Chemical engineering, is it for me?

In summary, the student is considering a level of study in mathematics or chemical engineering. They have always been interested in maths, but they are Unsure if they will like either subject after university. They are looking for advice on what questions to ask themselves before making a decision.
Foulassassin
I'm a college student 17 years of age; I'm at the point in life where I need to use what degree I want to do. I have chosen the following a levels:
- Physics
- Further maths
- Chemistry
- Maths
At the moment I'm thinking of doing either chemical engineering or maths.
I have always been fond of maths but I don't if I'll start to hate at uni as it's all theory based.
Also chemical engineering I have chosen because it includes all my a levels and of course the salary :approve:.
Though the problem is I don't know if I'll like either of them; so what kind of questions should I be asking myself before making a choice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Money doesn't care what you like.

Math is a very widely applicable skill, so you can study it and keep your options open for changing to another major if math loses its appeal. Note that cryptography is applied math and a major growth area in the economy.
Physics is a near math discipline, chemistry rather less so, both areas are directly tied to large segments of industry, with job opportunities to match.

You are set up pretty well for any type of engineering (mech, electrical, chem, civil, aerospace, etc ...) at university, or physics, chemistry or maths.

The engineering courses in the first year are often common to all the disciplines, so you don't really have to make a decision about what to specialize in until the second year.

If you want to be involved in something "practical", maybe a maths degree isn't the best choice for you. You will probably find there's a much larger maths content in university-level engineering or science than in A level science courses.

After intense research I think I'll do maths, as it leaves me with so many choices at the end. Thanks for the advise guys!

1. What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies the principles of chemistry, physics, and biology to design, develop, and optimize processes for the production of various materials and products. Chemical engineers work to develop and improve processes for the manufacturing of products such as pharmaceuticals, fuels, and food.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in chemical engineering?

To be successful in chemical engineering, one must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of chemistry, physics, and math. Additionally, communication, teamwork, and time-management skills are important for working in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.

3. Is chemical engineering a good career choice?

Chemical engineering is a highly rewarding and challenging career choice. It offers a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, energy, and environmental engineering. Additionally, chemical engineers often have high earning potential and can make a significant impact on society through their work.

4. What are the educational requirements for a career in chemical engineering?

Most chemical engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's or doctoral degree. It is important to have a strong background in chemistry, physics, and math to be successful in the field.

5. What are some common job duties for chemical engineers?

The specific job duties of a chemical engineer can vary depending on their industry and specialization. However, some common job duties include researching and developing new processes, designing and optimizing equipment and systems, overseeing production processes, and ensuring safety and environmental compliance. Chemical engineers may also work on troubleshooting and problem-solving to improve processes and products.