Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build

In summary, a Mechanical Engineering graduate student is looking for advice on what kind of PC build would be best for conducting fluid mechanics research. He suggests getting access to a remote high performance cluster when doing serious CFD work.
AJSayad
Hey everyone,

I'm coming to the end of my Mechanical Engineering B.S. degree and I've been in the process of applying to mechanical and aerospace PhD programs. I want to do research in fluid mechanics; I have some expereience in hypersonics from a Research Expereince for Undergraduates NSF program so I'm thinkning about sticking to that specific field for now.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in what types of PC builds would be strong in running flow simulations. My current desktop can run some simulations well and is great for what I need it to be for now, but when I get to grad school I feel as though I may need something a little more powerful (or maybe not, I'm not too sure haha). Any advice on what I should look for, build around, or any insight in general on the topic would be awesome! Below are my current desktop specs.

Thanks for the help!

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
Graphics card: Nividia GTX 980
RAM: 16GB (x2 chips)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should do pre and postprocessing on your local machine, and do the real work on a remote high performance cluster. You should get access to one when you enroll in a program that needs serious CFD work. So I would invest in a good graphics card, and lots of memory. Maybe an hp zbook so it's portable... And two good large monitors.
I have 16 cores locally, but I almost never use it for simulations, mainly for meshing and setup/small runs. For serious CFD work, you will need 100+ cores anyway. But if you do research on 2D geometries, I guess you can get away with 16 cores.

• Informative
Likes david2, AJSayad, berkeman and 1 other person
That sounds great thanks for the input! I didn't realize it could take up to 100+ cores, I'll defintely look into some options and plan for pre/post processing locally.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build"?

A "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build" is a computer system specifically designed for conducting flow simulations in graduate school research. This type of PC build is optimized for running complex simulations quickly and accurately, allowing graduate students to analyze and model fluid and gas flow in various scenarios.

2. What are the key components of a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build"?

The main components of a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build" include a powerful processor, high-performance graphics card, ample RAM, and fast storage drives. It may also include specialized software and hardware, such as a liquid cooling system or specialized simulation software.

3. How is a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build" different from a regular personal computer?

A "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build" is optimized for running complex simulations, whereas a regular personal computer is designed for general use. This means that a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build" will have more powerful components and specialized software and hardware to handle the demands of flow simulations.

4. What are the benefits of using a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build" for research?

Using a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build" for research allows for faster and more accurate flow simulations, which can improve the quality and efficiency of research projects. It also allows for the handling of larger and more complex datasets, leading to more advanced and detailed analyses.

5. Are there any specific requirements for using a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build"?

Yes, there are specific requirements for using a "Grad School Flow Simulation PC Build". These may include a dedicated workspace with adequate ventilation, stable power supply, and proper maintenance and troubleshooting procedures. It is also important to have a basic understanding of flow simulation software and hardware to effectively use the PC build.