More moles of gas per moles of material reaction

In summary, an undergraduate astrophysics student is seeking the opinion of chemists on using a specific type of laser to mimic an air bag inflation effect by chemically ablating a non-toxic material with offgassing effects. The only hints so far have been some carbonates and bicarbonates, with the possibility of a "reverse" reaction with the ammonium salt. The idea of ablating solid peroxides was also suggested. The student is looking for any knowledge or input on this scenario and also asks if there are databases that store UV-Vis spectra for these materials.
TRB8985
Good evening,

I'm an undergraduate astrophysics student currently doing research, and I wanted to get the opinion of some
knowledgable chemists about a particular reaction my professor and I wish to emulate.

Using a specific type of laser (Nd: YAG, for example), I'd like to mimic something akin to an air bag inflation effect by chemically ablating some type of material. However, the struggle has been trying to find some type of material that's not completely toxic/carcinogenic and actually has appreciable offgassing effects.

So far, the only hints have been the following chemicals:
- Ammonium Carbonate
- Calcium Bicarbonate
- Magnesium Hydrogen Carbonate
- Hydrous Sodium Bicarbonate

But I'd like to have at least *some* semblance of expectation that some of these work before purchasing them. Additionally, the idea of ablating solid peroxides was offered by someone outside of our department.

Does anyone have any knowledge surrounding this scenario with these chemicals or process? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Any of the listed carbonates/bicarbonates will work; the ammonium salt gives you a "reverse" reaction possibility.

Likes TRB8985
Thanks Bystander! Appreciate your help.

You wouldn't happen to know of any kind of databases that store UV-Vis spectra on these by any chance, would you?

Really crossing my fingers here!

TRB8985 said:
UV-Vis spectra
Sadtler.

What does "more moles of gas per moles of material reaction" mean?

"More moles of gas per moles of material reaction" refers to the ratio of the number of moles of gas produced or consumed in a chemical reaction to the number of moles of the reactant or product involved in the reaction. This ratio is important in determining the stoichiometry of a reaction and understanding the amount of gas produced or consumed.

What is the significance of this ratio in a chemical reaction?

This ratio is important because it helps determine the amount of product that can be produced from a given amount of reactant, and vice versa. It also helps in understanding the efficiency of a reaction and can be used to calculate the limiting reactant.

How is this ratio calculated?

The ratio is calculated by dividing the number of moles of gas produced or consumed in a reaction by the number of moles of the reactant or product involved in the reaction. This can be determined experimentally or by using the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation.

What factors can affect the ratio of moles of gas per moles of material reaction?

The ratio can be affected by the stoichiometry of the reaction, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and the presence of any catalysts. It can also be influenced by the physical state of the reactants and products, as well as any side reactions that may occur.

Why is it important to consider this ratio in industrial processes?

This ratio is crucial in industrial processes as it helps determine the efficiency and yield of a reaction. By understanding the ratio, industries can optimize their processes and minimize waste, leading to cost savings and more sustainable production.