Tags: 21st, century, challenges, physics
Share this thread:
quasar987
Oct7-05, 11:11 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,772
Suppose you're 20th century's Henri Poincarré and you have to give a speech about what the great challenges are for physicists of the 21st century, what would you talk about?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
Ivan Seeking
Oct7-05, 09:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...questions.html
quasar987
Oct7-05, 10:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,772
Mmh, that's good thx.

Nevertheless, which among these do you consider the most important?

Ivan Seeking
Oct8-05, 10:54 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Physics' challenges for the 21st century

I think the most important work going on right now is where medicine and quantum physics unite. We are possibly on the verge of re-defining what it means to be human. Many of the greatest afflictions suffered since Eve ate the apple [so to speak] could go the way of stone axes and mood rings. Based on what various experts have argued, I believe it possible that most disease could be eliminated within one hundred years. I also think that the aging process will be checked and life might be extended to 400 years. Artificial eyes and ears have already changed lives, and a few experts even claim that within ten years, with the daily application of a cream to the affected area, a lost arm or leg might be regrown. Also, a "bionic" leg or two is already found that has certain performance capabilities superior that of natural limbs, and the interface of semi conductors and brain tissue was managed long ago. Also noteworthy: In effect, in a totally connected world, artificial ESP and telekinesis are just around the corner.

Much of this hinges on the practical application of modern physics. So perhaps one of the greatest challenges of the 21st century is to make use of the physics of the 20th century.
extreme_machinations
Oct10-05, 07:40 AM
P: 54
wow ! another thread like this and that would complete my paper presentation
Crom!
Oct10-05, 08:10 AM
P: 6
I think the greatest challenge for any scientist (so, not just physicists) of the future is ethics (or getting around them.) We live in a Post Modernist world quickly becoming post- Post Modernist what ever that means...

Register to reply