Volume of revolution -- Why use this integral?

In summary, the chosen integral for this case is the brown volume in the diagram, which is calculated by adding up the blue shells. Each blue shell has a volume of 2πxe^-x dx, where x is the radius and e^-x is the height. The width dx represents the thickness of the shell. This method is also known as the "shell method" and it can be compared to the "washer method" by using different shapes to represent the volumes being added. It is important to understand both methods and practice using them to ensure a complete understanding of the concept.
opus
Gold Member
My question is, why is the circled integral the chosen integral for this case?
My thoughts are that we don't just use ##\int_0^1e^{-x}## because we need to make this two dimensional area into a three dimensional volume by doing 360 degrees of rotation. This would correspond to ##2πr##. ##2π## is a constant and can be brought out front so I see why the ##2π## is there.
My question is, the radius is just 1, so why is there an ##x## in the integrand?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 1.16.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 1.16.45 PM.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 484
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The radius of the shells is not 1. You're calculating the brown volume in your diagram by adding up the blue shells. Look at the blue shell. It is a cylindrical shell with height [itex] e^{-x}[/itex], width dx, and radius x. So its volume is [itex] 2 \pi x e^{-x} dx[/itex].

Likes opus and Delta2
Ok I'm almost there. So by shell, we're talking about the hockey puck shaped thing. What's the rectangle representing and why is the width dx? I understand what it means for a simple area under curve, but the rotation is throwing me off. I can see the height and radius reasoning.

Let me see if I can clean my question up.
If I look at this in terms of stacking the "hockey pucks" on top of each other, the height of each puck would be ##e^{-x}## and the radius would be ##x##. Then I multiply by 2π to get the full rotation. With this picture in my mind, the ##dx## is confusing me. To stack the pucks on top of each other, the heights would have to get smaller and smaller. In other words, ##dy##. But then looking at it this way, it would do be the height which is supposed to be ##e^{-x}##

opus said:
Ok I'm almost there. So by shell, we're talking about the hockey puck shaped thing. What's the rectangle representing and why is the width dx? I understand what it means for a simple area under curve, but the rotation is throwing me off. I can see the height and radius reasoning.

No, it's not a "hockey-puck shaped thing". When doing these volume integrals, that shape is usually called a "washer". The cylindrical shells you are integrating here are shaped like the wall of a soda can (without a top and bottom). See the attached sketches for "shells" vs "washers". You can do these problems either way as long as you are consistent. Try setting up your problem both ways and see if you get the same answer.

"washers":
Washer.png

"shells":
Shell.png

Attachments

• Washer.png
    Washer.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 615
  • Shell.png
    Shell.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 518
Likes opus
Thanks for the visuals. The top one makes sense to me. The shell method, not at all. The shell just looks like the washer but with a hole punched through it, so how can it account for the volume if it's hollow?

It has a volume. It is [itex] \pi (r2^2 - r1^2) h[/itex]. If the shell is thin, you can take the limit of the thickness dr = r2-r1 going to zero. Then the volume becomes [itex] 2 \pi h r dr[/itex]. You then build up a large number of concentric shells, like in the attached drawing:
sin1_shells.gif

Attachments

• sin1_shells.gif
    sin1_shells.gif
    6 KB · Views: 671
Likes opus
opus said:
The shell just looks like the washer but with a hole punched through it
A washer has a hole punched through it.

Last edited:
Likes opus
Ohhh ok. Thanks guys. I just had to let me brain stop thinking about it for a bit and then come back to it. So used to just thinking about 2 dimensional rectangles that I was having a hard time thinking 3 dimensionally like that.

opus said:
Ohhh ok. Thanks guys. I just had to let me brain stop thinking about it for a bit and then come back to it. So used to just thinking about 2 dimensional rectangles that I was having a hard time thinking 3 dimensionally like that.

if you think you get it now, I strongly suggest doing your volume calculation with both methods (shells and washers) and make sure you get the same answer. This will test if you really understand.

Likes opus
phyzguy said:
if you think you get it now, I strongly suggest doing your volume calculation with both methods (shells and washers) and make sure you get the same answer. This will test if you really understand.
I 100% agree. I tried this and didn't quite get the result that I had hoped, so I'm poking at it and watching some videos because I think I understand it, but can't explain it satisfactorily. Not really sure what question to ask so I'm doing some prodding to see if it comes to me how I'd like it to. I think I need to do a full start to finish on this thing because the text just glazed over it for an example to show how to integrate by parts, so I don't think it's intention was exactly to teach about shells and stuff. But now that I've started it, I want to understand how to do them.

Something that is very helpful with either method is to make two drawings -- the first drawing is the region in the plane that will be revolved. The second drawing is a three-D drawing of a typical washer or shell. @phyzguy's first drawing in post #5 is an example of what I'm talking about. It's very important to get a good visual idea of what you are doing. This is much more important than just memorizing some formulas.

Likes opus
Thanks Mark. Is there any kind of graphical software that can supplement this?

opus said:
Thanks Mark. Is there any kind of graphical software that can supplement this?
There probably is, but I don't use any software for these kinds of problems. To me it's just as quick to draw a couple of sketches and set up my integral based on them.

1. What is the volume of revolution and why is it important?

The volume of revolution is a mathematical concept that measures the space occupied by a three-dimensional shape when it is rotated around a certain axis. This integral is important because it allows us to calculate the volume of complex shapes that cannot be easily measured using traditional methods.

2. How is the volume of revolution calculated using an integral?

The volume of revolution is calculated by setting up an integral that represents the cross-sectional area of the shape as it is rotated around the axis of revolution. This integral is then evaluated using the limits of integration and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. What are the applications of using the volume of revolution integral?

The volume of revolution integral has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to calculate the volume of objects like pipes, tanks, and curved structures. It is also used in fluid mechanics to determine the volume of fluids in motion.

4. Can the volume of revolution be calculated for any shape?

Yes, the volume of revolution can be calculated for any shape as long as it has a defined axis of rotation. However, the integral may become more complex for irregular shapes and may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using the volume of revolution integral?

One limitation of using the volume of revolution integral is that it assumes the shape being rotated is continuous and has a defined axis of rotation. It may not accurately calculate the volume for shapes with discontinuities or multiple axes of rotation. Additionally, the integral may become more complex for irregular shapes, making it difficult to solve analytically.