UOttawa vs UCarleton Civil Engineering

In summary, the individual has been accepted to both Ottawa and Carleton for civil engineering co-op and is seeking opinions on which may be the better choice. Carleton has a better social community, better administration, and a focus on engineering, while Ottawa has a high employment rate and invests heavily in their engineering programs. The individual has received a $4,000 scholarship to Carleton and nothing from Ottawa, but has a family member who can possibly help with job opportunities. Both universities are highly regarded and the individual may want to consider factors such as language preference and commute. The scholarship at Carleton may be a deciding factor.
Alex_C
Hello all, I have been accepted to Ottawa and Carleton both for civil engineering co-op, I was wondering if i could get some opinions on which might be the better choice! I have heard Carleton has a better social community, better administration and a focus on engineering. I have also read that Ottawa puts a lot of money into their engineering programs and has an extremely high employment rate after graduation. A couple things to note is that I have received a $4,000 scholarship to Carleton and nothing from Ottawa. Also, my uncle works for a large engineering firm and has told me that if I do get a civil engineering degree he can probably get me in the door. I understand that Ottawa has the 'big' name and was wondering if any professionals/ people could give me their view on a student applying for a job from either university. I would like to hear your opinion! let me know the pros and cons of your experience with these universities!

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that you've received a scholarship at Carleton is nothing to sneeze at. In the grand scheme of your education, $4000 may not seem like a lot, but it can make a difference. You'll have to work less while being a student or it will mean that you'll have less student debt. Something else I've observed is that scholarships tend to snowball. Once you have one, it makes you a stronger candidate when you apply for others.

If you have nothing else to tip the balance, the scholarship would certainly sway me.

Both are great schools; you can't go wrong. I've known graduates from both. UOttawa is bilingual, which could be a factor depending on whether or not you speak French.

To be honest, all Accredited Engineering Programs at Canadian universities teach almost the same curriculum.

First thing you should consider is the commute to both schools, because remember that you will have early classes and you would need to get up early for them...

If that's not a problem, I would choose Carlton simply because of the scholarship money which adds up to 4 x 4000 = $16 000 which is quiet nice!

Also I know that uOttawa offers more scholarship money based on GPA, you might want to check with them again about any scholarship money.

Last edited:

What are the main differences between the civil engineering programs at University of Ottawa and Carleton University?

The main difference between the civil engineering programs at University of Ottawa and Carleton University is the focus of their curriculum. UOttawa's program has a stronger emphasis on sustainable design and environmental engineering, while Carleton's program has a stronger focus on structural engineering and transportation engineering.

Which program has a better reputation in the field of civil engineering?

Both University of Ottawa and Carleton University have strong reputations in the field of civil engineering. UOttawa is known for its cutting-edge research and collaboration with industry partners, while Carleton is known for its hands-on learning opportunities and strong connections to the industry.

What are the admission requirements for the civil engineering programs at UOttawa and Carleton?

The admission requirements for UOttawa and Carleton's civil engineering programs are similar. Both universities require a high school diploma with strong grades in math, physics, and chemistry. They also require a minimum grade in English and may require additional courses in calculus and/or computer science.

Are there co-op opportunities available for students in the civil engineering programs?

Both University of Ottawa and Carleton University offer co-op opportunities for students in their civil engineering programs. These co-op programs provide students with valuable work experience and help them develop important skills for their future careers.

What are the career prospects for graduates of the civil engineering programs at UOttawa and Carleton?

Graduates of the civil engineering programs at UOttawa and Carleton have strong career prospects. They can work in a variety of industries, including construction, transportation, environmental engineering, and more. The demand for civil engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, making it a promising career choice for students.