What is the connection between DeSitter group SO(4,1) and Minkowski spacetime?

In summary: This is another thread on this general subject:In summary, some of us need to get more familiar with the DeSitter group SO(4,1) in order to discuss and learn about it.
OK, spiffy. I'm liking your rolling sphere example more and more, and looking forward (OK, maybe impatiently) to seeing it come together. We can describe the rolling of the sphere locally with a connection. The "without slipping or twisting" restriction is what GR aficionados think of as "parallel transport." If a point on the sphere is labeled r, and written in good old cartesian 3-space, relative to the sphere's center, as a column vector, then any rotation of the sphere moves this to the new point,
[tex]
r' = g r
[/tex]
with g an element of the rotation group, G=SO(3), represented as a matrix. (phew, I got the O right that time) Of course, we could also do a rotation by writing r as a row vector, and operating with g from the right, or by writing r as a quaternion and operating with g as [itex]g r g^-[/itex] (but I don't think it will matter). Adopting the left acting representation, the connection is a 1-form over the surface, M, valued in the Lie algebra of G,
[tex]
\underrightarrow{w} \in \underrightarrow{Lie(G)} = \underrightarrow{so(3)}
[/tex]
Now, there are two ways clear to me to build this into a fiber bundle picture. The first is to use the sphere, [itex]S^2 = SO(3)/SO(2)[/itex], as the typical fiber for a bundle that is locally [itex]M \times S^2 [/itex]. The "covariant derivative" of a "[itex]S^2[/itex] valued field" is
[tex]
\underrightarrow{\nabla} r(x) = \underrightarrow{\partial} r + \underrightarrow{w} r
[/tex]
and a sphere position is parallel transported (rolled without slipping or twisting) along a path with velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] over the surface iff
[tex]
0 = \vec{v}\underrightarrow{\nabla} r = \frac{d}{d t} r + \vec{v} \underrightarrow{w} r
[/tex]
The second way to choose a fiber bundle is to see that we can choose some arbitrary starting position on the sphere, and write any position using a SO(3) group element,
[tex]
r(x) = g(x) r_0
[/tex]
This way, parallel transport along a path happens iff
[tex]
\frac{d}{d t} g(x(t)) = - \vec{v} \underrightarrow{w} g
[/tex]
with the SAME connection, [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex]. This is called the principle bundle associated to [itex]M \times S^2[/itex], locally [itex]Q = M \times SO(3)[/itex] -- "associated" because it has the same connection (technically, the same structure group, G), and "principle" because the structure group and fiber are the same.

I went ahead and worked out what this connection should be for the sphere rolling over a flat 2D surface:
[tex]
\underrightarrow{w} = \underrightarrow{dx^1} \frac{1}{R} T_2 - \underrightarrow{dx^2} \frac{1}{R} T_1
[/tex]
And computed its curvature.

Now, John Baez is promising to somehow relate this to a Cartan connection, [itex]\underrightarrow{\omega}[/itex], which is a 1-form over the ENTIRE space of a different bundle, locally [itex]P = M \times SO(2)[/itex], and still valued in the so(3) Lie algebra. In terms of the various basis, this will be able to be written as:
[tex]
\underrightarrow{\omega} = \underrightarrow{dx^1} \omega_1{}^A T_A + \underrightarrow{dx^2} \omega_2{}^A T_A + \underrightarrow{d\theta} \omega_3{}^A T_A
[/tex]
And have to satisfy some restrictions.

My pedantic self will be especially happy when I see exactly how [itex]\underrightarrow{\omega}[/itex] relates to [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex].

And I can see another reason why this Cartan connection construction is especially pretty. When one plays around with the geometry of a Lie group, G, one of the best things to build and work with is Cartan's 1-form,
[tex]
\underrightarrow{W} = g^- \underrightarrow{\partial} g \in \underrightarrow{Lie(G)}
[/tex]
which is a 1-form over the entire group manifold. From the definition, its curvature vanishes. But what if this 1-form over the group manifold were a little different, and some of its curvature wasn't necessarily zero? Say, if the part of the curvature valued in the Lie algebra of some subgroup, H, could be nonzero, while the rest of the curvature was zero. I think this would then be a Cartan connection. And this point of view may tie together how [itex]\underrightarrow{\omega}[/itex] relates to [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex]. But, I'm not sure.

I really am eager to see how John fits all this together! Hmm, maybe I should promise to pay him twice as much... Wait, of course, I can get him to work for me if I can figure out his True Name.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like maybe
[tex]
Q = M \times G = (M \times H) \times G/H = P \times G/H
[/tex]
would be consistent with [itex]\underrightarrow{\omega}[/itex] being the Cartan connection over P. But I'm not sure exactly how to pull that off.

I hope nobody minds -- I've deleted two of my previous posts so I can say the same thing in a better and more cohesive way!

john baez said:
Since when do natural transformations get to masquerade as functors?
This is actually something that bothered me when I was first learning this stuff, but had forgotten about until marcus's answer. In fact, it made me want to think of natural transformations as some sort of functor!

But in some sence, a natural transformation is really just a pair of functors (source and target), with some extra information thrown in! Composition of functors is just a special case of horizontal composition of natural transformations, which makes it even easier for natural transformations to masquerade as functors.

In our case, we have a natural transformation from the identity, which makes the masquerade complete.

So, for our particular example of a gauge transformation, a natural transformation T:1 ==> F can act on any connection by horizontal composition! The connection C gets turned into the connection CF, and we even have the natural transformation CT:C ==> CF which tells us how it's done!

The funny thing is that in this situation, F uniquely determines T. I still haven't figured out the principle at work here. I could even be seriously mixed up.
But this isn't quite true in the general case. If g is something in the center of our group (that's not the identity), then translating all of the fibers by g gives us a nontrivial natural transformation T:1 ==> 1.

But I guess in the case of interest, the center is trivial, so we don't have this problem. There's probably an easy proof that T is unique in this case, but I don't see it yet.

Last edited:
got 'em all

Hurkyl said:

M has dimension 2, because it's a surface in 3-space.
SO(2) has dimension 1, because it's the circle.
S^2 has dimension 2, because it's a sphere.
SO(3) has dimension 3, because S^2 = SO(3) / SO(2), and 2 = 3 - 1
P has dimension 3, because P = M x SO(2), and 3 = 2 + 1
Q has dimension 5, because Q = M x SO(3), and 5 = 2 + 3

The only other interesting connection I see is that P and SO(3) have the same dimension. And that will be true in the general case, because we always want the thing we're rolling around on M to have the same dimension as M!

Yes, you got 'em all! - though you mixed up P and Q, so I fixed that in the quoted text above. You got to mind your P's and Q's... :tongue2:

Particularly important are the relations that hold in general, whenever we're doing Cartan geometry. There are basically four of them:

dim(G/H) = dim(G) - dim(H)

is just a fact about the quotient of a Lie group by a subgroup. (In our example G = SO(3), H = SO(2) and G/H = [tex]S^2[/tex].)

dim(Q) = dim(M) + dim(G)

follows because Q is a G-bundle over M, and similarly

dim(P) = dim(M) + dim(H)

because P is an H-bundle over M. The special thing about Cartan geometry is

dim(M) = dim(G/H)

since we want M to have "tangent G/H's" - in our example, our surface M has "tangent spheres".

Given the first three equations, the last one is equivalent to

dim(P) = dim(G)

which is the way you expressed it.

By the way, folks - tomorrow morning I'm going to http://www.chinavista.com/suzhou/home.html" for three days, to see the gardens and canals... so I won't be posting until I get back. Don't worry, I'm eager to return to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
garrett said:
OK, spiffy. I'm liking your rolling sphere example more and more, and looking forward (OK, maybe impatiently) to seeing it come together.

Me too! As I'm explaining this, I'm noticing various things I didn't understand as well as I thought... but this is why I became a math teacher in the first place: so I'd have an excuse to learn the darn stuff! Anyway, I think it will all fit together quite nicely pretty soon.

Let me drag out that old definition of "Cartan geometry" and see where we are:

A Cartan geometry consists of the following. A smooth manifold M, a Lie group H having Lie algebra Lie(H), a principal H-bundle P on M, a Lie group G with Lie algebra Lie(G) containing H as a subgroup, and a "Cartan connection". A Cartan connection is a Lie(G)-valued 1-form w on P satisfying:

1. w is a linear isomorphism from the tangent space of P to Lie(G)

2. [tex]R(h)^* w = Ad(h^{-1}) w[/tex] for all h in H

3. w(X+) = X for all X in Lie(H).

where X+ is the vector field on P corresponding to the Lie algebra element X in Lie(H), and [tex]R(h)^*[/tex] says how an element h of H acts on 1-forms on P.

Naturally the scary-looking equations 2 and 3 will be the very last things we'll try to understand. As I tell my calculus students, it's always good to start with the easiest part of a math problem and slowly work your way to the hard part - because if you're lucky, a disaster might strike, killing you before you ever get to the hard part. We'll follow that important principle here.

But, the stuff on the top should make lots of sense now:

A smooth manifold M, a Lie group H having Lie algebra Lie(H), a principal H-bundle P on M, a Lie group G with Lie algebra Lie(G) containing H as a subgroup, ...

In our favorite example, M is our surface in 3-space, G is the 3d rotation group SO(3), H is the subgroup SO(2), G/H is the sphere, and P is the space of all ways of placing the sphere on our surface so its south pole touches the surface!

The general definition just generalizes the heck out of this.

Clearly P is the trickiest ingredient so far. We'll see why it's important in just a second.

So, now we're ready for the star of the show: the Lie(G)-valued 1-form on P, which I'm calling w! :!)

For those who aren't up on their Lie(G)-valued 1-forms, this may require some preparation.

A 1-form on a manifold is a gadget that eats tangent vectors and spits out numbers in a linear way. A vector-valued 1-form eats tangent vectors and spits out some other sort of vectors in a linear way. In our example, Lie(G) is the vector space of infinitesimal rotations - folks normally just call it [tex]R^3[/tex], but since G = SO(3) we should call it so(3), the Lie algebra of SO(3).

So, w eats tangent vectors on P and spits out infinitesimal rotations.

What's the point? If you know how to roll a ball around on a surface, I claim you actually know a linear map that eats tangent vectors to P and spits out infinitesimal rotations.

In other words, I claim that you can guess how a tiny motion of a point on P gives a tiny rotation. Can anyone here guess it?

(I like the word "tiny" because it's less scary than "infinitesimal". It suggests a cute little quantity that's getting ready to approach zero, so we can take a limit, as in calculus. Why in the world did people pick a scary, enormously long word like infinitesimal to mean "tiny"? That was just bad PR. :tongue:)

Of course to do this you have to really remember what P is!

To see if you're on the right track, it's worth looking at clause 1:

1. w is a linear isomorphism from the tangent space of P to Lie(G).

In other words, w is one-to-one and onto, so it has an inverse!

So, if you guess w correctly, you'll see you also know how a tiny rotation yields a tiny motion of a point on P!

I think I'll stop here, eat dinner, go to bed and go to Suzhou next morning. By the time I'm back, I bet everyone will understand this w guy, and we'll be ready to see why it satisfies clauses 2 and 3!

Last edited:
w=1 may be a solution.
One arc-second of rotation should yield one arc-second of movement.
One arc-nano-second of rotation should yield one arc-nano-second of movement.

The concept "infinitesimal" probably better correlates as the inverse of the Georg Cantor demonstration that there exist more than one degree of infinity.
http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Biographies/Cantor.html

john baez said:
In our favorite example, M is our surface in 3-space, G is the 3d rotation group SO(3), H is the subgroup SO(2), G/H is the sphere, and P is the space of all ways of placing the sphere on our surface so its south pole touches the surface!

So, now we're ready for the star of the show: the Lie(G)-valued 1-form on P, which I'm calling w! :!)
In our example, Lie(G) is the vector space of infinitesimal rotations - folks normally just call it [tex]R^3[/tex], but since G = SO(3) we should call it so(3), the Lie algebra of SO(3).

So, w eats tangent vectors on P and spits out infinitesimal rotations.

What's the point? If you know how to roll a ball around on a surface, I claim you actually know a linear map that eats tangent vectors to P and spits out infinitesimal rotations.

In other words, I claim that you can guess how a tiny motion of a point on P gives a tiny rotation. Can anyone here guess it?

To see if you're on the right track, it's worth looking at clause 1:
...In other words, w is one-to-one and onto, so it has an inverse!

So, if you guess w correctly, you'll see you also know how a tiny rotation yields a tiny motion of a point on P!

thanks for leaving us something to think about. Hope you all enjoyed Suzhou. I've was fascinated by Marco Polo's description of Hongzhou (you may also visit?)---he was impressed that if you had some free time you could rent a boat and take a picnic lunch and a party of friends out on the lake or the canals---and if you didnt happen to have a picnic lunch and ladies with you then you could rent a boat that was ALREADY PROVISIONED with both. I think Suzhou is known as China's "Venice" but IIRC Hongzhou was Polo's favorite. Unless I'm dreaming he also said that those 13th century Hongzhou merchants were so rich that they burned ornamentally carved logs in the fireplace.

this P is a PRINCIPAL BUNDLE with the circle group, so I picture the fibers as circles over points in the base manifold M, and one could take a local trivialization and look at the tangent space. A tangent vector would consist of a tiny bit of motion on the floor (M) and a tiny bit of turning.

Naively it wouldn't matter for such small things which you did first so you could imagine it as a tiny turn followed by a tiny budge in a certain direction

this has to be mapped linear isometrically to so(3) the infinitesimal rotations, but I picture them as the same thing: a tiny turn around the axis where you are, and a tiny roll in a certain direction.

so at the moment this w thing, the linear map between tangentspace P and so(3), looks to me remarkably like a natural identification. but I could be wrong and would feel much better if someone else confirms this-----maybe Dcase already has (I didnt study and figure out his notation with complete certainty) or maybe Hurkyl or selfAdjoint will kindly step in.

Last edited:
a paper on this subject

Hi!

Interesting conversation you all have been having here. This is a subject very near to my heart (i.e. my thesis):!) , and I'd love to join in! But I can't really, because I'm too busy trying to finish up a paper on this stuff before my advisor gives away all of my secrets about the connection (pardon the pun) between MacDowell-Mansouri gravity and Cartan geometry! This paper has been in the works for some time, and might already be out by now if I hadn't gotten tied up finishing a little project on http://math.ucr.edu/~derek/pform/pform_cqg.pdf first. Hopefully very soon, though, the paper will appear on the arXiv, and there will be a more formal place to read about the geometrical foundations of MacDowell-Mansouri gravity. Those of you who have been following this thread will recognize a bunch of the stuff I talk about in the paper. I even talk about what has become the favorite example here as well---the sphere rolling on a surface:
http://math.ucr.edu/~derek/spheres.gif (I tried embedding this picture, but the IMG commands seem to be turned off.)

It's nice to see Garrett is still thinking about this stuff... and that John is getting him to come around to the geometric side. Garrett and I were trying to talk about MacDowell-Mansouri about a year ago or so, but we didn't seem to communicate very well about it at that point---probably because I like Lie groups and geometry, while he likes Clifford algebras and writing funky little arrows over and under everything in sight:
[tex]
\underrightarrow{W} = g^- \underrightarrow{\partial} g \in \underrightarrow{Lie(G)}
[/tex] :rofl:
We'll have to talk more sometime, Garrett.

marcus said:
this P is a PRINCIPAL BUNDLE with the circle group, so I picture the fibers as circles over points in the base manifold M, and one could take a local trivialization and look at the tangent space. A tangent vector would consist of a tiny bit of motion on the floor (M) and a tiny bit of turning.

Naively it wouldn't matter for such small things which you did first so you could imagine it as a tiny turn followed by a tiny budge in a certain direction

this has to be mapped linear isometrically to so(3) the infinitesimal rotations, but I picture them as the same thing: a tiny turn around the axis where you are, and a tiny roll in a certain direction.

Sounds to me like Marcus is on just the right track here. I don't want to give too much away before my paper comes out, but let me say that another interesting example to think about from this perspective is an ISO(2)/SO(2) connection. I'll let you think about the details here... I need to get back to writing!

-DeReK

Attachments

• spheres.gif
    spheres.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 548
Yay MacDowell-Mansouri! Come on Cartan!
:smile:
looking forward to seeing that thesis!

thanks for posting news and the gif picture.

Hi Derek, good to see you on physics forums!
derekwise said:
I'd love to join in! But I can't really, because I'm too busy trying to finish up a paper on this stuff before my advisor gives away all of my secrets
Well, you probably shouldn't follow my example, but I've always thought scientific "secrets" are best when shared as much as possible (without annoying people). It is important to get papers out, so you have a technical reference to point to and say "I did it here" -- but the thing is... not many people read those unless you're either already famous or have been talking with others about your ideas. I think openness generates interest, and the widest readership for your work. It kind of saddens me when physicists clam up about what they're working on. Seems like not as much fun, too. I do understand the desire for "priority" -- but with the net changing the world as it has, I'm not sure getting ink out on dead tree establishes priority more effectively than describing your work on an open forum.

You should, of course, heed the advice of your advisor -- but if he says it's OK, I'd love to hear your thinking on Cartan geometry and MM gravity. Especially since he seems pretty darn busy, and you might have fun with the rapid exchange possible here on PF.
This paper has been in the works for some time, [...] Hopefully very soon, though, the paper will appear on the arXiv, and there will be a more formal place to read about the geometrical foundations of MacDowell-Mansouri gravity.
I certainly look forward to reading it.
It's nice to see Garrett is still thinking about this stuff...
What's that expression? "Like a dog with a bone"? Once I think something's interesting and physically relevant, I don't let go until I've tracked down every implication and possibility. Plus, well, I'm slow. ;)
and that John is getting him to come around to the geometric side.
Sheesh, you guys are like playground kids egging on a fight. I love geometry! As far as I can tell, there's total agreement that one needs to understand MM from the perspective of a global geometric construction and with a local algebraic framework. I guess the perceived conflict arose from me expressing my opinion that learning things starting from the algebraic side is easier.
Garrett and I were trying to talk about MacDowell-Mansouri about a year ago or so, but we didn't seem to communicate very well about it at that point
I remember I enjoyed our brief exchange, but I don't remember that we talked much. I would have like to talk more. Especially about what you were doing. I remember I sent you a copy of the paper I was working on and did get some good feedback. And that was appreciated. But yah, our correspondence didn't take off. Perhaps it was the lack of TeX in email that killed it? Something they've got working here. :)
---probably because I like Lie groups and geometry, while he likes Clifford algebras and writing funky little arrows over and under everything in sight:
[tex]
[/tex]
Ooh, how it warms my heart to see little arrows, even sarcastically. I guess as a bit of an eccentric I feel compelled to use my own notation. On the practical side, once one gets rid of indices it's too easy to loose track of which bundles a geometric object is valued in -- thus the arrows, to remind me.

I'd go so far as to say I love Lie groups. :) I just don't see how one can fully understand them without Lie algebra. And a Clifford algebra is just a Lie algebra (having an antisymmetric product (the Lie bracket)) that also has a symmetric product, and is great for describing rotations. Since you like Lie groups, maybe you would enjoy the fun we've been having over in this introductory thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124233
So I guess it's just that you don't like my arrows. ;) If I had to write "\underrightarrow" for each one, instead of "\f" like I do on my wiki, I wouldn't like them either.
We'll have to talk more sometime, Garrett.
Would love to! If you'd like to talk in person, I'll be in Newport Beach the last two weeks of September -- just a short drive for me up to Riverside. I'm actually here now, but I'm heading to Burning Man for a week and then hopping around the bay area.

But talking here on PF is good too.

but let me say that another interesting example to think about from this perspective is an ISO(2)/SO(2) connection.
Ahh, your thesis appears to have come from a SPR post:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/spr/2000-01/msg0021182.html
:rofl:
I'll let you think about the details here... I need to get back to writing!
OK, don't want to hinder you -- but I'm certainly happy to talk whenever you feel like it. This stuff is supposed to be fun and somewhat social you know. :)

This post seems light on physics -- so, maybe jumping the gun, I'll put out my biggest question on MM:
"Why is the MM action what it is? (Besides the anthropish reason that it's what it needs to be to reproduce GR.)"

That's a question on the far horizon... for the mean time, I'd love to hear more from you or JB on Cartan geometry. It's something I got the feeling I liked from skimming through Sharpe's book, but I didn't fully understand it, and would like to.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm back from the http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/diary/suzhou/suzhou-master-of-nets-1.jpg" , and back from a near-death experience with my laptop! I'll post more soon...

garrett said:
It kind of saddens me when physicists clam up about what they're working on. Seems like not as much fun, too. I do understand the desire for "priority" -- but with the net changing the world as it has, I'm not sure getting ink out on dead tree establishes priority more effectively than describing your work on an open forum.

Surely Derek doesn't think getting his work published on paper is relevant. These days in math and physics, it's putting stuff on the arXiv that proves to everyone that you've done it, and makes everyone able to read it. Publishing in a journal is also important, but only for getting jobs and promotions - it's a way of proving that your ideas are accepted by your peers.

You should, of course, heed the advice of your advisor -- but if he says it's OK, I'd love to hear your thinking on Cartan geometry and MM gravity.

Derek's advisor is an old guy who feels no qualms about spilling the beans - he has tenure, he has no higher job ambitions, he just likes talking about physics. He also knows from experience that the hard part is not keeping your ideas secret or establishing priority - it's getting people to pay attention to them!

So, Derek's advisor leaves it up to Derek how much he wants to reveal his ideas online before getting that paper on the arXiv.

But Derek and his advisor both know that as a young grad student aiming eventually for a tenured job, Derek needs to spend a lot of time publishing his butt off. Not chatting with us.

marcus said:
thanks for leaving us something to think about. Hope you all enjoyed Suzhou.

Yes, thank you! We enjoyed it immensely - the many gardens, the network of canals, and especially the http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/diary/suzhou/suzhou-ping-tan.jpg" - you may need to scroll down a bit.

I've was fascinated by Marco Polo's description of Hangzhou (you may also visit?)

No, we didn't visit the nearby city of Hangzhou on this trip, and my plans to visit Zhenghan Wang there have fallen through, but we will visit there and see the West Lake, and we're sort of dreaming of taking a boat from there to Suzhou, so we can spend a night or two in an old http://www.the-silk-road.com/hotel/pingjianghotel/" that we chanced upon during our last visit.
He was impressed that if you had some free time you could rent a boat and take a picnic lunch and a party of friends out on the lake or the canals---and if you didn't happen to have a picnic lunch and ladies with you then you could rent a boat that was ALREADY PROVISIONED with both.

I like that idea, but Lisa will be there, so we'll probably just take the boat and maybe a picnic lunch, and skip the ladies.

I think Suzhou is known as China's "Venice" but IIRC Hangzhou was Polo's favorite. Unless I'm dreaming he also said that those 13th century Hongzhou merchants were so rich that they burned ornamentally carved logs in the fireplace.

Wow. Hangzhou was the capital of China during the Southern Sung, after the Mongols invaded the northern capital in 1127, and before they invaded Hangzhou in 1279. It's been a beautiful place ever since, I guess. Suzhou is a bit less important - I don't actually know its history well at all - but it's famous for gardens, canals and silk.

Anyway, let's talk about Cartan geometry a bit. I'm afraid my output here will slow down now that I have my own blog - or rather, a blog I'm sharing with David Corfield and Urs Schreiber, called http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/" .

But, we should at least get this Cartan connection business straight!

This P is a PRINCIPAL BUNDLE with the circle group, so I picture the fibers as circles over points in the base manifold M, and one could take a local trivialization and look at the tangent space. A tangent vector would consist of a tiny bit of motion on the floor (M) and a tiny bit of turning.

That sounds about right - there are some tricky things here, but I think it's right.

Naively it wouldn't matter for such small things which you did first so you could imagine it as a tiny turn followed by a tiny budge in a certain direction.

To first order, yes.

This has to be mapped linear isometrically to so(3) the infinitesimal rotations, but I picture them as the same thing: a tiny turn around the axis where you are, and a tiny roll in a certain direction.

Nothing about "isometrically" in the definition of Cartan connection, but if you just said "isomorphically" you'd be right - and more importantly, your picture is the right one.

(Isomorphic mean 1-1 and onto (in this context), while isometric means distance-preserving.)

So at the moment this w thing, the linear map between tangentspace P and so(3), looks to me remarkably like a natural identification. But I could be wrong and would feel much better if someone else confirms this...

It's not a natural identification unless we trivialize P, writing it as a product of M and the circle. Trivializing a bundle gives it a connection in the usual Ehresmann sense, and I guess that's true for Cartan connections too. But, we don't want to trivialize our bundles; we want to keep things '"floppy" enough so there's a choice of connection.

But anyway: yes - if we know how to roll our surface on our surface M, we know a linear isomorphism from any tangent space of P to the Lie algebra so(3). And this is our Cartan connection.

Last call

I'll be glad to explain the rest of the clauses in this definition if anyone wants...

A Cartan geometry consists of the following. A smooth manifold M, a Lie group H having Lie algebra Lie(H), a principal H-bundle P on M, a Lie group G with Lie algebra Lie(G) containing H as a subgroup, and a "Cartan connection". A Cartan connection is a Lie(G)-valued 1-form [tex]w[/tex] on P satisfying:

1. [tex]w[/tex] is a linear isomorphism from the tangent space of P to Lie(G)

2. for all h in H [tex]R(h)^* w = Ad(h^{-1})w[/tex]

3. [tex]w(X+) = X[/tex] for all [tex]X[/tex] in Lie(H).

where [tex]X+[/tex] is the vector field on P corresponding to the Lie algebra element [tex]X[/tex] in Lie(H), and [tex]R(h^{-1})^*[/tex] says how an element h of H acts on 1-forms on P.

... or maybe this thread has done its job.

john baez said:
I'll be glad to explain the rest of the clauses in this definition if anyone wants...

Nobody in his right mind turns down such an offer.
careless of me to say metric when I meant morphic, sorry.

BTW I'm beginning to crave the next Baratin-Freidel paper. Wonder if it will be coming out in the next month or two. (or if anyone who is not actually Baratin or Freidel would have any way of telling)

Hi John Baez and Marcus:

I know that I would like to learn more if I can.

The concept is more of a one to one relationship than an identity.

I probably am taking this concept too far, but if this concept could be genelaized to roll, yaw, pitch with an eigen axis then there may be correlation with NCG-space: X+, Y+, Z+ as vector fields, all X,Y,Z in Lie(H).

Could this concept also be expanded to cycldes? - or generalized to non-distance-preserving, but ratio-perseving situations such as gauge or scale transformations [2-1, 3-1 ,,,]?
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cyclide.html

marcus said:
Nobody in his right mind turns down such an offer.
careless of me to say metric when I meant morphic, sorry.

No prob. But actually it seems my attention has drifted elsewhere, along with everyone else's... I'm too absorbed posting stuff about logic on my blog! So, let's leave it at this for now.

last call still answerable?

john baez said:
Yes, please!

I've been away for a couple of weeks at the Burning Man festival, where I harassed (in a friendly way) some string theorists by making a public bet with them regarding the (non)appearance of superparticles at the LHC. I also hung out and talked with an interesting fellow, Michael Edwards, in Santa Cruz about BRST geometry. I was hoping JB would continue this thread on Cartan geometry here, but it looks like he's been sidetracked :( , though no doubt productively. Is there any hope of bringing him back for a little clarification on this definition? I think I mostly understand this:

A Cartan geometry consists of the following. A smooth manifold M, a Lie group H having Lie algebra Lie(H), a principal H-bundle P on M, a Lie group G with Lie algebra Lie(G) containing H as a subgroup, and a Cartan connection. A Cartan connection is a Lie(G)-valued 1-form [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex] on P satisfying
1. [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex] is a linear isomorphism from the tangent space of P to Lie(G).
2. [itex]R(h)^* \underrightarrow{w} = h^- \underrightarrow{w} h [/itex] for all h in H.
3. [itex]\vec{\xi_X} \underrightarrow{w} = X [/itex] for all X in Lie(H).
where [itex]\vec{\xi_X}[/itex] is the vector field on P corresponding to the Lie algebra element X in Lie(H), and R(h)* says how an element h of H acts on 1-forms on P.

Here's my take on it:

(1) says the star of the show is a Lie(G) valued 1-form, which we can write on local coordinate patches of P as
[tex]
\underrightarrow{w} = \underrightarrow{dx^i} w_i{}^B T_B + \underrightarrow{dy^a} w_a{}^B T_B
[/tex]
where group elements, h, of H are described by some coordinates, [itex]y^a[/itex], and the [itex]x^i[/itex] are coordinates over M. So p=(x,y) are coordinates over patches of P, which can also be labeled by the M coordinate and H element, p=(x,h), since H elements are specified by y coordinate, h(y). This 1-form allows us to take any path on P and map its tangent vector at each point to a Lie(G) element, which we can then integrate along the path to get an element of G. In the rolling sphere example, this G element tells us how the sphere rotates.

(3) directly relates motion along the "vertical" H part of P to the corresponding Lie(H) generators which are a subalgebra of Lie(G). Specifically, a Lie(H) generator gives a flow of the points of P by (I presume?) acting on the vertical parts from the right: [itex]p T_a = (x, h T_a)[/itex]. This flow is associated with a vector field,
[tex]
\vec{\xi_a} \underrightarrow{\partial} p = \xi_a{}^b \partial_b p = p T_a
[/tex]
and this vector field, [itex]\xi_a{}^b[/itex], can be calculated explicitly, depending on how P (and H) is coordinatized by x and y. Now, (3) says the Cartan connection must satisfy
[tex]
\vec{\xi_a} \underrightarrow{w} = T_a
[/tex]
which, since [itex]\xi[/itex] is an invertible square matrix, completely determines the "vertical acting" part of w,
[tex]
w_a{}^B = \xi^-_a{}^B
[/tex]
Looked at another way, this says the vertical part of the Cartan connection is the same as the Maurer-Cartan connection for the H. The other part of the Cartan connection must describe the bumpiness of the surface.

Now (2) I'm not so clear on, and could use some help. It sort of looks like the way you'd want to describe a gauge transformation of a connection, but seems a little strange to me. Maybe John Baez can chime in and let me know if my expanded descriptions of (1) and (3) are OK, and help me out by clarifying the meaning of (2)?

Last edited:
Hmm, crickets... ah well, I'm used to talking to myself, so I can have a go at explaining (2) to myself. I think the key is that [itex]R(h)[/itex] is an automorphism of P -- mapping points of P to other points of P via right action by h:
[tex]
p_2 = R(h) p_1 = R(h) (x,h_1) = (x,h_1 h) = (x,h_2)
[/tex]
So [itex]R(h)^* \underrightarrow{w}[/itex] is the pullback of the [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex] 1-form at [itex]p_2[/itex] to [itex]p_1[/itex], where it is restricted to equal [itex]h^- \underrightarrow{w} h[/itex]. This restriction implies that if we know what [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex] is along any section in P, (2) tells us what [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex] is over all of P -- since we can get to the other points by acting with R(h) for any h. Cool. And, once again, this same restriction is satisfied by the Maurer-Cartan connection over group manifolds.

Subsequently, (2) implies that we can describe the connection via a Lie(G) valued 1-form over patches of M, with some local trivializing section presumed. I think this use came up earlier.

The next interesting things to consider are covariant derivatives, and the curvature of this Cartan connection. Hmm, I think if the curvature vanishes, [itex]\underrightarrow{w}[/itex] is the Maurer-Cartan connection, with P taken as the base space for G.

Maybe someone will correct me. Or maybe not.

Last edited:
MacDowell-Mansouri gravity and Cartan Geometry

Hi!

For anyone still interested in how Cartan geomtry is about "rolling a homogeneous space on a manifold", I explain a bunch of this in my new paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0611154

-DeReK

derekwise said:
Hi!

For anyone still interested in how Cartan geomtry is about "rolling a homogeneous space on a manifold", I explain a bunch of this in my new paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0611154

-DeReK

thanks. looks like a very helpful paper!

Yep, Derek's written an excellent expository paper that fills in a lot of geometric details and background behind BF gravity. It's also quite readable.

Perhaps now that he's let his cat out of its bag he'll come talk to us again on this thread, or on his.

this thread has a lot of conversation between Garrett Lisi and John Baez about things that might be relevant to Garrett's recent paper, so i thought I'd bring it back from the limbo of Forgotten Threads

This thread needs updating. Quite a lot of research has come out in the wake of what John Baez and Garrett Lisi were discussing here. I will try to catch it up a little. Others' help woud be very welcome.

In fact, JB and Garrett were talking about some work by Derek Wise and as it happens Derek published a paper just last month (August 2009) which continues the line of research they were discussing.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.1738
Symmetric Space Cartan Connections and Gravity in Three and Four Dimensions
Derek K. Wise
Article prepared for special journal issue dedicated to Elie Cartan
SIGMA 5 (2009), 080, 18 pages
(Submitted on 10 Apr 2009, revised for publication 3 Aug 2009)
"Einstein gravity in both 3 and 4 dimensions, as well as some interesting generalizations, can be written as gauge theories in which the connection is a Cartan connection for geometry modeled on a symmetric space. The relevant models in 3 dimensions include Einstein gravity in Chern-Simons form, as well as a new formulation of topologically massive gravity, with arbitrary cosmological constant, as a single constrained Chern-Simons action. In 4 dimensions the main model of interest is MacDowell-Mansouri gravity, generalized to include the Immirzi parameter in a natural way. I formulate these theories in Cartan geometric language, emphasizing also the role played by the symmetric space structure of the model. I also explain how, from the perspective of these Cartan-geometric formulations, both the topological mass in 3d and the Immirzi parameter in 4d are the result of non-simplicity of the Lorentz Lie algebra so(3,1) and its relatives. Finally, I suggest how the language of Cartan geometry provides a guiding principle for elegantly reformulating any 'gauge theory of geometry'."

Derek will be giving a talk next week in Corfu, on Saturday 19 September. John Baez is giving a series of 5 lectures at the Corfu QG School.

Last edited: