Register to reply

If you had $1000 to build a generator...

by salzrah
Tags: build, energy, generator, renewable
Share this thread:
salzrah
Sep21-12, 01:47 AM
P: 79
...build a generator that uses renewable energy, what type of energy would you invest in?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
zoobyshoe
Sep21-12, 02:28 AM
P: 5,641
What do you have the most of where you live, sun, wind, or spare vegetation?
salzrah
Sep21-12, 03:16 AM
Equal amounts of all of them, relatively speaking.
There is not one that is more apparent than the other.
Or put in a better way - you could take the generator anywhere you want that inhabits people, except for "extreme" locations.

zoobyshoe
Sep21-12, 03:51 AM
P: 5,641
If you had $1000 to build a generator...

In that case, I suppose the best bet is a methane digester because it would be the least intermittent.
Borek
Sep21-12, 04:36 AM
Admin
P: 23,732
Biogas? Walking with that tube must be quite uncomfortable.
Ryan_m_b
Sep21-12, 04:54 AM
Mentor
P: 5,492
$1000 isn't that much. A quick google tells me I'd be lucky to get a 1kw solar panel in the UK with that.
salzrah
Sep21-12, 01:08 PM
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
$1000 isn't that much. A quick google tells me I'd be lucky to get a 1kw solar panel in the UK with that.
Yes it's not a lot, but solar panels are very expensive.

Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
In that case, I suppose the best bet is a methane digester because it would be the least intermittent.
Wouldn't hydroelectric energy also be much easier to develop and not intermittent if near a body of water.
Windadct
Sep28-12, 10:36 AM
P: 575
Pretty open ended question a REAL answer would be influenced by many factors, As stated - I would go solar with battery storage, low maintenance simple device - etc. Then just use the DC and/or small inverter to power AC items directly.

Developing a complete digester system or hydro for $1000 - would be a challenge.
Pkruse
Sep28-12, 01:23 PM
P: 490
I could do it for that cost. I'd wait until hurricane season is over, and buy a generator cheap on eBay. New never used, unless we actually get hit by a hurricane. Look for a dual fuel model, using gasoline or propane. Then change out the propane orifice out to burn methane. Put an alcohol kit into it. Now you can run on either alcohol or methane. But be careful of the swamp gas. It has lots of stuff in it that are not good for the engine.

Register to reply