What is Pi Day and why do nerds celebrate it?

• Thread starter Chestermiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, nerds all over the world are celebrating Pi Day, a holiday dedicated to the mathematical constant pi. Some argue for using the tau, or 2pi, symbol instead, and others celebrate on June 28. However, for those who missed out on Pi Day, there's always Tau Day on July 22. And for those in the UK, the concept of Pi Day on 3/14 may seem strange due to the date format, but it's still a fun day for math enthusiasts everywhere.
Chestermiller
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
2023 Award
Nerds of the world are celebrating our annual nerd-o-rama, Pi Day. Have a great one.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do we need a symbol for ##\displaystyle \frac \tau 2##? June 28 is the right date for celebration!

Likes DocZaius, ProfuselyQuarky, ShayanJ and 2 others
But we can at least celebrate Einstein's birthday.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and mfb
Chestermiller said:
Nerds of the world are celebrating...
Nerds of the United States, Belize and Micronesia (and maybe some Canadians), apparently. The rest of us have to wait until 22 July.:smile:

Likes davenn and mfb
Greg Bernhardt said:
My wife got pie to eat at work. I did not :(
Don't worry Greg! Tau Day is just around the corner and you can make it up with 2 pies! :-p

I had a great [itex] \pi [/itex] Day.

Good times had by all.

Greg Bernhardt said:
My wife got pie to eat at work. I did not :(

but did your work colleagues get you a birthday cake ?

Goodness! You youngsters!
We still celebrate pi day on 22nd of July.

(Of course, in UK Monday was 14/3 and we don't get a 31/4, so your pi day is a bit of a mystery to us.)

Merlin3189 said:
Goodness! You youngsters!
We still celebrate pi day on 22nd of July.

(Of course, in UK Monday was 14/3 and we don't get a 31/4, so your pi day is a bit of a mystery to us.)
Yeah, that's me. But the 22nd of July is Pi Approximation Day . . . a totally different holiday :smile:

And 3/14 is spot on?
Actually I think 22/7 is nearer than 3/14 by about 3.28 x 10-4, but 3/142016 is closer.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and mfb
You could celebrate on 3/14 at 1:59:27, that is pretty accurate (or :26 if you prefer correct digits over rounding).

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Merlin3189 said:
And 3/14 is spot on?
Actually I think 22/7 is nearer than 3/14 by about 3.28 x 10-4, but 3/142016 is closer.
True, but that's just what people call it, so I go with it.

What is "Nerds Unite....Happy Pi Day"?

"Nerds Unite....Happy Pi Day" is a celebration that takes place on March 14th (3/14) to honor the mathematical constant, Pi. It is a day for people to come together, share their love for math and science, and have fun with activities and challenges related to Pi.

Why is Pi important?

Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and it is approximately equal to 3.14159. It is an irrational number, meaning that it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. Pi is important in many fields, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and even in everyday life. It is used in calculations for area, volume, and other geometric properties.

How do people celebrate "Nerds Unite....Happy Pi Day"?

People celebrate "Nerds Unite....Happy Pi Day" in various ways, depending on their interests and creativity. Some common ways to celebrate include baking or eating pie, participating in Pi-themed games or challenges, reciting Pi digits, and attending math or science events. Social media also plays a big role, with people using the hashtag #PiDay to share their celebrations.

When did "Nerds Unite....Happy Pi Day" start?

"Nerds Unite....Happy Pi Day" was first celebrated in 1988 by physicist Larry Shaw at the Exploratorium in San Francisco. Since then, it has become a popular holiday among math and science enthusiasts, with more and more people joining the celebration every year.

How can I participate in "Nerds Unite....Happy Pi Day"?

You can participate in "Nerds Unite....Happy Pi Day" by organizing or attending events, sharing your celebrations on social media, or simply enjoying some pie and discussing the wonders of Pi with friends and family. You can also support math and science education by donating to organizations that promote STEM fields.