be fishy with that DMM you're using for the current readings. Is it autoranging or do you have to select particular ranges manually for the current?
Manually, I selected milliamps because the current was very small.

I don't suppose you snapped any pictures of the lab setup? It's a good idea to do so. Sometimes one forgets to note a detail during the lab and can refer to the pictures. I think it would be helpful to know more about the make and model of the DMM.

Daniel2244 said:
An "ideal" voltmeter would have an infinite resistance so that it didn't act like another load resistor.

An "ideal" current meter would have zero resistance so that there was no voltage drop across it as that would also affect the circuit you were measuring.

Most modern DMM are close to "ideal" but aren't perfect. That's why we were asking about your DMM. However the size of the error makes this unlikely to be the cause of the discrepancy

Was the battery in the DMM ok?
Does it look like a normal commercial product or has someone put it in a wooden box?

CWatters said:
Was the battery in the DMM ok?
Does it look like a normal commercial product or has someone put it in a wooden box?
Yeah, everything looked fine. The used was a standard commercial one.
Would the resistor becoming un-clipped cause such a high resistance?

Daniel2244 said:
Would the resistor becoming un-clipped cause such a high resistance?
Yes, or if the contact was poor. Corroded contacts can have this effect.

What sort of connections were made between components?

gneill said:
I don't suppose you snapped any pictures of the lab setup?
No I didn't, however I will in future

gneill said:
Yes, or if the contact was poor. Corroded contacts can have this effect.

What sort of connections were made between components?
Crocodile clips

On my meter poor contact at the probes gives an error of a few ohms. I suppose that sort of thing might account for your 13ohm error in 100 =13%. It's harder to explain a 100 ohm error in 200= 50% error??

CWatters said:
On my meter poor contact at the probes gives an error of a few ohms. I suppose that sort of thing might account for your 13ohm error in 100 =13%. It's harder to explain a 100 ohm error in 200= 50% error??
+ If my component did un-clip the circuit would become broken and no current would flow

Does your DMM require you to move one of the probe connections on the meter to a different jack for measuring current ? Some DMMs require this.

gneill said:
Does your DMM require you to move one of the probe connections on the meter to a different jack for measuring current ? Some DMMs require this.
I don't use probes I use wires connecting into the circuit

Daniel2244 said:
I don't use probes I use wires connecting into the circuit
Even so, you must make the connections to the correct inputs on the meters.

gneill said:
Even so, you must make the connections to the correct inputs on the meters.
Yes, sorry, I misread. They is 3 sockets connection socket, V,mV,micro-V, mA,micro-A and the last socket for 10 amps