Register to reply

Your favorite keyboard combinations

by Square1
Tags: combinations, favorite, keyboard
Share this thread:
Square1
Mar26-13, 03:15 PM
P: 115
Do you have favorite/most handy hotkeys? I started to appreciate them when in class taking notes fast and I don't have a mouse and resent using a mouse-pad heavily.

All time favorite for me is "Windows + D". It minimizes all windows and takes you to your desktop. Absolutely love it.

Close second I think is "Alt + Tab + Tab + Tab +.....". Lets you cycle through the windows that are open. What best about this though is that just one "Alt + Tab" takes you the the last open window. So if you are doing a task that requires going back and forth from one window to the other very often, making a single definite button push with your fingers I find is less distracting than going for the mouse, finding the window in the task bar, over and over.

Also a fan of "Ctrl + left or right". It jumps the cursor word by word left or right. Really useful when I am racing to take notes in class and I don't have a mouse, and need to go back in the sentence to make a quick fix. You can tack on "Shift" as well to highlight simultaneously. I find doing little changes like this every few sentences slow and distracting with a mouse-pad. Also a bit faster than holding left or right.

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Mark44
Mar26-13, 04:24 PM
Mentor
P: 21,305
The ones I use the most are CTRL-C, CTRL-V, and CTRL-X, respectively copy, paste, and delete.
berkeman
Mar26-13, 04:25 PM
Mentor
P: 41,104
What is the shortcut for maximizing a window? I seem to accidentally hit it sometimes when I'm typing fast...

trollcast
Mar26-13, 04:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 291
Your favorite keyboard combinations

Some favourites to use for a practical joke in school:

High contrast: ALT + LSHIFT + PRTSCRN (make the colours go all funky)
Slow keys: RSHIFT for 8 secs
ToggleKeys: Numlock for 5s (I think this is the one makes the pcs internal buzzer go when a certain keys are pressed)
collinsmark
Mar26-13, 05:04 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,954

[Source: http://www.toothpastefordinner.com, Date 03/20/13]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
trollcast
Mar26-13, 05:13 PM
PF Gold
P: 291
Quote Quote by collinsmark View Post

Ahh, reminds me of the old runescape trick of telling noobs to drop their items and then press ALT + F4 to *insert amazing sounding thing* to their items.
Square1
Mar26-13, 05:47 PM
P: 115
Quote Quote by collinsmark View Post

I learned the truths of this in my tender childhood years, whilst hours into intesive rts games. The paaaiiinnn........
Crake2
Mar27-13, 01:16 PM
P: 7
windows key + L whenever I leave my computer for seconds/minutes (sometimes hours).
harborsparrow
Mar28-13, 08:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 352
Once I've opened a graphics program (on Windows), I use these to grab screenshots or photos of windows:

capture current window to clipboard
Alt-PrtScrn
capture entire desktop to clipboard
Ctrl-PrtScrn

Register to reply