Do civil engineers work with electricity?

In summary, civil engineers typically do not work with electricity in their daily tasks, but it is important for them to have a basic understanding of electrical principles and standards. This knowledge may not be directly applied in their work, but it is necessary for a well-rounded engineer. Civil engineering encompasses a wide range of sub-disciplines, and it is important for engineers to have a general knowledge of various subjects.
Mddrill
Hi, I just switched my major to civil engineering. I like the math and the mechanics, but I don't like having to learn about electricity (although it may just be my physics II professor and the lab TA). Do civil engineers ever actually work with electricity? meaning will I ever use this knowledge as a civil engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it depends but mostly no. My friend is Civil Engineer and he works as a manager. İt means you need to look for a job which is not related with electricity.

Mddrill said:
Hi, I just switched my major to civil engineering. I like the math and the mechanics, but I don't like having to learn about electricity (although it may just be my physics II professor and the lab TA). Do civil engineers ever actually work with electricity? meaning will I ever use this knowledge as a civil engineer?
You may not work with electricity like an EE might, but as an engineer, you should know the basics.

I'm a naval architect, and I sat thru a couple of classes on basic electricity in college, but I have not used that knowledge in my practice much, even though most boats and ships have an electrical system of some sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have pointed out, a civil engineer generally does not design electrical systems. But ignorance of electrical standards and the like is no better than an electrical engineer who pays no attention to the size of a power transformer or the concrete footings required for a substation.

Historically there were Civil Engineers and Military Engineers only .

Civil Engineering then embraced all the sub classes of engineering which we have today .

Actual answer to your question is same as others have given - you need basic knowledge of electrical work . Doesn't end there though - an engineer needs an extensive general knowledge of many diverse subjects .

1. What is the role of electricity in civil engineering?

Electricity plays a crucial role in civil engineering, as it is used to power various systems and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of buildings, roads, bridges, and other infrastructure projects. It is also essential for lighting, heating, and cooling systems in buildings.

2. Do civil engineers need to have knowledge of electrical engineering?

While civil engineers do not necessarily need to have in-depth knowledge of electrical engineering, they should have a basic understanding of electrical systems and how they interact with the structures they design. This knowledge helps them ensure that their designs are safe and functional.

3. Can civil engineers design electrical systems?

Civil engineers are not typically trained to design electrical systems, as this falls under the realm of electrical engineers. However, they may collaborate with electrical engineers to incorporate electrical systems into their designs and ensure they are structurally sound.

4. What types of projects require civil engineers to work with electricity?

Civil engineers may work with electricity in a variety of projects, including the design and construction of buildings, bridges, highways, airports, and water treatment facilities. They may also be involved in the installation of electrical systems in these structures.

5. Is knowledge of electricity important for a civil engineering career?

While a strong foundation in civil engineering principles is crucial for a successful career in this field, having basic knowledge of electricity can be beneficial. It allows civil engineers to understand how electrical systems impact their designs and collaborate effectively with electrical engineers.