B field between the plates of a charging capacitor (Ampere's law)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field in a capacitor with cylindrical symmetry using Ampere's law. The component of the magnetic field tangent to the circular loop is found to be dependent on the radius, and it is questioned whether there is a radial component of the magnetic field. It is concluded that the cylindrical symmetry of the system does not guarantee this, but it is possible to use Gauss' theorem to show that the flux of the magnetic field through a cylindrical "pillbox" must be zero, indicating that there is no radial component. This same reasoning can also be applied to a solenoid where the uniform magnetic field is increasing, and a nonzero electric field is found along a circular loop.
FranzDiCoccio
A standard example consider a capacitor whose parallel plates have a circular shape, of radius [tex]R[/tex], so that the system has a cylindrical symmetry.
The magnetic field at a given distance [itex]r[/itex] from the common axis of the plates is calculated via Ampere's law:
[tex]
\oint_\gamma {\mathbf B} \cdot d{\mathbf s} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \dot \Phi_S({\mathbf E})
[/tex]

If [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a circle of radius [itex]r<R[/itex], one gets
[tex]
B_t = \mu_0 \frac{r}{R^2} I
[/tex]
and otherwise
[tex]
B_t = \mu_0 \frac{1}{r} I
[/tex]
where [itex]B_t[/itex] is the component of the magnetic field that is tangent to the circular loop.

My question is: how do we know that there is no radial component of the magnetic field, so that we can conclude [itex]B=B_t[/itex]?
I do not think that the cylindrical symmetry of the system is enough to warrant this.

Could the reason be some "matching condition" between the magnetic field inside and outside the capacitor (I mean, in the regions where the current carrying wires are)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because there is another Maxwell equation for B which is (Gauss) that the flux of B is zero through any closed surface.

Likes FranzDiCoccio
Oh, right. Thanks!
Silly me. Serves me right for working until 2 AM. I should have gone to bed and started fresh in the morning.

So, right, if I consider a cylindrical "pillbox" with the same axis as the plates, and the same radius as the loop, the flux of B through it should be 0. And this is possible only if B has no radial component.

I'd say that the same line of reasoning would apply to the analogous problem where a solenoid is charging up.
The uniform B field inside the solenoid is increasing, and there is a nonzero [itex]E_t[/itex] along a circular loop that has the same axis as the solenoid. Again, Gauss' theorem and the fact that there is no net electrical charge in the solenoid allows us to rule out an [itex]E_r[/itex].
Neat.

Thanks again!

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the B field between the plates of a charging capacitor?

The B field, also known as the magnetic field, between the plates of a charging capacitor is the area in which a magnetic force is exerted. It is created by the movement of electric charges within the capacitor and is perpendicular to the direction of the electric field between the plates.

2. How is the B field calculated using Ampere's law?

Ampere's law states that the integral of the magnetic field along a closed loop is equal to the product of the current passing through the loop and the permeability of free space. Therefore, to calculate the B field between the plates of a charging capacitor, one must determine the current passing through the loop and the permeability of free space.

3. Does the B field change as the capacitor charges?

Yes, the B field between the plates of a charging capacitor changes as the capacitor charges. This is because the electric field between the plates changes, which in turn affects the movement of electric charges and thus the creation of the B field.

4. What factors affect the strength of the B field between the plates of a charging capacitor?

The strength of the B field between the plates of a charging capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, and the permeability of free space. Additionally, the amount of charge on the plates and the speed at which the capacitor is charging can also impact the strength of the B field.

5. How does the B field between the plates of a charging capacitor relate to the energy stored in the capacitor?

The energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the square of the B field between the plates. This means that as the B field increases, so does the amount of energy stored in the capacitor. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of capacitors in electrical circuits.