My Misconceptions of Evolution

• Thread starter NWH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, it is a misconception of evolution to think that one could have been created at any time throughout the universe's existence, as it is dependent on specific conditions and the availability of evolving species. This possibility is currently unfalsifiable and therefore not worth considering.
NWH
According to Ryan_m_b it is a "misconception of evolution" that I could have been created at any time throughout the universe's existence, as opposed to just now. I'd be curious to learn why this is a "misconception of evolution" and why it is a fallacy of my logic to think otherwise. I expect a full and detailed response because I want to ensure I don't run into any other well founded misconceptions in the future.

Biology news on Phys.org
The simplest answer is lineage. Life evolves by tiny random genetic changes which cause phenotypic changes that are non-randomly selected for by the environment. Every organism born is just a tiny bit different to its parent. It is not possible for you to have been born at any other time because you could only have been born to this species and more specifically, your parents. This is also true for your parents and so on and so forth back through time.

NWH said:
According to Ryan_m_b it is a "misconception of evolution" that I could have been created at any time throughout the universe's existence, as opposed to just now. I'd be curious to learn why this is a "misconception of evolution" and why it is a fallacy of my logic to think otherwise. I expect a full and detailed response because I want to ensure I don't run into any other well founded misconceptions in the future.
Here you go.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=543950

Obviously we don't teach school courses here. After you learn about evolution, you can ask for clarification on specific items that you need clarification on.

I assume since this is biology and your question is evolution, you are suggesting that the entire human species could just randomly pop into existence at any time, not you personally, because that isn't evolution.

NWH said:
You and could have been created by evolution at any time and place when certain conditions were met. The conditions are not met at all times and places. They probably have been met at a lot of times and places. Most of these times and places are inaccessible to us now. Maybe there are no other times and places.

The probability of any species evolving is conditional. The probability of a species having evolved by a certain time at a certain place vary with the conditions at that place and time. Random does not mean free of conditions.

There is no scientific proof that there isn't a you or I at some other place and some other time in the universe. There is a possibility that there are other times and places with organisms indistinguishable from you and I. This possibility is unfalsifiable and currently unprovable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darwin123 said:
You and could have been created by evolution at any time and place when certain conditions were met. The conditions are not met at all times and places. They probably have been met at a lot of times and places. Most of these times and places are inaccessible to us now. Maybe there are no other times and places.
What makes you come to this conclusion given that life only evolves in increments?
Darwin123 said:
The probability of any species evolving is conditional. The probability of a species having evolved by a certain time at a certain place vary with the conditions at that place and time. Random does not mean free of conditions.
The probability of a species evolving is conditional not only on environmental conditions but also on the species available to evolve from. This is the huge and pertinent issue here.
Darwin123 said:
There is no scientific proof that there isn't a you or I at some other place and some other time in the universe. There is a possibility that there are other times and places with organisms indistinguishable from you and I. This possibility is unfalsifiable and currently unprovable.
Indeed and thus we don't need to entertain it. Let's drop this off-topic thread.

1. What is evolution?

Evolution is the scientific theory that explains how species of living organisms change and develop over time through the process of natural selection. It is driven by genetic variation, environmental pressures, and reproductive success.

2. Is evolution just a theory?

In science, a theory is an explanation that is supported by a large body of evidence. Evolution is considered a well-supported and widely accepted scientific theory, backed by evidence from various fields including genetics, geology, and paleontology.

3. Does evolution mean that humans evolved from monkeys?

No, humans did not evolve from monkeys. Evolutionary theory suggests that humans and modern apes share a common ancestor that lived millions of years ago. Humans and apes have both evolved and branched off from this common ancestor in different ways.

4. How does evolution explain the diversity of life on Earth?

Through the process of natural selection, evolution explains how different species have adapted and changed over time to survive in their environments. This has led to the vast diversity of life on Earth, from single-celled organisms to complex mammals.

5. Is evolution compatible with religious beliefs?

Many religious beliefs are compatible with the theory of evolution. The Catholic Church, for example, officially accepts the scientific evidence for evolution and sees it as a way for God to create life on Earth. Ultimately, the compatibility of evolution with religious beliefs is a personal interpretation and perspective.