What Are the Dimensions for Force and Distance in This Problem?

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the question asks for the dimensions of P, x, y, and z. P represents a force and has dimensions of mass, length, and time (ML/T^2). When differentiating P twice with respect to x and y, the dimensions for dP/dx will be M/T^2. This is because x and y represent distances and the only distance in the equation is L. The dimensions for the ratio, which is equivalent to taking the derivative, will be the same as the derivative itself. The provided picture is not equivalent to (dP/dx)*(dP/dy).
pyroknife

Homework Statement

Let P represent a force and x, y, and z represent distances. Determine the dimensions for each of the quantities listed below.

I attached the problem I need help with. (it's a small picture)
So I'm a bit confused since the it involves both dx and dy.

The dimensions for P is (ML/T^2)
Where M=mass
L=length
T=time

Then I have to differentiate it twice but with two different variables. Since x and y refer to distances and the only distance found in that equation is L.

Would that mean the dimensions for dP/dx = M/T^2 ?

If so, would that mean the answer to the 2nd derivative still be the same answer since they're differentiating between different variables? (I'm not sure if I worded this right, but I remember from Calc III something similar)
On a side note. I took calculus quite a while ago so some of this I might have forgotten.
The picture I provided, that is not equivalent to (dP/dx)*(dP/dy) right?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    907 bytes · Views: 368
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A derivative is the limit of a certain ratio. It has the same dimensions as the ratio. What dimensions does the ratio have?

1. How do you determine the dimensions of an object?

The dimensions of an object can be determined by measuring its length, width, and height using a ruler, measuring tape, or other measuring tools.

2. What is the importance of determining dimensions in scientific research?

Determining dimensions is important in scientific research because it allows for accurate and precise measurements, which are essential for conducting experiments and analyzing data. It also helps in understanding the physical characteristics and properties of objects.

3. Can dimensions be determined using mathematical equations?

Yes, dimensions can be determined using mathematical equations such as volume = length x width x height and surface area = 2(length x width + length x height + width x height). These equations can be used to calculate dimensions of 3-dimensional objects.

4. What is the difference between dimensions and units of measurement?

Dimensions refer to the physical size and shape of an object, while units of measurement are used to quantify and express the dimensions in a standardized way. For example, the dimension of length can be measured in different units such as centimeters, inches, or meters.

5. Are there different methods for determining dimensions?

Yes, there are different methods for determining dimensions depending on the type of object being measured. For example, 3-dimensional objects can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape, while dimensions of 2-dimensional objects can be determined using geometric formulas. Additionally, advanced techniques such as laser scanning and 3D modeling can also be used to determine dimensions.