Purchasing chemicals?

by jzq
Tags: chemicals, purchasing
jzq
Mar13-05, 08:55 PM
P: 55
Can individuals purchase chemicals online/anywhere or is it illegal? If it is legal, I would like to know the cheapest place to purchase them online.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
Moonbear
Mar13-05, 09:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
It depends on the chemicals you're interested in purchasing. Some are heavily regulated due to their hazardous nature, others are more readily available to individuals.
jzq
Mar13-05, 09:06 PM
Quote Quote by Moonbear
It depends on the chemicals you're interested in purchasing. Some are heavily regulated due to their hazardous nature, others are more readily available to individuals.
Acids? And where is the cheapest place to buy them online?

Moonbear
Mar14-05, 12:30 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold

Purchasing chemicals?

Keep in mind that for ordering acids, you're only going to be able to get them fairly dilute because concentrated acids are considered hazardous materials, and will only be sold to institutions (and some acids you may not be able to purchase at all as an individual).

I can't tell you who would offer the best price for individual purchases since I have to purchase through university approved vendors (because they have all the documentation processed to be allowed to sell us the more regulated chemicals). You will have to comparison shop (a google search will bring up plenty of vendors).

If you find one vendor with a better price than another for one product, don't assume they have better prices on all their products. Also, watch the shipping fees. Those can vary quite a bit and sometimes a better priced item has a higher priced shipping fee that makes it overall more expensive.
jzq
Mar14-05, 11:03 PM
So if there was a supplier around my area close enough for me just to go and pick it up, I'd still need special clearance to purchase chemicals? Are they only regulated online because of the dangers of shipping or are they regulated everywhere because of hazards in general?
Moonbear
Mar15-05, 12:07 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
The ones that are regulated are regulated everywhere, and yes, it's because of their hazardous nature. Regulation as hazardous can be for several reasons: safe handling requires special precautions or equipment; requirements for proper disposal of waste; potential for misuse.
pack_rat2
Mar19-05, 06:37 PM
P: 183
You can legally purchase any kind of chemical, except some that are used in making illegal drugs, provided you're a legal adult (some states may have additional laws, though). However, many chemical supply houses will only sell hazardous chemicals to institutions, due to potential liability problems. My suggestion is to try to find a local chemical supply house that isn't one of the big chains, and get to know them. Also, check the Internet (including E-bay) for chemical availability. You can get all sorts of things through mail-order, though the shipping costs for items like concentrated acids can be outrageous.
Mar25-05, 08:40 PM
P: 166
http://sciencekit.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_427177

some basic stuff that won't land you your own cell in the state penn. hope it helps

Fibonacci

p.s.
go to google and type in 'chemical suplies' or like stuff, it helps

Register to reply