"Big Bang" according to the 19th century poet ("Science-v-Poetry")

• Thread starter EdDa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Creation
EdDa
TL;DR Summary: the cosmology of Poe's "Eureka" vs "Genesis from the Spirit" of J.Slowacki

Polish poet Juliusz Słowacki [1809-1849] wrote a mystical prose poem (or a prayer) entitled "Genesis from the Spirit". If we omit the mystical parts in the poem and leave only the purely material, objective, physical ones, we ended up with the following description of the creation of the world :

...The Spirit... turned one point... of invisible space into a flash of Magnetic-Attractive Forces. And these turned into electric and lightning bolds - And they warmed up in the Spirit... You, Lord, forced him... to flash with destructive fire... You turned the Spirit... into a ball of fire and hung him on the abysses... And here... a circle spirits... he grabbed one handful of globes and swirled them around like a fiery rainbow... “

(see :
https://www.salon24.pl/u/edalward/1...ng-to-the-19th-century-polish-poet-j-slowacki for more details and references)

My questions:
- Isn't this the first such detailed description (and close to what we know today) of the "Big Bang" in world literature?
- Would anyone like to interpret this description from the point of view of modern physics? Do the stages of the creation of the world in the poem and the forces mentioned there correspond to the “Big Bang” scenario known to modern science? (I'm not a physicist myself!) ;

Thank you in advance

Ed

P.S.
According to experts on the subject, the writing process started in 1844 or 1843, took about two years and resulted in four versions of the poem (published in 1871). The American Adgar Allan Poe - practically the contemporary of the Polish poet - had an analogous, astonishing intuition (in his famous « Eureka » published in 1848 ).

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't sound like the big bang to me. Of course any aesthetic similarity to the big bang would have to be coincidental, since he was a poet and the big bang hadn't been hypothesized yet.

Likes mcastillo356
Woo woo.

• Haha
Likes berkeman, russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
It reads like a non-physicist asked a couple of physicists to speculate about the origins of the universe, didn't understand a thing about their ideas (which were probably way off base anyway, before Friedman, Slipher, Hubble et al), and strung together a poet's madlib from what he remembered. It has a couple of points in common with bad popularisations of big bang theory, but pretty much nothing with the correct version.

I'd tend to suspect pharmaceutical inspiration over physical, frankly.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes phinds, russ_watters and mcastillo356
Polish? Home of potato vodka? That might be the explanation.

• Haha
Likes phinds
Poets are part of a group that deal and reason in words. They believe that, if they read enough literary works, in enough different languages, they will gain an understanding of the concepts needed, to appreciate the complexity of the universe. Poets believe that they can express and understand the mysteries of the universe, by finding the right arrangement of words in their language.

For scientific analysis of physics, the only language in which the poet's belief holds is mathematics, a language rejected by the vast majority of poets. Physics is based on the solid rock of mathematics.

The poet in me cannot resist a quote: Matthew 24-27.
24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”

Likes phinds
Wooshka. Thread is paused for, um, "Moderation"...

This thread is inconsistent with the forum mission statement
Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community.
so it will remain closed.

Likes Bystander and phinds

What did 19th century poets think about the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory was not formulated until the 20th century, specifically in the 1920s, after significant advancements in astronomy and physics. Therefore, 19th century poets did not have knowledge of the Big Bang theory and consequently did not write or theorize about it in their works.

How did 19th century poets incorporate concepts of the universe in their poetry?

While 19th century poets did not know about the Big Bang theory, they often explored themes of the cosmos and the nature of the universe in a philosophical and metaphorical sense. Poets like Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson, for instance, used cosmic imagery to delve into themes of existence, spirituality, and humanity's place in the universe.

Were there any scientific theories of the universe that influenced 19th century poets?

Yes, 19th century poets were often influenced by the scientific discoveries of their time, though these were not related to the Big Bang. Theories such as Newtonian physics and the later developments in electromagnetic theory by Maxwell influenced the intellectual landscape. Poets occasionally reflected on these ideas indirectly through their contemplation of nature and the physical laws governing it.

How did the relationship between science and poetry manifest in the 19th century?

In the 19th century, the relationship between science and poetry was often one of fascination and inspiration. Poets were intrigued by scientific progress and sometimes used scientific developments as metaphors in their work. This era saw a growing interest in bridging the gap between the humanities and sciences, with poetry serving as a medium to explore and humanize scientific concepts.

Can you give an example of a 19th century poem that reflects on cosmic or universal themes?

One notable example is Walt Whitman's "When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer." In this poem, Whitman reflects on his experience listening to an astronomer. He contrasts the mechanical and distant nature of scientific analysis with a direct, emotional engagement with the beauty of the night sky, emphasizing a personal connection to the cosmos over scientific detachment.