Register to reply

Cauchy's Integral Formula and Ampere's Law - Any Connection?

by brandon_1892
Tags: ampere's law complex
Share this thread:
brandon_1892
Feb5-13, 05:31 PM
P: 1
I know how, by Amp[itex]\grave{e}[/itex]re's Law for the loop integral of a magnetic field, $$\oint_C \textbf B \cdot d \textbf s = \mu_0 I$$ and this is zero when there is no current enclosed in the loop; there is a nonzero result when there is a current.

With Cauchy's Integral Theorem, if a function is analytic on and in the loop integrated over, $$\oint_C f(z) dz = 0$$; otherwise there may be a nonzero result.

Since essentially the magnetic field approaches infinity right in the current, I thought maybe Ampere's Law is an instance of Cauchy's Integral Formula/Theorem; when there is no current enclosed, the magnetic field has no such center, so all of it would be analytic.

Is this an actual connection, then?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vibrational motion of a single molecule measured in real time
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
elfmotat
Feb5-13, 11:17 PM
P: 260
If you wanted to get hand-wavy, I suppose you could view current as the residue of the magnetic field.

Register to reply