Did You Know March 14th is Pi Day? Celebrate with Us!

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, today is Pi Day, celebrated on March 14th (3.14) because the value of pi is approximately 3.14. The day is dedicated to celebrating the mathematical constant and its importance in the world of math and science. Some suggest rounding pi to 3.0 for ease, while others argue for its exact value. The origins of Pi Day can be traced back to March 14, 1593, when the first three digits of pi were represented in the date and time.
murshid_islam
Happy Pi Day!

hi
wish you all a very happy pi day!:smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
murshid_islam said:
hi
wish you all a very happy pi day!:smile:

Mmmmmmmmmm...Apple pi. :!)

-Dan

Happy pi day to you too, murshad!

How come nobody made a fuss for e day back in February?

Happy pi day!

Last edited:
Happy [itex]\pi = 3.14[/itex] day!

<runs and hides>:uhh:

Would now be a good time to restart the debate about whether we should pass legislation redifining [tex]\pi=22/7[/tex]? ;)

Cexy -

That's a wonderful suggestion. Because politicians have trouble handling bodily functions on their own, having them mandate transcendental numbers like [tex]e[/tex] and [tex]\pi[/tex] would be lots of fun...
since "pi are round" we can ask them to round [tex]\pi = 3.0[/tex] That's close enuff. :)

Watching that made me a little bit stupider.

You all overlooked 15 hours, 92 minutes and 65.358... seconds - a slice of the pi.

Why is today called Pi Day? A few of my friends were invited to a day of math at one of the schools in our area, but I wasn't invited, and I was wondering why "Pi" has it's own day.

wScott said:
Why is today called Pi Day? A few of my friends were invited to a day of math at one of the schools in our area, but I wasn't invited, and I was wondering why "Pi" has it's own day.

I guess since the value of pi is approx. 3.14. And since today just happens to be March 14th (3.14), its called pi day.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_341.html

Heh...the real "pi day" was actually March 14, 1593 :biggrin:
(rounded up '3' from the '6')

bomba923 said:
Heh...the real "pi day" was actually March 14, 1593 :biggrin:
(rounded up '3' from the '6')

According to Wikipedia,
"The "ultimate" pi moment occurred on March 14, 1592, at 6:53 AM and 58 seconds."

More Pi trivia from links at https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/2006/03/13/pi-day/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Happy Pi Day?

Happy Pi Day is a celebration of the mathematical constant pi, which is approximately equal to 3.14. It falls on March 14th (3/14) because the first three digits of pi are 3.14.

Why is Pi Day celebrated?

Pi Day is celebrated to honor and bring awareness to the importance of pi in mathematics and its applications in our everyday lives. It is also a fun way to celebrate and appreciate the beauty of numbers.

How is Pi Day celebrated?

Pi Day is celebrated in various ways, such as eating circular foods (like pizza or pie), participating in pi-related activities or competitions, and reciting or memorizing digits of pi.

What is the significance of pi?

Pi is a mathematical constant that is used to calculate the circumference, area, and volume of circles and spheres. It is also present in many equations and formulas in mathematics and science, making it an essential and fascinating number.

Who created Pi Day?

Pi Day was created by physicist Larry Shaw in 1988 at the San Francisco Exploratorium. It was officially recognized as a national holiday in the United States in 2009 by the US House of Representatives.