Toshiba Blue Screen Error: Need Help Fixing on A105-S4114 Notebook

• Thread starter Quadruple Bypass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screen
In summary: H:chown -R nobody:nobody H:chmod -R g-rwx,o-rwx H:Then finally, from the windows box, drag and drop the shared folder from the linux box onto the windows box. You're done!
Quadruple Bypass
blue screen - need help :( please

i have a toshiba a105-s4114 notebook. on sunday night the blue screen came up after the computer froze. it pretty much just boots, says 'sorry for the inconvience...etc', goes to windows xp boot screen, then a while later a quick blue screen and reboots. toshiba tech said i need to reformat my hard drive because windows is corrupted. i asked them if its a memory problem, and they said well if reformatting doesn't work, then yes.

i have a lot of important stuff (pics of family, school notes, etc) on this computer, reformatting is my absolute last option, but if it turns out its not a memory problem, and i do have to reformat, is there a way i can still somehow copy my stuff, then reformat and get it all back?

bye the way, safe mode, last known good configuration, etc. all don't work.

any help appreciated

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well a BSoD is caused by many factors - incorrectly written device drivers, corrupt system files, faulty memory, poor memory management is applications, etc. Check this thread for memory issues:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=175290

But in your cause if you didn't make any significant changes to your system, then it my just be some corrupt system files. The first thing you should do is get your windows install disk and do an automatic recovery. If that fails then check for memory problems; either via software or physically swapping in and out memory modules.
If you absolutely must format your hard drive, you can recover your data by several methods:
1) Physically take out the hard drive and place it on another machine; not as the primary hard disk; use one of those converters that allows you to add a laptop hard drive via the usb/firewire port. If you can't get hold of such a device, then:
2) Use a linux liveCD such as knoppix. You can boot to this using your potentially damaged machine. It won't need the hard drive as it loads into the RAM. Knoppix has good support for hardware, so you'll most likely get a network connection up and running. You can view your files on the hard drive and copy them to some other network machine. No network connection; no problem. You can also copy to a usb device.
If you need more specific details in doing 2) let us know.

Have you uninstalled any programs lately? If so, try reinstalling them. The uninstallation may remove some important files causing the blue screen.

It may be nice to backup your important files anyway. An affordable portable hdd or a link cable to a desktop pc with a large hdd does the job. You cannot trust any hdd 100%.

I had the exact same problem with my Toshiba 5105-S501 a couple years ago and ended up installing Ubuntu and losing all my files. I'd recommend trying ranger's suggestions (I wish I had thought of them :grumpy: ...).

ranger said:
2) Use a linux liveCD such as knoppix. You can boot to this using your potentially damaged machine. It won't need the hard drive as it loads into the RAM. Knoppix has good support for hardware, so you'll most likely get a network connection up and running. You can view your files on the hard drive and copy them to some other network machine. No network connection; no problem. You can also copy to a usb device.
If you need more specific details in doing 2) let us know.
ok, I am doing option number 2, so i might need help. i just burned the CD and have booted up with it. now i need help with what to do. i can see my harddrive, now i just need to know how to send it all to another computer. or save it somehow

Last edited:
Quadruple Bypass said:
ok, I am doing option number 2, so i might need help. i just burned the CD and have booted up with it. now i need help with what to do. i can see my harddrive, now i just need to know how to send it all to another computer. or save it somehow
First establish that you have an network connection, either try loading a webpage, pinging another machine, or run ifconfig from the command line to see if you have an IP address.

Here is a nice little tutorial:
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/index32.html#smb

Below is a little write-up I did on another linux forum, but its command line based and should be distro independent.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Now let's assume that you wanted to share drive H: on your windows box. First do the following from the windows command prompt;
Code:
net share ext250G=H:
What this does is that it enables sharing for drive H: but under the share name ext250G.
Also, let's assume that the hostname of the windows box is WinComp.Back on the linux box, from the command line, we need to verify that samba can see the share, so we run the following command:
Code:
smbclient -L \\WinComp
This just lists the shares on machine WinComp. Here is a sample of my output:
Code:

Code:
smbclient -L \\WinComp
Password: 
Domain=[WinComp] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
        ext250G         Disk      
        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
        C$              Disk      Default share
Domain=[WinComp] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
Please note, that if you do not know what the password is, after running the above command, there probably isn't any Smiley As you can see, the ext250G share is listed.

The final step is to mount the share. We use the following command to do that [this assumes that mount point /home/dave/windows exists]. Since this is a mount command, you need to run it as root:

Code:
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator //WinComp/ext250G /home/dave/windows

This would mount the ext250G share, hosted by WinComp, on to mount point /home/dave/windows. In addition to this, notice that the username is set to administrator, which is what I recommended you use for FuseSmbTool. It will prompt you for a password, but this time, you enter your root password. The share should now be accessible in the directory /home/dave/windows.

Please note that default permissions set by the above command are 755. If you wish to modify these permissions, just add some extra parameters to the mount command:

Code:
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  //WinComp/ext250G  /home/dave/windows
Modify the file_mode and dir_mode parameters to change the permissions.

hmmm, i can't connect to the internet for some reason, both wireless and wired arent working. its not detecting them

thanks for the help ranger :biggrin:

its not able to recogize my network card for some reason, both the ethernet and wireless. I've been searching for ways to fix it, but can't find the right answer so far

lol turns out i was using a version that was made in 2006 (or 04). so i went to the 07 version and it connects to the internet. woohoo! now to try sending things

so close, now I am only a password away. i left it blank and then nothing came up. also during the password guessing phase, my hard drive on the laptop became unaccessable

Last edited:
Thats good news that you got the network to run, QB.
Have you tried what I posted in post #6? Either the external website or my little how-to?
so close, now I am only a password away
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

ranger said:
Thats good news that you got the network to run, QB.
Have you tried what I posted in post #6? Either the external website or my little how-to?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
EDIT: i have mounted sucessfully, so far it seems to have worked, ill get back to you though. :D

Last edited:

1. What is a blue screen?

A blue screen, also known as the "blue screen of death" or BSOD, is an error screen that appears on a computer when it encounters a critical error. It is typically shown in blue with white text and indicates that the computer has encountered a problem and needs to be restarted.

2. Why does a blue screen occur?

A blue screen can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as hardware or software issues, corrupted system files, or faulty drivers. It is usually a result of a critical error that the operating system cannot recover from, and as a safety measure, the system shuts down to prevent further damage.

3. How can I fix a blue screen?

The first step to fixing a blue screen is to restart the computer. If the blue screen continues to appear, you can try booting into safe mode to troubleshoot the issue. Other solutions include updating drivers, performing system restores, or reinstalling the operating system. It is always recommended to seek professional help if you are not comfortable troubleshooting the issue on your own.

4. Can a blue screen damage my computer?

In most cases, a blue screen will not cause permanent damage to your computer. It is a safety measure to prevent further damage, and once the issue is resolved, the computer should function normally. However, if the blue screen is caused by hardware failure, it is possible that the hardware may need to be replaced.

5. How can I prevent blue screens from happening?

To prevent blue screens, it is important to keep your computer's hardware and software up to date. Regularly updating drivers, running virus scans, and performing system maintenance can help prevent errors. It is also important to avoid installing untrustworthy or incompatible software that may cause conflicts with your system.