Is there a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization?

In summary,Yes, it is possible to have a pair of particles that are entangled and have fixed polarization values. There are a variety of ways do accomplish this with crystals (similar to your diagram in post #3). However, such pairs are NOT polarization entangled.
prokopcio
Hello everyone!
I don't know where to look for information - maybe here it will work :)

If not, is it theoretically possible to build or is it against the laws of physics.

345011239_1613801935773759_6226039408254900848_n.png

I need this knowledge for further computer simulations.
Unfortunately, no one can answer this question for me :(

Can you help me?
Lukasps.AI chat (GPT) told me that such generators exist but I'm not sure how he would know about it :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretically, you can make the state preparation whatever you like. It might not be easy to implement in reality, but experimentalist can be quite clever!

Likes PeroK, Lord Jestocost and prokopcio
Tkanks, for reply.

here :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_parametric_down-conversion

i found it :
800px-SPDC_figure.png

This suggests to me that it is possible.

But !!!

According to my computer simulations, such a device can be easily used to send information at superluminal speed, which is ruled out by the fundamental laws of physics.

I can present my simulations here, maybe someone will point out where I am making a mental error.

EDIT :
now I see that the entangled photons in this picture have no definite polarization. My oversight.
So... still waiting for reply if is posible it with definite polarisation ( i think that not ).

Have you considered the no communication theorem?

The no-communication theorem thus says shared entanglement alone cannot be used to transmit any information. Compare this with the no-teleportation theorem, which states a classical information channel cannot transmit quantum information. (By transmit, we mean transmission with full fidelity.) However, quantum teleportation schemes utilize both resources to achieve what is impossible for either alone.

Yes, I am well aware of this theorem.
I directly agree, which is why I thought such entanglement was impossible.
Still, many people try to use entanglement indirectly.
Me too :).

prokopcio said:
If not, is it theoretically possible to build or is it against the laws of physics.

Regardless of how you might interpret the previous comments:

It is an absolute contradiction of terms for a pair of particles to be polarization entangled AND have a fixed polarization. If particles are polarization entangled, they are in a superposition of polarization states - and therefore have no specific polarization value until they are measured.

Yes, it is possible to have a pair of particles that are entangled and have fixed polarization values. There are a variety of ways do accomplish this with crystals (similar to your diagram in post #3). However, such pairs are NOT polarization entangled.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, prokopcio, Lord Jestocost and 2 others
prokopcio said:
This suggests to me that it is possible.
No, it doesn't. You are misinterpreting the diagram. What the diagram is actually saying is that, in the vast majority of cases, the two photons are not entangled. But, in a small minority of cases, where the two photons come out along the lines labeled "entangled photons", then they are entangled--and neither of them have definite polarizations (all you know is that the polarizations are perpendicular).

Likes vanhees71, DrChinese and prokopcio
DrChinese said:
Regardless of how you might interpret the previous comments:

It is an absolute contradiction of terms for a pair of particles to be polarization entangled AND have a fixed polarization. If particles are polarization entangled, they are in a superposition of polarization states - and therefore have no specific polarization value until they are measured.
It's what i needed , now all is clear and i know where was my important knowledge gaps....
Thank You !!!

One question more if can.... about this:
DrChinese said:
Yes, it is possible to have a pair of particles that are entangled and have fixed polarization values. There are a variety of ways do accomplish this with crystals (similar to your diagram in post #3). However, such pairs are NOT polarization entangled.
PeterDonis said:
You are misinterpreting the diagram. What the diagram is actually saying is that, in the vast majority of cases, the two photons are not entangled. But, in a small minority of cases, where the two photons come out along the lines labeled "entangled photons", then they are entangled--and neither of them have definite polarizations (all you know is that the polarizations are perpendicular).
yes, I wrote that I misunderstood it earlier. But the question is if in this particular case the 2 entangled photons are polarization entangled, but we know it's a vertical+horizontal superposition, I mean (0 degrees)+(90 degrees) and not e.g. +45 degrees -45 degrees.

I'm sorry, my english isn't good but hope that you understand my question.Thanks Again - You are the best !!!

If I add two vectors with 45 and -45 degrees of equal size I get horizontal polarization. If I subtract the -45 degrees from the 45 degrees I get vertical polarization. So superposition in horizontal and vertical equals superposition in 45 and -45 degrees, they are equivalent under the unitary transformation ## \frac{1}{\sqrt(2)} \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & -1
\end{pmatrix}##
There is such a transformation for any two directions with 90 degree direction difference.

Likes DrChinese and prokopcio
prokopcio said:
if in this particular case the 2 entangled photons are polarization entangled, but we know it's a vertical+horizontal superposition
No, you don't. All you know is that the polarizations are perpendicular.

prokopcio said:
But the question is if in this particular case the 2 entangled photons are polarization entangled, but we know it's a vertical+horizontal superposition, I mean (0 degrees)+(90 degrees) and not e.g. +45 degrees -45 degrees.

I'm sorry, my english isn't good but hope that you understand my question.

Thanks Again - You are the best !!!

When a pair of those entangled photons are in a vertical/horizontal superposition, they are also in a superposition on all polarization bases. That would include +45 degrees and -45 degrees. Both @Structure seeker and @PeterDonis are also correct in their answers, each coming at your question from a slightly different perspective.

Likes prokopcio
PeterDonis said:
All you know is that the polarizations are perpendicular.
It was clear "always".

For me todays reply is :

It's imposible to generate pair of photons with known polarizations...

Second learn is ( very good and simply explained by all of you ) :
0 and 90 = -45 and +45
i saw it difference before, now after calculation understand how it works.

Before talking to you, everything was exactly the same for me in the simulation, just a different point of view led me to a dead end.

Last edited:

1. What is a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization?

A generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization is a device that produces pairs of photons that are entangled, meaning their quantum states are correlated. The polarization of these photons remains fixed, meaning it does not change over time or distance.

2. How does a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization work?

The exact mechanism of how a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization works depends on the specific design and technology used. However, in general, it involves creating a pair of photons with opposite polarizations and then entangling them through a process such as spontaneous parametric down-conversion or four-wave mixing.

3. What is the purpose of a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization?

The purpose of a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization is to provide a source of entangled photons for use in quantum information processing, such as quantum cryptography, quantum teleportation, and quantum computing. These applications rely on the unique properties of entangled photons to perform tasks that are not possible with classical information processing systems.

4. Can a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization be used for practical applications?

Yes, a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization has already been used in various practical applications such as quantum key distribution for secure communication, quantum random number generation, and quantum metrology for precise measurements. As technology advances, it is expected that more practical applications will be developed.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges with using a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization?

Yes, there are some limitations and challenges with using a generator of entangled photons with fixed polarization. One limitation is the distance over which entanglement can be maintained, as it can be affected by factors such as noise and loss. Additionally, the production of entangled photons with fixed polarization can be technically challenging and expensive, which may limit its widespread use in certain applications.