Book of T-S diagrams, or the like

In summary, this person is transitioning from chemistry to engineering and is looking for a book that is primarily just T-S diagrams. They found one book, but it does not have charts for CO2. Their professor is saying that chemical engineers first go to steam tables to get estimates in industry.
echandler
Hello - I just starting out in chemical engineering. I hold a batchelor's degree in Chemistry, and am making a transition to ChemE. This isn't for any class, just in general for reference, does anyone know of a good book that is primarily just thermodynamic charts, like T-S diagrams? I have Perry's and it definitely has a lot of charts, but only about every seventh or eighth compound has one. Normally, this probably wouldn't really be something to sneeze over, until I found no chart for CO2. Upon further investigation, I found that many of the hydrocarbons don't have charts in Perry's either. But our professor is saying that chemical engineers first go to steam tables to get estimates in industry. I found a book on amazon called The T-S diagram from 1911. I assume I would want something newer.

Am I missing something here and there really are just tons of books out there? Or do Chemical Engineers only have a few substances that they work with and just plug numbers into programs for the less used substances to get the final answer every time, even though they only need an estimate of the heat requirement for a process, for example? Or am I just missing the resources?

And I have REFPROP - NIST and other electronic databanks, but I really do like to use physical resources when I can, so I'm really specifically asking about physical books and such.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Applied Thermodynamics, ACS State of the Art Symposia, reprints from I&EC 1967-1968, Kwang-Chu Chao (presumably editor). If you can run down some of the more obscure ACS/AIChE material you may find yourself in luck --- more than likely the opposite --- I grabbed what I could many years ago.

Likes tkyoung75
Why don't you just Google the T-S diagrams of the substances you are interested in? I found one pretty easily for CO2. Also, chemical process simulation software like Aspen has lots of thermo data in its data banks.

Likes tkyoung75
Bystander said:
Applied Thermodynamics, ACS State of the Art Symposia, reprints from I&EC 1967-1968, Kwang-Chu Chao (presumably editor). If you can run down some of the more obscure ACS/AIChE material you may find yourself in luck --- more than likely the opposite --- I grabbed what I could many years ago.
This looks good! Thanks for the suggestion!

Chestermiller said:
Why don't you just Google the T-S diagrams of the substances you are interested in? I found one pretty easily for CO2. Also, chemical process simulation software like Aspen has lots of thermo data in its data banks.
Thank you for the reply! Yes, I found three different ones in less than two minutes that worked fine. I'm certainly not opposed to google, and use it for pretty much everything, but I guess I'm old school a little bit in that I prefer to flip through a physical page if it doesn't make me lose efficiency and time in my work. Its purely a preference and aesthetics thing.

1. What is a T-S diagram?

A T-S diagram, also known as a Temperature-Entropy diagram, is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic properties of a substance. It plots the temperature on the y-axis and the entropy on the x-axis, allowing for a visual representation of changes in temperature and entropy.

2. How is a T-S diagram used in science?

T-S diagrams are commonly used in thermodynamics to analyze and understand the behavior of a substance or system. They can also be used to determine the efficiency of a thermodynamic process or to compare the thermodynamic properties of different substances.

3. What information can be obtained from a T-S diagram?

A T-S diagram can provide information about the state of a substance, such as its temperature, entropy, and specific volume. It can also show the direction and magnitude of heat transfer, work, and other thermodynamic processes.

4. How is a T-S diagram created?

To create a T-S diagram, data points for a specific substance are plotted on a graph with temperature on the y-axis and entropy on the x-axis. These data points are typically obtained through experimentation or from tables and charts of thermodynamic properties.

5. What are the limitations of using a T-S diagram?

One limitation of T-S diagrams is that they are only applicable to thermodynamic systems in equilibrium. They also do not take into account factors such as heat transfer or work done by the system, which may affect the actual behavior of a substance. Additionally, T-S diagrams are only applicable to idealized systems and may not accurately represent real-world conditions.