Register to reply

Why is it difficult to integrate x^x

by latyph
Tags: difficult, integrate
Share this thread:
latyph
Jun1-05, 08:16 AM
P: 8
I tried doing this but could not,why is it so?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
dextercioby
Jun1-05, 08:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,915
It's not difficult.Nobody thought of defining a special function to account for its antiderivative.

Daniel.
Zurtex
Jun1-05, 08:34 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,123
Because it can't be integrated in terms of elementary functions. Most functions are 'not easy' to integrate in this way.

HallsofIvy
Jun1-05, 09:26 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,503
Why is it difficult to integrate x^x

Or, to say the same thing that Dextercioby and Zurtex said, in different words, because there is no elementary function whose derivative is xx!
arildno
Jun1-05, 10:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
A better question would be:
Why is it simple to integrate f(x)=1?
abia ubong
Jun1-05, 11:51 AM
P: 70
i tried doin it ,but always get to a place i cant continue.who can help integrate [(x^x)(1+LOG[X])]^2.All help will be appreciated
arildno
Jun1-05, 12:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by abia ubong
i tried doin it ,but always get to a place i cant continue.who can help integrate [(x^x)(1+LOG[X])]^2.All help will be appreciated
You won't get any, since an anti-derivative of x^x is inexpressible in terms of elementary functions.
goldi
Jun1-05, 12:48 PM
P: 23
when i plugged it into the integrator of mathematica it gave it back as same...i dont know why it did not do computation.
Zurtex
Jun1-05, 01:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by goldi
when i plugged it into the integrator of mathematica it gave it back as same...i dont know why it did not do computation.
Because as said many times previously in this thread, it can not be integrated in terms of elementary functions.
goldi
Jun1-05, 01:11 PM
i understand that yeah...but even Mathematica couldn't post the solution in terms of complex functions or whatever high level function it ocntains...
there must be a solution to it....What it is?
Zurtex
Jun1-05, 01:13 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by goldi
i understand that yeah...but even Mathematica couldn't post the solution in terms of complex functions or whatever high level function it ocntains...
there must be a solution to it....What it is?
There are no special functions defined in general mathematics for the integral.

If you want a function that is the anti-derivative of xx then just define one and then you can study its properties.
matt grime
Jun1-05, 01:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
There is a solution it is the function F such that dF/dx is x^x. But we can't write it anymore nicely than that, and there is nothing surprising about it. Almost no functions have integrals that we can write out nicely and explicitly in some closed form. How many times must that be said in this thread? Shall we lock it now to stop yet another person having to say it?
goldi
Jun1-05, 01:56 PM
Sorry but i am such a big fool that yours terminology is not clear to me....Last time-Has its integral ever calculated ...or as ppl are saying that it has such a function as integral that has never been defined./so is research going on over this

i have a question......how can we integrate x*Sec(x)
i have tried this question than any other question ever.....
the point is that it was asked in my 12th class and when i plug it into Integrator i could not even understand the solution...
arildno
Jun1-05, 02:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Any particular definite integral of x^x can, of course be calculated to an arbitrary degree of accuracy by numerical techniques.
Jameson
Jun1-05, 03:16 PM
P: 787
To integrate x*Sec(x) I would use integration by parts, but in this case the tabular method will work nicely.

[tex]\int x\sec{x}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int udv = uv - \int vdu[/tex]

[tex]u = x[/tex]
[tex]dv = \sec{x}dx[/tex]

That should get you started.
dextercioby
Jun1-05, 05:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,915
I think you meant

[tex] dv=\sec x \ dx [/tex]

I'm not sure though...

Daniel.
Icebreaker
Jun1-05, 06:02 PM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by Zurtex
If you want a function that is the anti-derivative of xx then just define one and then you can study its properties.
Has it been done before? Any interesting properties?
Pyrrhus
Jun1-05, 06:46 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,277
Look for Liouville's Principle about integration in finite terms.

Register to reply