How to Prove Vectors are Perpendicular Using Dot Products

• Thread starter finkeroid99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
So, in summary, the conversation discusses the idea of vectors and their properties, specifically focusing on the relationship between the magnitude of two vectors and their perpendicularity. The first question is solved using dot products and it is shown that for |a-b|=|a+b| to be valid, the two vectors must be perpendicular. The second question asks to prove that a parallelogram is a rectangle if and only if its diagonals are equal in length, and it is deduced that this is true based on the first question. The importance of using words and not solely relying on mathematical symbols is emphasized.
finkeroid99
Hello I was doing some study for a maths test involving vectors when I came across this question:

For non zero vectors show that: |a-b|=|a+b| if and only if a and b are perpendicular.
Deduce that a parallelogram is a rectangle if and only if its diagonals are equal in length.

I did the first question using dot products:

|a-b|=|a+b|
|a-b|^2=|a+b|^2
(a-b).(a.b)=(a+b).(a+b)
|a|^2+|b|^2-2|a||b|cosX=|a|^2+|b|^2+2|a||b|cosX
-2|a||b|cosX=+2|a||b|cosX
-cosX=cosX
Therefore cosX=0
x=90, 270, 480...etc.
Thus vector a and vector b must be perpendicular for|a-b|=|a+b| to be valid.

I'm not sure if this way is correct though...

Could someone please check if the stuff that I've done above is right? Also, could I get some help doing the second part of teh question? Thank you it will be much apprechiated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. [tex] A-B = (A_{x} - B_{x}, A_{y}-B_{y}) [/tex] and

[tex] A+B = (A_{x} + B_{x}, A_{y}+B_{y}) [/tex]

If [tex] A [/tex] and [tex] B [/tex] are perpendicular, then [tex] A \bullet B = 0 [/tex] or [tex] A_{x}B_{x} + A_{y}B_{y} = 0 [/tex]

You also know that [tex] (A_{x}-B_{x})^{2} +(A_{y}-B_{y})^{2} = (A_{x}+B_{x})^{2} +(A_{y}+B_{y})^{2} [/tex]

So how would you go from there?For the second question use the parallelogram law (i.e. proof of the commutative law of vector addition)

Last edited:
Ah, so you expand and simplify:
[tex] (A_{x}-B_{x})^{2} +(A_{y}-B_{y})^{2} = (A_{x}+B_{x})^{2} +(A_{y}+B_{y})^{2} [/tex], which eventually equals:
[tex] A_{x}B_{x} + A_{y}B_{y} = 0 [/tex]
Thus proving that A is perpendicular to B, and that |a-b|=|a+b|is only true under this circumstance. (I'm still a little unsure about the formal wording at the end of the proof)

The second question about the parallelogram, is basically asking to prove the first question. What does the word "deduce" ask you to do?

So draw a parallelogram and let |a-b| be one diagonal and |a+b| be another diagonal. You know that they are equal if a and b are perpendicular. Thus we have a rectangle. QED

Last edited:
I understand now. Thank you for your help and quick response.

finkeroid99 said:
I did the first question using dot products:

|a-b|=|a+b|
|a-b|^2=|a+b|^2
(a-b).(a.b)=(a+b).(a+b)
|a|^2+|b|^2-2|a||b|cosX=|a|^2+|b|^2+2|a||b|cosX
-2|a||b|cosX=+2|a||b|cosX
-cosX=cosX
Therefore cosX=0
x=90, 270, 480...etc.
Thus vector a and vector b must be perpendicular for|a-b|=|a+b| to be valid.

Use words. Maths should not be presented as a series of symbols without any link between them. It will do you good and your teachers. There is also no need to invoke cos at all: just leave it as a.b.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

What are the components of a vector?

A vector has two components - magnitude and direction. Magnitude is the length of the arrow representing the vector, and direction is the angle at which the arrow is pointing.

How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by an arrow. Examples of scalars include temperature and speed, while examples of vectors include velocity and force.

What is the difference between a row vector and a column vector?

A row vector is a vector with its components arranged horizontally, while a column vector has its components arranged vertically. The notation for a row vector is [a b c], while the notation for a column vector is [a; b; c].

How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent physical quantities with both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. Vectors are also used in computer graphics and machine learning algorithms.