Using Ampere's Law for these two different integration paths

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ampere's law in calculating the magnetic field at every point on a path of integration. Situation A involves using the principle of superposition and vector addition to find the varying B-field along a dotted circle, while situation B involves using Ampere's law, but it may not be accurate due to the presence of conductors outside the path. The additional question asks about the use of the term "really heavy" to imply that the conductors remain in place or their distances from the points on the circle remain constant.
WannaLearnPhysics
Homework Statement:: The magnetic field at every point on the path of integration
Relevant Equations:: The scenarios/situations are shown in the attached photo.

"Any conductors present that are not enclosed by a particular path may still contribute to the value of B field at every point, but the line integrals of their fields around the path are zero" This is the statement from Young and Freedman's University Physics with Modern Physics.

For situation A, I'm thinking that since no currents are enclosed, we can't really use Ampere's law to know the magnetic field at a certain point on the dotted circle. In this case (suppose that the conductors are very long, and straight), we should use B = μI/2πr and do vector addition. This means that the magnetic field at every point on the dotted circle is not the same. I'm sure about this, but I just want to verify if I'm correct.

My real problem is situation B. If I use ampere's law then that means that the magnetic field at every point on the path (dotted circle) is just B=μI(encl)/2πr. I don't think this is correct because just like the statement above, conductors not enclosed by the path may still contribute to the value of B. I'm thinking that this is similar to situation A wherein the magnetic field at every point on the dotted circle is not the same (considering the currents outside the circle and their distances to a certain point), which means I should follow the principle of superposition of magnetic fields.Additional question. Can I say "consider the conductors to be really heavy" to imply that they stay in place or that their distances to the points on the circle remain constant?

[Moderator's note: Moved to a technical forum since the questions are about general understanding..]

Attachments

• ampere's law.png
    ampere's law.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Ampere's law applies for any closed path, regardless of the shape of the path and whether or not it encloses conductors. However, it is only useful to calculate the B-field when you can use the symmetry of the problem to see (for example) that the B-field is constant along the path you have chosen. When there is no symmetry, like in the pictures you have uploaded, I don't see any way to use Ampere's law to calculate the B-field. In cases like these, you typically have to use numerical codes to calculate the B-field by numerically carrying out the Biot-Savart law integrals.

Likes WannaLearnPhysics, nasu and etotheipi

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop.

2. How is Ampere's Law used?

Ampere's Law is used to calculate the magnetic field around a closed loop by integrating the magnetic field along the loop. It can also be used to find the current passing through the loop if the magnetic field is known.

3. What are the two different integration paths used in Ampere's Law?

The two different integration paths used in Ampere's Law are the closed loop path and the path along which the magnetic field is being integrated. These paths must be chosen carefully to ensure accurate results.

4. How do you choose the integration path for Ampere's Law?

The integration path for Ampere's Law is chosen based on the symmetry of the problem. It should be chosen in a way that simplifies the calculation of the magnetic field. In some cases, multiple integration paths may need to be used to accurately calculate the magnetic field.

5. What are some applications of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law has many practical applications, including the design of electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.