Integration from "Area Under Curve" Perspective: Explained

In summary: I am learning a lot from your discussion! In summary, the integral in question has a finite value of ##\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}## despite appearing to have infinite area under the curve due to the vertical asymptote at x = 1. This is because the graph of the function decreases faster than it goes up, similar to a convergent geometric series. This relationship between integrals and infinite series is also seen in the infinite Gaussian curve, where the area under the curve is equal to ##\sqrt{\pi}##.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
$$\int_\frac{1}{2}^1 \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx$$
I can calculate the value of the integration, it will be ##\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##

But if I draw the function and consider the area bounded by the curve and x-axis from x = 0.5 to x = 1, it seems that the area will be infinite because x = 1 is vertical asymptote.

Why can't I consider from "area under curve" perspective to calculate this integration? Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have an improper integral, you need to consider limits. Define$$I(a) = \int_{\frac{1}{2}}^a \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} = \left[ -\sqrt{1-x^2} \right]_{\frac{1}{2}}^{a} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} - \sqrt{1-a^2}$$Then take the limit$$\lim_{a \rightarrow 1} I(a) = \lim_{a\rightarrow 1} \left( \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} - \sqrt{1-a^2} \right) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$$

Likes sysprog and songoku
songoku said:
it seems that the area will be infinite because x = 1 is vertical asymptote.
As Hamlet said I know not "seems". The integral tells you that the area is in fact finite.

Likes Delta2 and songoku
Thank you very much etotheipi and Perok

Likes berkeman
songoku said:
Summary:: $$\int_\frac{1}{2}^1 \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx$$

I can calculate the value of the integration, it will be ##\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##

But if I draw the function and consider the area bounded by the curve and x-axis from x = 0.5 to x = 1, it seems that the area will be infinite because x = 1 is vertical asymptote.

Why can't I consider from "area under curve" perspective to calculate this integration? Thanks
Intuitively, the graph gets thin faster than it goes up. The result of the integration shows that the area is finite. That happens a lot.

Likes Delta2 and songoku
FactChecker said:
Intuitively, the graph gets thin faster than it goes up. The result of the integration shows that the area is finite. That happens a lot.
I always thought the area of such case would always be infinite. Now I think maybe the case is similar to sum to infinity of convergent geometric series.

Thank you very much FactChecker

Likes FactChecker
songoku said:
I always thought the area of such case would always be infinite. Now I think maybe the case is similar to sum to infinity of convergent geometric series.

Thank you very much FactChecker

Remember integrals are approximated above and below by infinite series. Here, make a substition ##u=1-x^2## (let's not worry about whether this calculation is actually valid), to get

$$\int_{3/4}^{0} \frac{-\frac{1}{2} du}{\sqrt{u}} $$
$$\frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{3/4} \frac{du}{\sqrt{u}}.$$

Now do the substition ##v=1/u##
$$\frac{1}{2} \int_{4/3}^{\infty} \sqrt{v} \frac{dv}{v^2}$$

This last integral is approximated by Riemann sums that look like (when bounding both from below and above) ##\sum \frac{1}{n^{3/2}}## and therefore it converges.

Likes songoku, lurflurf, FactChecker and 1 other person
songoku said:
Now I think maybe the case is similar to sum to infinity of convergent geometric series.
Exactly.

Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
Remember integrals are approximated above and below by infinite series. Here, make a substition ##u=1-x^2## (let's not worry about whether this calculation is actually valid), to get
It is valid but ##u=\sqrt{1-x^2}## is nice as well.

What infinite series are you bounding this integral with and why?

Likes songoku
lurflurf said:
It is valid but ##u=\sqrt{1-x^2}## is nice as well.

What infinite series are you bounding this integral with and why?

You can draw rectangles of width 1 above the graph of ##1/x^{3/2}## to show that if ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{3/2}}## converges, then so does ##\int_1^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^{3/2}} dx##. This is equivalent to the convergence of the integral in the original post. My point was that the op said something about how integrals converging feels like infinite sums converging, and to demonstrate how the convergence of the integral in this thread is literally equivalent to the convergence of an infinite series.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
One of the most amazing results in mathematics is that the area under the infinite Gaussian curve is: $$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} dx = \sqrt \pi$$

• Wow
Likes songoku, sysprog, pbuk and 1 other person
Thank you very much for all the help and explanation etotheipi, Perok, FactChecker, Office_Shredder, lurflurf

What is integration from an "Area Under Curve" perspective?

Integration from an "Area Under Curve" perspective is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a specific interval.

Why is integration from an "Area Under Curve" perspective important?

Integration from an "Area Under Curve" perspective is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems that involve continuous data. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the area under a curve between two specific points, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function. In other words, definite integration gives a numerical value, while indefinite integration gives a function.

How is integration from an "Area Under Curve" perspective calculated?

Integration from an "Area Under Curve" perspective is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations. This means that to find the area under a curve, we can take the antiderivative of the function and evaluate it at the upper and lower limits of the interval.

What are some real-world applications of integration from an "Area Under Curve" perspective?

Integration from an "Area Under Curve" perspective has many real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity, finding the total profit or loss of a business over a period of time, and determining the amount of medication in a patient's bloodstream over time.