I choosing majors Civil engineering or physics

In summary: Physics is a more theoretical science that focuses on understanding the laws of nature. While both fields have their own unique career paths, there are also opportunities for individuals who are interested in both physics and engineering.One option is to pursue a double major in both physics and civil engineering. This would involve taking a heavier course load, but would give you a strong foundation in both fields. Another option is to major in physics and then pursue a master's degree in civil engineering or vice versa.There are also career paths that require knowledge and skills in both physics and civil engineering. For example, positions in the aerospace or defense industries may require a strong understanding of both fields. Additionally, there may be
emaanahmed
I really like physics and civil engineering. I want to both do research in physics and work and design in civil engineering. I eventually want to be a professor in either one. Can anyone give me some advice choosing majors. Should I be a double major, or do a minor? Should I get a bachelor's in physics, and a master's in civil engineering or perhaps the other way around? Also can you suggest some career paths that require both? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your future life-plans? Some specialties in CE might require you to move regularly to remain gainfully employed. I have a nephew that chose that path, and he moves fairly regularly. We don't see him for months, at times, because he's putting in lots of hours and travel can be expensive and time-consuming.

Civil Engineering is a good career, but, largely involves construction which can be unpredictable, as Turbo noted. I think a BS in physics is a great place to start. A masters in engineering is a great fit, and will only take about a year longer to complete vs a BS in engineering. It will also give you a leg up on the competition and puts you on the fast track for a PE license - which provides upward mobility [and opens wallets].

emaanahmed said:
I really like physics and civil engineering. I want to both do research in physics and work and design in civil engineering. I eventually want to be a professor in either one. Can anyone give me some advice choosing majors. Should I be a double major, or do a minor? Should I get a bachelor's in physics, and a master's in civil engineering or perhaps the other way around? Also can you suggest some career paths that require both? Thanks!
One of my co-workers has a child who was doing physics at a liberal arts school, and is transfering to an engineering school; after 6 years total she will have a BS in physics and a BS in civil engineering. I asked why her child didn't just get a masters in civil after the BS in physics - the reply was that the certifications that her child needed (edit: since many civil jobs are through government or regulated by government) actually required a BS in civil engineering.

So look into the requirements before you chose. Do not take my third-hand "knowledge" as fact - really research this yourself and ask civil engineers what is required. Perhaps my co-worker and her child heard wrong ...

I wish you the best.

jason

Last edited:
A BS in physics will give you a great education, but it's very hard to sell that to hiring managers. They have no idea what your skill set is, and if you're applying to an industry that is new to you (e.g. aerospace), you won't know what their needs are.

It can be very frustrating to a new physics grad to see employers crawling over each other to hire engineers, while your inbox just gets spam.

Engineering is wildly diverse and full of opportunities. I know CEs who have never had to move for their jobs, ever. The CE field covers transportation, construction, structural engineering, environmental engineering, geotechnical, etc.

Do a search of these forums to learn about the challenges relating to becoming a physics professor. It's a long shot.

engineering

1. What is the difference between studying civil engineering and physics?

Civil engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of physical structures such as buildings, roads, and bridges. Physics, on the other hand, is the study of the natural laws and properties of matter and energy. While there may be some overlap in coursework, the primary focus and applications of these two majors are different.

2. Which major has better job prospects and salary potential?

Both civil engineering and physics have strong job prospects and high earning potential. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for civil engineers in 2020 was $87,060 per year, while the median pay for physicists was $131,080 per year. Ultimately, the job market and salary potential will depend on your individual skills, experience, and location.

3. Is it possible to double major in civil engineering and physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in civil engineering and physics, but it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. Many schools offer a dual degree program where students can earn both degrees in a shorter amount of time. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a feasible plan.

4. Which major is more math-intensive?

Both civil engineering and physics require a strong foundation in mathematics, but physics tends to have a heavier focus on theoretical and advanced mathematics. Civil engineering, on the other hand, may have a stronger emphasis on applied mathematics and practical problem-solving.

5. What are some potential career paths for each major?

Civil engineering majors can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including construction, transportation, and environmental engineering. Physics majors often go on to work in research, technology, or academia. Some common career paths for physics majors include astrophysics, materials science, and medical physics.