Would anyone be able to help me regarding mercury?

• Thread starter RTH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mercury
In summary: Master,There is a lot of potential for dangerous consequences if you try to obtain mercury without the proper training and safety precautions. It is not advisable to do anything with this element without proper training and equipment.
RTH
Hello all,
Would anyone be able to help me with a few different questions I have about mercury? I'm looking at the feasibility of purchasing a small amount of elemental mercury and would appreciate if anyone could give me some direction.

On the internet, there seems to be a range of widely differing opinions, some say that it is extremely dangerous and should be avoided at all costs, while others seem to take a more relaxed approach and say it it fine as long as you remain sensible around it, and that it even can be touched as long as you do not have any wounds on your hands (NileRed).

I understand that it is not really sensible to go around inhaling large amounts of it, however is a small amount of elemental mercury alright if it is used in a well ventilated space? I have also been struggling on where to find a place to purchase it in a sensible quantity - could anyone help me with that?

Sorry if this topic has been raised before.
Many thanks in advance
RTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's dangerous. Especially if you have to ask.

Likes DaveE
Annddd, the purpose would be?

Likes russ_watters
Yes, I think you are probably right :biggrin:, admittedly I'm not qualified, however from some research I did I understood it wasn't going to kill me outright or harm me if I was careful with it, however the varying opinions made me want to check.

Bystander said:
Annddd, the purpose would be?
Element collection - basically something along the lines of this but without the ampoule.
mercury.PNG

I mean, if all you wanted to do was store it in a little jar to look at, no big deal, but otherwise it depends on the very specific details of what you want to do with it. Any sort of handling is not advised.

Likes jim mcnamara
Yes
russ_watters said:
I mean, if all you wanted to do was store it in a little jar to look at, no big deal, but otherwise it depends on the very specific details of what you want to do with it. Any sort of handling is not advised.
Yes, that's basically it - maybe float some other metal in it.

Kind regards,
RTH

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Likes jim mcnamara
A consensus of mentors feel that what you are looking into is very dangerous and potentially life threatening. We recommend you not to investigate further and have locked this thread due to liability issues for PF.

Having said that, this thread will remain closed and may be deleted at a later time to deter others from doing similarly dangerous things with mercury.

In Texas, there was a student who managed to acquire some mercury and through mishandling created quite a mess:

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story...ssa-student-takes-mercury-school/15050240007/

and this article about industrial cases:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2702399/

Jedi

1. What are the potential health effects of mercury exposure?

Mercury is a toxic substance that can cause a variety of health effects, including neurological and developmental problems, damage to the kidneys and lungs, and reproductive issues. It can also have negative impacts on the immune system and cardiovascular system.

2. How can I determine if I have been exposed to mercury?

If you suspect that you have been exposed to mercury, you can consult with your healthcare provider for testing. They may conduct a blood, urine, or hair test to determine your level of exposure. It is important to note that the symptoms of mercury poisoning can vary and may not always be immediately apparent.

3. What are the main sources of mercury exposure?

Mercury can be found in various forms and sources, including certain types of fish, dental fillings, thermometers, and fluorescent light bulbs. It can also be released into the environment through industrial processes, such as coal burning and mining activities.

4. How can I reduce my exposure to mercury?

To reduce your exposure to mercury, you can limit your consumption of certain types of fish, avoid using products that contain mercury, and properly dispose of any products that contain mercury. It is also important to follow safety precautions when working with mercury-containing products.

5. What should I do if I have been exposed to mercury?

If you have been exposed to mercury, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Your healthcare provider can assess your level of exposure and provide appropriate treatment. You should also take steps to limit your exposure in the future and follow any safety guidelines provided by your healthcare provider.