Chem Eng Masters: Major for Chemistry/Phys or Chem/Mech?

• Thread starter victoriari
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to pursue a masters in chemical engineering, it is better to choose a major/minor (chemistry and physics) or major/minor (chemistry and mechanics) to pursue.
victoriari
TL;DR Summary: Is it better to choose a major/minor (chemistry and physics) or major/minor (chemistry and mechanics) to pursue a masters in chemical engineering in the future?

Hi
So I just finished my first year of uni and I was studying materials science. Since it is a French uni system it's a bit different but now I have to choose what I will study in my second year. My options are: double major (chemistry and physics), major/minor (chemistry and physics), major/minor (chemistry and mechanics) and just chemistry. As I want to do my masters in chemical engineering I found myself wondering which one of those options would be the most suitable for my future studies. I would be really grateful for any advice, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am just making a wild guess, but if your advanced-level goal is Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering, then a undergraduate degree choice of major should be Chemical Engineering.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
If you are restricted to just those two choices you listed, still a guess would be major Chemistry + minor Mechanical (assuming you mean "Mechanical Engineering"). Reasoning is as chemical engineer, you may need to put some attention on the handling and movement of different kinds of solid materials. Again, I am only guessing that Mechanical Engineering can focus your education better than Physics; but really all this depends on what the finer choices are available to you.

Likes osilmag
This sounds like a good question for an undergraduate advisor at your university. They will be a lot more familiar with things like specific courses in each program, workloads, graduate school requirements in your system, where graduates of each program end up going, etc.

• Informative
Likes vela, Vanadium 50, gmax137 and 2 others
symbolipoint said:
If you are restricted to just those two choices you listed, still a guess would be major Chemistry + minor Mechanical (assuming you mean "Mechanical Engineering"). Reasoning is as chemical engineer, you may need to put some attention on the handling and movement of different kinds of solid materials.
<<Emphasis added.>> I just want to point out that fluid mechanics is a core subject in standard undergraduate mechanical engineering programs as well.

But I agree with the advice to check with a local undergraduate advisor, since the OP is in the French university system, and, for whatever reason, is not majoring in chemical engineering as an undergrad.

1. What is the difference between a Chemistry/Phys and Chem/Mech major in a Chem Eng Masters program?

A Chemistry/Phys major in a Chem Eng Masters program focuses on the fundamentals of chemistry and physics, with an emphasis on how they apply to chemical engineering processes. A Chem/Mech major, on the other hand, combines chemistry with mechanical engineering principles to study the design and operation of chemical processes and equipment.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available for graduates with a Chem Eng Masters in either Chemistry/Phys or Chem/Mech?

Graduates with a Chem Eng Masters in either Chemistry/Phys or Chem/Mech have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, materials, and biotechnology. They can work in research and development, process design and optimization, quality control, and many other areas.

3. Is a Chem Eng Masters in Chemistry/Phys or Chem/Mech more suitable for someone interested in research?

Both majors can lead to research opportunities, but a Chemistry/Phys major may be more suitable for those interested in fundamental research in areas such as catalysis, materials science, and nanotechnology. A Chem/Mech major may be more suitable for those interested in applied research and development in areas such as process design and optimization.

4. What skills do I need to succeed in a Chem Eng Masters program in either Chemistry/Phys or Chem/Mech?

To succeed in a Chem Eng Masters program, you will need a strong foundation in chemistry, physics, and math. You should also have excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. Additionally, experience with computer programming and laboratory techniques will be beneficial.

5. Can I switch between the Chemistry/Phys and Chem/Mech majors during my Chem Eng Masters program?

It may be possible to switch between majors during your Chem Eng Masters program, but this will depend on the specific program and its requirements. It is important to discuss any potential changes with your academic advisor to ensure that you meet all the necessary requirements for both majors.