"Is Google Trends the Ultimate Time-Wasting Tool for Geeks?

In summary, the conversation discusses various topics and trends explored through Google Trends. The conversation covers topics such as wasting time on useless graphs, spelling errors in search terms, and regional data on certain search terms. The speakers also mention the prevalence of American English and the regional distribution of certain searches. The conversation also touches on some religious and political topics, as well as the use of hyperlinks. Finally, the conversation ends with a mention of sinusoidal graphs and the normalization process used by Google Trends.
Physics news on Phys.org
AHAHAHAH Heartless, I serached those too. The middle east LOVES the smut. That's what happens to all those repressed people over there. :smile: !

That is not the first time pakistan is at the head of the class.

panic

Why the Hockey-stick shape?

Very interesting regional data on some of those. But it's not clear how they do the normalization...

Yeah, it seems Pakistan is always #1 in everything...

moving on:

diplomacy, war

cyrus said:
I dedicate this to Gokul.
Ooh, thanks...I guess (?)

Looks like American English is getting more pervasive than Brit English.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=maximise,+maximize&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all
Look at the relative numbers in Asia and Aurope; it's close even in England and Ireland.

And strangely, 'minimize' trumps 'minimise' even in England and Ireland. It's only the Aussies and Kiwis that're still holding out !

PS : They're talking about this right now on the radio (specifically the regional distribution of the 'sex' search).

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Ooh, thanks...I guess (?)

Looks like American English is getting more pervasive than Brit English.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=maximise,+maximize&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all
Look at the relative numbers in Asia and Aurope; it's close even in England and Ireland.

And strangely, 'minimize' trumps 'minimise' even in England and Ireland. It's only the Aussies and Kiwis that're still holding out !

Am I missing something here? When I looked at the regional distribution, both the UK and Ireland have more in maximiSe than in maximiZe :confused:

This one's kind of scary: Kerry

How do you make hyperlinks like that Manchot?

Last edited:
I wonder how they do the normalization.

They just get rid of the abnormalness, duh.

Related to "Is Google Trends the Ultimate Time-Wasting Tool for Geeks?

1. What is Google Trends?

Google Trends is a free online tool provided by Google that allows users to see the popularity of search terms and topics over time. It displays data in the form of graphs and charts, making it easy to visualize trends and patterns.

2. How can Google Trends be used?

Google Trends can be used for a variety of purposes, such as market research, content creation, and SEO optimization. It can also be used to track the popularity of specific topics, products, or events over time.

3. Is Google Trends accurate?

While Google Trends provides valuable insights, it should not be used as the sole source of data. The accuracy of the data can be affected by various factors, such as sample size and search term variations.

4. Can Google Trends be used for predicting future trends?

Google Trends can provide insights into current and past trends, but it should not be relied upon for predicting future trends. Other factors, such as external events and changes in consumer behavior, can greatly impact trends.

5. Is Google Trends the ultimate time-wasting tool for geeks?

Google Trends can be a useful tool for geeks, but it should not be used as a time-wasting tool. It is important to use it purposefully and not get caught up in analyzing data that may not be relevant to your goals.