Mesh Analysis Method for Finding Current in a Circuit with Dependent Source

In summary: I have no clue how I would get that. Circuits in parallel would have different currents, and that's what I'm trying to find using the mesh method.I understand what you're trying to do, and that's why I asked about the Vs. If you could give me a picture of the circuit with the source connected, that would be really helpful.
Zack K

Homework Statement

Find the current in each resistor. (refer to uploaded diagram)

Homework Equations

##Kirchhoff's Law: I_s=I_1 + I_2##
Mesh analysis method

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm calling ##I_s## the total current before and after the current splitting up, and ##I_1## and ##I_2## are the mesh currents. Though I'm not sure if that's how it works.
Anyways, my setup:
I'll call the upper loop mesh 1 and the lower loop mesh 2
We have on dependent source, which is at ##R_3##, so I'll label the current there ##I_x##
$$mesh 1: -V_s+I_1R_1+I_1R_2+R_3(I_1-I_2)=0$$
$$mesh 2: -V_s+I_2R_4+R_3(I_2-I_1)+I_2R_5=0$$
$$Dependent Source: I_x=I_1-I_2$$
$$Kirchhoff's Law: I_s=I_1+I_2$$

I'm not entirely sure from here on. I could substitute each of these equations, but I don't see how it would let me solve for one variable, it would seem just as messy.

Attachments

• Inked94ac9940-d104-4e73-8330-6ef522e5b9f8_LI.jpg
    Inked94ac9940-d104-4e73-8330-6ef522e5b9f8_LI.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, can you label the resistors (in the diagram) R1 R2 etc. to assist following your equations?
Then can you put in an actual symbol for this dependent source. Is that Vs ? If so, how are Vs and Ix related? I don't follow how you get that I1 and I2 add to get Ix. Are I1 and I2 the loop currents?

scottdave said:
For starters, can you label the resistors (in the diagram) R1 R2 etc. to assist following your equations?
Sorry about that, I made a lot of clumsy mistakes. I uploaded a proper picture now.

scottdave said:
Then can you put in an actual symbol for this dependent source. Is that Vs ? If so, how are Vs and Ix related?
I defined Vs now as the potential from A to B.
scottdave said:
I don't follow how you get that I1 and I2 add to get Ix. Are I1 and I2 the loop currents?
Again, my bad. I modified it so ##I_x=I_1-I_2##, so it would be the sum of the currents.

If I made any other errors, then it would be form my misunderstanding of the problem/method. I just learned this form a wikipedia page since my professor gave us a very shaky lecture on it.

So the way you have defined it, the Vs ia not in either of the loops that you drew. Also look at the junction where Is and I1 meet. What is the current in R2 ?

scottdave said:
So the way you have defined it, the Vs ia not in either of the loops that you drew. Also look at the junction where Is and I1 meet. What is the current in R2 ?
I have no clue how I would get that. Circuits in parallel would have different currents, and that's what I'm trying to find using the mesh method.

Maybe it will help you if you draw a voltage source and hook it up to A and B to visualize what is going on in the circuit, and how you need to set up the equations. I still don't see where the dependent source is.

1. What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used to analyze electric circuits by dividing the circuit into smaller loops called "meshes". This technique uses Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to determine the currents flowing through each mesh and solve for the unknown voltages and currents in the circuit.

2. How is mesh analysis different from nodal analysis?

The main difference between mesh analysis and nodal analysis is the approach to solving the circuit. While mesh analysis uses KVL to analyze the circuit, nodal analysis uses Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to determine the currents at each node in the circuit. Additionally, mesh analysis is more suitable for circuits with a high number of voltage sources, while nodal analysis is better for circuits with a high number of current sources.

3. What are the advantages of using mesh analysis?

One advantage of using mesh analysis is that it simplifies complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, easier to analyze loops. This method is also useful for circuits with multiple voltage sources, as it allows for easier calculation of the voltage drops in each mesh. Additionally, mesh analysis can be used to solve circuits with dependent sources, which can be more challenging to solve using other methods.

4. What are the limitations of mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is not suitable for circuits with a high number of current sources or a mixture of voltage and current sources. In these cases, nodal analysis may be a better method to use. Additionally, mesh analysis cannot be used to analyze circuits with capacitors or inductors, as these elements require more complex equations to be solved.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mesh analysis?

One common mistake when using mesh analysis is incorrectly applying KVL. It is essential to carefully label the voltage drops and ensure that the polarities of the voltage sources are taken into account. Additionally, forgetting to include all mesh currents in the analysis or using incorrect signs for the currents can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to use a consistent direction for the mesh currents throughout the analysis.