Exploring Quantum Tunelling: Understanding its Probability and Existence

• Thread starter superweirdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum tunneling and how it is possible despite seeming to go against our physical laws. It is explained that quantum tunneling is a phenomenon where a quantum particle can enter a classically forbidden region and is not as strange as it may seem. The conversation also touches on the topic of the weak force and its role in radioactive decay. The idea of quantum tunneling violating physical laws is mentioned, but it is clarified that it is a misunderstanding and that modern science has a good understanding of the process.
superweirdo
Ok, I understand that it is about those negligable probabilities that end up happening, but b/c we don't live long enough to see these probability happen in our real life(big objects take longer time), we have seen that quantum tunelling exist on nanoscopic level. Now, what I don't understand is that how is it possible? I know it has been proven, and makes sense by probability but still. I guess it just bothers me to see something happening that is not supported by our physical laws. I believe everything happens for a reason(causuality) but this counters it.

Physics news on Phys.org
superweirdo said:
I guess it just bothers me to see something happening that is not supported by our physical laws.
Who said tunneling was not supported by physical laws? If it isn't, semiconductors and scanning tunneling microscopes would be something out of science fiction.

then could you explain to me how is it possible for me to jump here and vanish and go inside a black hole?

superweirdo said:
then could you explain to me how is it possible for me to jump here and vanish and go inside a black hole?

are you sure you want to do that? , actually quantum tunneling is a phenomena in which a quantum particle can enter a classically forbidden region , and this isn't as weird as it seems to you , infact it has been already put to use in tunneling microscopes with high results.
You can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunneling

That was a good read, Zap.

Yeah, that zap post got me, thanks a lot guys

superweirdo said:

That's not quantum tunneling, that's quantum teleportation! :smile:

superweirdo said:
It would be possible for you to jump over classical barriers if you were a quantum particle. I.e., a particle that obeys rule of quantum mechanics and doesn't care about classical mechanics.
Quantum mechanics, in contra to classical mechanics says that any waveform of any particle may go through barriers that classical particle with same properties can't go through.
So, yes, this effect is described by laws of QM.

Last edited:
Chipset said:
It would be possible for you to jump over classical barriers if you were a quantum particle.
I am not sure this is really necessary. I suspect theoretically you can jump over a classical barrier having lesser kinetic energy than the potential energy your mass would have at the top of the barrier. In fact, in the course of a high jump you can bend over the barrier in such a way that your center of gravity will be outside of your body and pass under the barrier.

That's a nice way of putting it, akhmeteli.

I thought this "Quantum Tunneling on your Kitchen table" looked interesting. I don't know if it's genuine though.

http://www.altair.org/Qtunnel.html

But anyhow, IMHO quantum tunneling is only weird if you think of things like electrons as billiard-ball particles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's an interesting site you listed, Farsight. You mentioned that you are not sure of its genuiness, so I hope that others can jump in and clarify that aspect.

I'm not too sure about that site. Someone with more knowledge will have to look at it. For one thing, it even says that quantum physics "superceded" the physics of einstein; never mind that Einstein was one of the most important contributors to quantum theory in the beginning of the 20th century.

The weak force

Superwierdo, you are asking about the weak force. That is the force that causes atoms to decay. You see, certain atoms know as isotopes, are radioactive because they contain one or two less neutrons or one or two more protons then there stable counterparts. If you look at the periodic table, you will find that each element has a mass number. This is the total number of protons and neutrons in each atom. Carbon, for example, has a mass number of twelve, while there is an isotope known as carbon-14 which is used in carbon dating.
Now the nuclei of non-radioactive atoms are held together by the strong force. But when the atom is missing neutrons or in excess of protons then the strong force breaks down and the protons, due to their like charges, repel. It is not the protons repelling which causes the nuclei to dissolve slowly, it is the replacing of the strong force with the weak force.

But where is the weak force? All I see is repulsion.

Quantum tunneling and the weak force

I don't know exactly where the weak force comes from. I've never read anything that has the answer. I don't think modern science has found a way to accurately describe it.

baryon said:
I don't know exactly where the weak force comes from. I've never read anything that has the answer. I don't think modern science has found a way to accurately describe it.

No, I thnk it was rather strange that you introduced the "weak force" in this thread. I'm not sure what you were trying to explain, even after re-reading your earlier post.

There there have been description of alpha decay via the tunneling through the electrostatic potential barrier. However, this doesn't mean that all radioactive decay is a governed by such a process. The weak interaction is much more complex and "powerful" than this. And yes, "modern science" does know a lot about this process. We may not know all of it yet, but the same can be said about almost anything. Still, we know that the weak interaction can have a CP-violating component, and other characteristics, enough that we have a consistent electroweak description.

Zz.

So sorry. won't do it again. You're right, it's not pertinent.

superweirdo said:
not supported by our physical laws... counters it.

Just remembered why I thought about it though

I know this is kind of offtopic but since we are already there and my purpose is solved in this thread, could someone explain to me what is weak force?(more than that it causes alpha decay)

1. What is quantum tunnelling?

Quantum tunnelling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum tunnelling work?

Quantum tunnelling occurs when a particle approaches a potential barrier and has a small probability of appearing on the other side of the barrier due to its wave-like nature. This probability is described by the Schrodinger equation and can be calculated using quantum mechanical principles.

3. What is the role of probability in quantum tunnelling?

Probability is essential in understanding and predicting quantum tunnelling. The probability of a particle appearing on the other side of the potential barrier is determined by its wave function, which describes the probability amplitude of the particle being in a particular location. The wave function is then used to calculate the probability of the particle tunnelling through the barrier.

4. Is quantum tunnelling a real phenomenon?

Yes, quantum tunnelling is a real phenomenon that has been observed in various experiments. It is a crucial aspect of quantum mechanics and has many practical applications, such as in scanning tunneling microscopes and nuclear fusion reactions.

5. How does the probability of quantum tunnelling change with different potential barriers?

The probability of quantum tunnelling is affected by the height and width of the potential barrier. A higher and wider barrier will result in a lower probability of tunnelling, while a lower and narrower barrier will lead to a higher probability. This relationship can be mathematically described by the Schrodinger equation and is crucial in understanding and predicting quantum tunnelling phenomena.