Online Certificates/Programs to Supplement Resume

• Thread starter jio87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary, the individual currently has almost two years of experience as an R&D chemical/materials engineer and plans to quit their job soon to self-teach advanced engineering concepts and develop necessary skills. They have a well thought out plan and believe the benefits outweigh the risks, but are concerned about the stereotype of unemployed applicants. They are seeking recommendations for inexpensive and credible online engineering certificates or programs related to materials/chemical engineering to supplement their job gap. Taking university classes is not an option, but they have a BS in chemical engineering and a passion for advanced materials, specifically catalysts.
jio87
I'm currently employed as a R&D chemical/materials engineer with almost two years of experience. I plan to quit my job soon and take 6-9 months to self-teach myself advanced engineering concepts and to develop certain skills I’ll need to succeed in my career. I have a well thought out plan on how to accomplish this and have concluded that the benefits of doing this far out way the risks. However, I want to minimize the risk of not being able to find a job in 6-9 months considering the stereotype that HR/hiring managers have of unemployed applicants. What are some inexpensive but good online engineering certificates/programs, ideally related to materials/chemical engineering, that would act to supplement the job gap on my resume? Taking classes through a university is not currently an option. I have BS in chemical engineering and a passion for the development of advanced materials, especially catalysts.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jio87 said:
What are some inexpensive but good online engineering certificates/programs, ideally related to materials/chemical engineering, that would act to supplement the job gap on my resume? Taking classes through a university is not currently an option. I have BS in chemical engineering and a passion for the development of advanced materials, especially catalysts.

I am not an engineer but on-line programs are to be suspect. There must be some acknowledgment from recognized professional organizations of the validity of the programs e.g., . certified by the National Society of Professional Engineers. Caveat emptor.

What country? The Open University in the UK is respected but don't know if they have the course you need. Can do their courses while you work. My wife did one some years ago. Was hard work.

What are online certificates/programs to supplement resume?

Online certificates/programs to supplement resume are courses or programs that are completed online and provide a certification or specialized training in a specific field. These programs can be completed remotely and are often self-paced, making them a convenient option for individuals looking to enhance their resume.

How can online certificates/programs benefit my resume?

Online certificates/programs can benefit your resume in several ways. They can demonstrate your commitment to continuous learning and professional development, showcase your skills and knowledge in a specific area, and make you stand out among other job applicants. They can also help you stay updated with the latest industry trends and technologies.

Are online certificates/programs recognized by employers?

Yes, many employers recognize and value online certificates/programs. As long as the program is reputable and relevant to the job or industry you are applying for, it can add credibility to your resume. It is important to research the program and its accreditation before enrolling to ensure its recognition by potential employers.

How do I choose the right online certificate/program?

When choosing an online certificate/program, consider your career goals and the skills you want to develop. Research the program's curriculum, instructors, and accreditation to ensure its quality and relevance. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from professionals in your field.

Can online certificates/programs replace a traditional degree?

Online certificates/programs can provide specialized knowledge and skills, but they cannot replace a traditional degree. They can supplement your resume and demonstrate your commitment to continuous learning, but they may not hold the same weight as a degree from a reputable institution. It is important to consider your career goals and the requirements of the job you are applying for when deciding between a certificate/program and a traditional degree.